Engine & Gearbox i-ctdi: Opening oil filler cap whilst engine running

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rayhoop, Tuesday 24th Sep, 2013.

1. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    If you open the oil filler cap on your ICTDI whilst the engine is running, should you experience negative pressure or positive?
    I.e. if you remove the cap and then hold it gently against the threads, does the cap get sucked down or lightly blown away from the engine?

I would have though the cap would be lightly blown outwards (due to a bit of pressure passing by the rings and the engine breathing).

Now.. on a hot engine, should it be spitting oil out at you?! Not huge gobbings, bit little spittles accompanied with visible oil vapour?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Diesels not my cup of tea but thinking about it I would imagine you should get some blow by, like you do on a petrol.

I can't see why you would get vacuum like suck.

Let's see what others have to say.

4. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    the air is blown out, but just a bit as it's normal air movement caused by moving parts in the head like valves etc, if it's blowing hard then it means that there may by problme with valves that they are not holding pressure and no, oil should't spit on you

5. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Hmmmm thought so.
    I might have to keep an eye on it. Although, its not like I'm going to spend any money to get it fixed...

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You need to wait until your engine is fully hot before looking at how much blow by you have. A cold engine will always have more blow by.

If your car is performing OK and your not losing oil don't worry about it.

7. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    The car was hot for sure - I had just thrashed the pants off it for the hour drive home. I'm guessing there was oil on the gauze, dripping back in and the pressure was causing little spits to spray up. It wasnt a huge volume of oil.

Oil level is fine, and is the same as a couple of months back. Oil level barely moves on my car. I might have to top it up once between services, all depends on how I have been driving.

If I'm totally honest - I was thrashing it to see if anything broke :Whistle:

164k miles now. MOT is due Nov 21st (I'll get it done end of Oct). Engine light is on more often than not (inlet runner manifold valve: P2004), and I was conpemplating whether I get the spanners out and clean up the intake system + EGR, and replace the valve. And change the Aux belt for the shorter version... see if that helps quieten the engine down a bit.

I just had 3 of 4 Epsilion wheels scrubbed down around the tyre seal area, as the corrosion was so bad the tyres were loosing pressure. If it happens again they will need a refurb - which I want to avoid (approx £200 for a full sand blast, repair (if req) and powder coating etc from BJV Eng, which happens to be near to).

If it passes the MOT, I probably swap out the belt and clean up the intake and EGR system (with a diy guide written in the process :Smile:). Will see what happens. Either way, I want to spend minimal on the car (other than regular servicing - I never let up on that) to keep it running...

8. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I've been driving with the P2004 on and off for 8 few months now. Luckily it was off at the time I had my MOT last month. It's annoying but got used to it now. Will fix it at some point ...

9. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Yup - same. Mine has been kicking up the P2004 for quite a while... Since early 2012. If/when the engine light extinguishes, it usually comes back on the next time I drive - I'll get the car up to temp, cruise at motorway speeds for a while then as I slow down on a slip road the engine light will come back on. Mine has been through an MOT with the light on. I'm hoping it does so again.