Engine & Gearbox i-CTDi Timing chain replaced.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Topper Harley, Thursday 23rd May, 2013.

1. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eventually got round to changing my timing chain yesterday . Was expecting it to be a tuff job but wasn't so bad.

I did take picture's of the job but my camera has gone on strike !!!. Will try and sort and post them.

Sounds so much better now so happy days . Silence .......... :OTT: .

SpeedyGee likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Timing chain replaced.

Good stuff TP looking forward to your guide.

3. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Timing chain replaced.

Not what you would call a complete guide but here are a few picture's that may help somebody .

First off get the engine up to temp,may make the injector removal easy'er .

View attachment 9640

Injectors removed.

004-3_zpsd5f07aa9.

014-1_zps74095368.
    Remove cam cover.

014-1_zps74095368.

Next is the crank pulley. Forgot to take picture's ooopppppssss!!!.

Drain oil .
    014-1_zps74095368.

Remove the sump. Little bit of a faff. You need to remove both rear and side engine mount as well as aircon pump and mount.
    Jack the engine up and drop the subframe down inch or two.
    014-1_zps74095368.
    Remove the chain cover.
    008-2_zps3da5c9b9.
    Line up timing marks.
    009-1_zpsabad18ab.

Remove chain tensioners and chain
    010-2_zpsb867db68.

New chain fitted.
    011-2_zps1f63532d.
    011-2_zps1f63532d.
    Cleaned the sump and chain cover.
    013-3_zps6e0f802b.

Check oil pick up too while sump is off. Mine was perfect.

Reassemble and listen to silence !!!!!!!

015-3_zps5217aa37.

Not the best guide out there but gives you an idea of the work involved.

rayhoop, Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good job,hats off to you.

Topper Harley likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent work buddy how come you didnt change the sprockets? Worn sprockets wear a chain faster. Or you planning to get rid of her :Wink:

6. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hadn't planned on changing the sprockets to be honest. Not planning on selling any time soon,should see me for a good few years to come.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fair enough bud. I am just a stickler to be by the book. :Wink: Thanks for posting your DIY surely will get others to try it.

That white scooby yours? :Devil:

8. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know what you mean about the sprockets but i had to do it to a budget,seems good anyway so happy days.

Yes that's my pride and joy in the back ground. It's a 1997 Wrx STi type RA. Standard as it left the factory :Thumbup: . Not many about now.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was drooling over that more than the your Accord, I knew it was a rare scoob just by the spoiler.wicked car that.

10. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers mate.

Rare to get any classic Japanese car in standard form now.
    Hate to see them chaved up with stupid after market lights and covered in stickers :Angry: .

Last edited: Friday 24th May, 2013
  11. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well done dude, bin chasing that noise around the engine myself and have had to admit to myself that my chain is noisy too :Frown: . Do you have an idea where the row comes from? i mean is the chain touching something it shouldn't, or has the chain tensioner adjusted up all it can and its just noisy on the sprockets with the slack?
    regards Sid.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You even got a carcoon that a well pampered car. even the rear arches are in white none of that silly undercoating ..cool as hell.

My first gen even does not have that ..:Sobbing:
    It superb leave it as is. You don't even have go fast strip none of the sponsor sticker which give you 4 BHP per sticker.:Rolf:

Do you show your car?

13. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Was at Mallory park last weekend for a club meet (Type RA.com). Take it out for a drive maybe once a year that's it.
    Well looked after alright :Smile: .

- - - Updated - - -

It does sound strange the noise it makes.
    I think its down to chain wear caused by poor oil/oil contamination .
    I will have to look at the old chain runner guides but i can say the chain was so loose

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent Don't blame you at all , cars remain brand new if you don't drive them frequently. :Wink:

member like you keep the flaming glowing for rare cars.:GoodJob:

15. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its slowly coming to the stage where these cars are only wanted in standard form.
    Would love an old Honda or Datsun to park in the other side of the garage.

16. iceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all members,

Made that job last wednesday at honda dealer and cost me 1406 €.

All was replaced expect the injectores and pipes.

Here honda would subsidize with 50% of part cost if i had the regular maintenance invoices, but the problem is that i buy all the parts necessary and honda people do the job outside. Lot cheaper!!!

My car is going to do 9 years sunday!!!

I was very surprised and grateful with Honda behavior.

I also had to change the crankshaft poli by a second hand part that cost 100 €, because the price of a new one was 413 €

Changed the front brake discs (still the OEM one´s they judder under breaking), all the pads (front and rear) and chosed Pagid brand.

Installed Hel brake lines (carbon look) with DOT 5.1 brake fluid (as usual)

Very very nice!!

Because i had a remap (174 CV and 447 Nw), had to chang flywheel and clutch.

During accelaration the car judderd between 1500 RPM and 2500 RPM.

With the clutch changed the problem persisted, so honda guy´s foud out that it was the drive shaft´s.

Honda OEM was 600 € each!!!!

Bought blueprint for 226 € both of them!

Total cost with honda labor and some discount: 3189 €!!!

It hurted a lot !!!! :Aghast:

But when the car was runing i didn´t recognized my so silent and smooth it was!! :lol: :lol:

Cheers!!!

Last edited: Friday 24th May, 2013
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  17. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey Topper, did you notice that knacked bush on your wishbone there in the pics. :Wink:

18. teo_359 New Member Getting Started

Hi TH
    If you still keep an eye on this thread I have a question.
    I just did mine.Changed both tensioners, all guides and chains obviously.Didn't bother for the sprockets.They were good.No ridges or excessive wear so I kept them.After first start without alternator belt attached the noise from the timing chain is gone but there is still noise from the oil one.I am devastated. Spent 640 quid , did the job myself follow honda manual step by step.Every bolt torqued to the specs Could it be a bad tensioner or I messed it up somewhere. On the other hand it's a sraightforward job.

19. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure mate. Lots of people have replaced the chains guides etc and still have noise,i must be lucky!!!. I wouldn't imagine you got a faulty tensioner and fitting them is simple. Is it a chain rattle or whine??.

- - - Updated - - -

On the to do list :Thumbup: .

20. teo_359 New Member Getting Started

Sorry TH for the delay. It's like a bad or running dry ball bearing sound if you know what I mean.It's definitely quieter know but still the oil chain or that location is
    giving out this noise.Before I took on the job I spoke to many mechanics trying to find the source of the problem with this model of Honda.Many have said that poor oil / maintenance is the main source to which I could not agree totally because BMW's for example that have the same type of gear don't suffer from this issue and I don't think that their owners care more about maintenance either. So it's definitely local to Accord design and/or parts.I remember one of them( mechanic I mean) told me to change everything in the chain gear.He said everything wears and if you don't change sprockets it's like you havent done anything at all.New chain will wear down quicker than before.That is what I am affraid is happening now.
    Cheers
    teo_359