General I ditched my car (litterly)!!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by i-DSI, Saturday 2nd Jan, 2016.

1. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi guys,
    Been away quite some time of the forum. Busy times, some problems... A few weeks ago I ditched my car... in a ditch.

Positive: not injured (I was alone in the car), and the car is not total loss (but close to).
    Negative: very high repair costs. Curtain airbag, side airbag, seat belt, seat cover, SRS-unit: all needed to be replaced. And than not even one penny spent on the cosmetic part: both side doors and the left frontwheel arch are dented and scratched (but not through the paint).

I was lucky there was no water in the ditch and I did not touch anything (no other vehicles, bicycles, hard obstacles...). 'Just' hit the side wall of the ditch with my left hand side. DSC_0834[1].JPG DSC_0835[1].JPG DSC_0858[1].JPG
    At this point all safety related parts have been replaced (SRS system is 100% active again). Whole car has been checked: nothing bent or touched underneath the car and she drives like before.

What was I doing there, in a ditch?? Well, to cut a long story short: I drove to fast for the circumstances. Why? Well it's a dark road, slippery, no lighting and in my 'memory' (years ago) that curve was not a 90° one. But it was!!! It did not help to have no ideal tires (old Dunlops, although still a lot of tread). Maybe, possibly, bla bla bla.... I could have made it with better tyres. I was steering in the right direction and the VSA system worked like crazy to safe the situation, but to no vain. Tires did not find enough grip. It was big ban in my car (airbags).

So 2015 ended in a bad way. I wish you guys all a better 2016 !!!

See you.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I am really pleased that nobody was not hurt, including you. A very lucky escape, so for that we must be very grateful.

It is good to see that all those safety features were activated, but even VSA has it's limits. Your CU1 can be fixed and then you can put all of this behind you.

I hope 2016 is better for you. :fingerscrossed:

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad you escaped unhurt and everything ok with you.
    Sorry to hear about the car but it can be fixed.
    Hope you have a better 2016!

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Main thing is that no one got injured.

Hopefully you'll have your car back to full health very soon.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Glad to hear that everyone was ok. The car fulfilled its purpose and protected you. I know it hurts to see your pride and joy dented and damaged but it will live once again. Wishing your CU1 a quick and speedy recovery.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I can only repeat what @SpeedyGee @Nels @legend-ary and @AccordCU2 have already said.

The repairs will make for an interesting and useful project log entry I guess - looking for a small silver lining?

Glad nobody was hurt.

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So glad to see you were not injured cars can be repaired quickly. Bodies take a lot longer and sometimes don't heal.

Hope you have a happier 2016.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I already spent 3800 euro: 120 euro on towing plus full repair of SRS system (3677 euro).
    The rest is cosmetic and can wait until I find some second hand parts.
    Thanks for the replies ! Most important is indeed no injuries.
    I could not wait and take time to repair myself. It took the Honda dealer 10 hours of work. I need the car daily for my job.

Last edited: Sunday 3rd Jan, 2016
  9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Sorry to see/hear of the car being damaged, glad you are okay and nothing or noone else was involved.

You remember the VSA working like crazy, which confirms to me that VSA and the likes is a huge distraction. It is a fantastic system when used in controlled tests, but on the road, especially as you have now seen, it is massively flawed when any form of speed is involved and the fact it completely removes another tool to assist you out of a situation (the throttle) is the main factor in my always having it turned off (even though I know CJ drives like a pussy and loves it :Tongue: )

Hope you manage to get it fixed or replaced reasonably quickly and cost effectively too. Glad noone was hurt.

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Thanks, but can't agree with above. The VSA did help me. 100% sure.
    I only needed to concentrate on one thing: steer in the right direction (what I did).
    Thanks to VSA:
    - the car did not slide with its nose down in the ditch (I came perfectly parallel with the ditch before going down)
    - A lot of speed was taken out of the car
    You should have seen that corner! A real, 100%, 90 degree one. And me diving in to it assuming it was a soft bent of the road... (it was completely dark).
    In just a few meters (5 tot 15) my car was able to 'make' the turn, just slided off course because of the momentum and not enough grip on the wet, slippery road. It's all my own fault, nobody to blame but myself. A hard lesson learned.
    I'm pretty sure I would have dived nose down without VSA.
    It was 100% a misjudgement, no other factors in the game (no alcohol, not tired, no other traffic...).

PeteMM likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will run ring around you son .. you will look stupid..:money:
    - - - Updated - - -
    @i-DSI mate gutted for you , this is awful hope you get your car repaired quickly will your Honda contact assist in the spares and repairs?

MickyB, PeteMM and legend-ary like this.
  12. Rorton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rich Uk
    ouch, glad everyone is OK,

13. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    The most important thing is - you, your family and other persons are O.K. !!! :Niceone:

14. Ramakers New Member Getting Started

Netherlands Ramakers Susteren
    Hey I-DSI, bad luck!!! But fortunate it's just the car and not you. Of you need a replacement bumper there is one on dutch marktplaats.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Thanks, but I need both left hand doors and front wing...
    See attached picture. Took it today. That side looks like an old newspaper :Sobbing: DSC_0940[1].JPG

MickyB likes this.
  16. Ramakers New Member Getting Started

Netherlands Ramakers Susteren
    That side looks quite painful and expensive... But mostly replacement parts, and just a small dent under the driver's door. Good luck with fixing.

17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear about this I-DSI

Glad no one was hurt and your car is reparable. Unfortunately it has been expensive but fortunately it is replaceable parts and not a twisted sub-frame.

Hope you get her back to full tip top condition soon. :fingerscrossed: