Engine & Gearbox I-DTEC Clutch

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by 19Seamus54, Sunday 1st Apr, 2012.

1. 19Seamus54 New Member Getting Started

Hi

I have a 2.2 I-DTEC, my fourth Accord, and I am experiencing what appears to be a slipping clutch. Symptoms are, when under acceleration, the gear change indicator light appears followed by a more rapid increase in engine speed with no corresponding increase in road speed. In my experience when a clutch starts to slip it slips consistently until changed. In this case I can drive the car with no hint of slippage then, for no apparent reason, the symptoms appear. Extremely frustrating and un-Honda like. Any similar issues out there.

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Seamus and welcome.

It's very common for clutches on diesel Accords to wear and they often tend to slip in third or fourth rather than the lower gears.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If thats the symptom, then I question whether its the clutch at all.

Have you had your car taken back to the dealers for last summers recall where too much fuel was going into the engine causing the engine to run, even after it was turned off? Because Honda reprogrammed the ECU's, did filter changes etc to stop this. Because if you're getting more rapid engine speed (fuel going in) and no speed increase (power coming out), I would suspect this first rather than the clutch.

Mine did exactly what yours did once or twice, but after the recall work last year, its never done it at all.

(BTW, is yours an auto or manual?)

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just to add what Saj has already ,if your car is in standard warranty and your clcuth is showing signs of slipping then Honda dealers can proactively seek help from Honda to get this approved.

5. 19Seamus54 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the information. The car is a manual shift and I believe the software was updated at a recent service. For the record the car has not missed a beat for over a week. Even uphill, foot to the floor, no sign of slip so becoming more convinced it is not a clutch issue.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For peace of mind, go back to dealer and demand/ask to know if the recall work has actually been done.

Failing that, contact Honda UK and they'll tell you whether your car has had the work done - personally I would be utterly stunned to see if its the clutch thats giving you woes. Honda informed me, prior to purchase, that that had only had ONE Accord I-DTEC go wrong. Granted, that many not be the figure now, given that many examples will have changed hands a few times, but the 8th Generation is a solid car in the clutch/DMF area and outclasses its peers by a HUGE margin.

7. sev Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Could you tell me something more about that recall. I've been told that there are no outstanding reccals for my car by honda dealer but have noticed that i can't take my foot from the clutch pedal to soon after switching the engine off cause it will just "jump". Off course its on gear. I alway leave the car on gear.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

See my post #3 about the recall.

And to be honest, you shouldnt be leaving your car in gear when turning the engine off - if only from a safety aspect so that if you DID release the clutch, the car will not jolt forwards (if its in gear).

9. ExAeroOwner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 2009, I-DTEC. It was out of warranty when I bought it (ex-lease). It has been dealer serviced all the way – now at 90,000 miles.

I have exactly the same symptoms as the original post.

I've been driving for at least three months like this (4,000 miles). Rarely does the issue occur as I generally don’t have a heavy right foot. But, on occasions when I do, the symptoms appear 50% of the time.

She is due for a service soon. Can my dealer tell me if the recall work completed? If it is found that the work hasn’t been done, is it still covered by the recall or am I out of luck due to the lapsed warranty?
    Has anyone else had or come across the exact same issue as per the original post. If so, what was the eventual outcome?

Thanks

Peter

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just ask the dealer to check if any o/standing recall work remains. Warranty or not, if there are items that need dong as part of recalls, they will do them.

11. ExAeroOwner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No worries :Smile:

13. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    can't you just go on the Honda website and put your chassis number in this will tell you if have any issues regarding recall work ?

14. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

After the expensive repairs to my 7th generation clutch last week at 125,000 miles (posted under a seperate thread) I am hoping my car will be replaced in the coming months for a new one.
    Can anyone please tell me if the clutch and DMF on the 8th generation I-DTEC has been modified or beefed up from the 7th generation which has experienced lots of clutch problems?

Thank you.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I-DTEC engine and clutch does not have the same gremlins as the I-CTDI. Aftermarket will be limited as the facelift 8th Generation Accords can detect a remap which will invalidate your warranty.

But cowboys around the Halifax way will remove DTC code for remap detection and host of other DTC which will never give you a true picture of your car. Then you will need a aftermarket clutch by then you will be referred to a Leeds company for a referral backhander.:Whistle:

Keep your car stock and you will not need a aftermarket clutch. If you want a faster diesel then buy a Type-S if that does press your buttons the further afield..but don't make a Honda diesel faster by remaps if you want reliability.

Simple really if you think about it logically.:Wink:

16. ExAeroOwner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm another 1,200 miles on the clock. The symptoms are no better/no worse. Presume therefore it isn't the clutch. Also, I don't have the overrun issue (never have) mentioned as a possible symptom, when switching off the engine.

I have tried to PM the original poster of this thread - but no reply. Anyone else out there experiencing the same issue?

Thanks Peter

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did you get your car checked by Honda to see if there is any o/standing recall work that needs doing?

If your symptoms are unchanged, then yes I agree, its not the clutch at all. Engine-overreving as I understand it, has nothing to do with the clutch so could just be a software/ECU issue that Honda did the recall for last summer.

Since I had mine done, I've had no issues at all - I know the diesel/clutch on any car can be an issue, but I swear by mine 101% as being the best DMF/clutch set up I have ever experienced - and I have had lots of that with previous cars I have owned, all of which in hindsight were bloody awful buys!

18. ExAeroOwner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not been to Honda yet - service is due around three months time. I did try to locate the Honda recall site to input my VIN and check on anything outstanding for my car but, the site does not work. I'm not overly concerned about the issue as it isn't getting any worse.

I'm unclear how an engine could possibly increase its RPM without resulting in acceleration/greater speed. The symptom is just like pressing the clutch pedal slightly. Is it possible for the software/ECU to do this (disengage the clutch)?

Last edited: Monday 24th Dec, 2012
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The recall last year was designed to correct the ECU, since this controls the throttle electronically - thats why RPM increased. With the updated ECU, it is no longer an issue. :Thumbup:

20. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Saja,
    It's technically impossible to increase RPM and not have any acceleration/higher speed if you do not press the clutchpedal or have clutch slip. There is no funcion in the software to disengage the clutch by the ECU. Only the driver can do this. No software rewrite can have influence on this.

EXaeroOwner was wondering if it's possible to increase RPM without acceleration: answer is no.