Engine & Gearbox I-Dtec Engine Noise

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordBuzz, Sunday 9th Nov, 2014.

1. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    Reaching out to all you 'dirty' diesel owners.

How do your engines sound? My accord has only done 39,000 miles and has been regularly serviced.

However I think it does sound quite rough on start up and lower rev accelerating. Is it just mine or is this just the I-DTEC noise?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    What brand and viscosity of oil is going in her?

3. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    I don't know if I'm being honest. It's been serviced by Honda but the last service was at a ford franchise (Evans Halshaw) so who knows what's in it

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Change the oil yourself with a new oil filter with low sap oil 0w-30 grade and check.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Even though my local Honda had just put oil in my car I wasn't sure if they had used 5W30 (which they have previously told me they put in all their cars except the Hybrid) - plus they had overfilled it - so I replaced it with Castrol Edge 0W30 and it sounded great. After 4,000 miles it did sound like it was starting to sound a little rough but then this could have just been a previously dirty engine contaminating the oil faster so I wouldn't like to be too quick to criticise Castrol oils.

So a few weeks ago I did a thorough engine flush and thought I'd try Shell Ultra Professional 5W30 A5 instead and stuck it in the engine, well that is what it was supposed to be but it turned out Euro Car Parts had given me Shell Professional 5W30 A1 and I stupidly didn't check before putting it in. The "Professional" is Synthetic Technology (i.e. part synthetic) and not Fully Synthetic like the "Ultra Professional" and the engine sounded like crap as a result. Rough, very rough. Credit to Euro Car Parts because they replaced the 15 litres of oil (I was doing the Civic also) with the Ultra Professional free of charge and with a full apology and two tins of engine flush - delivered to my work also. Excellent customer service as they could have argued that I should have also checked what I received and would have been perfectly right to do so.

I had already bought 12 litres of Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 C3 in the meantime though so I flushed the engine again and shoved the Mobil 1 in my car instead (I'm a big Mobil 1 fan) and it sounds sweet again. The low SAPS C3 is based on A5 so is safe to use as it's an advancement on A5.

Going to see how the Mobil 1 holds up after 4,000 miles of mainly urban driving. Also pondering about trying out Fram oil filters.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nels likes this.
  7. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    In addition you can try something different ... Early in november diesel fuel changes from
    "summer diesel fuel" to "winter diesel fuel". In contrast to summer diesel, winter diesel fuel
    has better cold flowability, but often a reduced cetane number. This leads to a increased
    combustion noise. You can compensate / improve the bad cetane number by adding a
    "Cetane Booster" (e.g. Wynns / Amsoil / ERC .. etc.)

Wynn's Additives : Wynn's Supremium Diesel 250ml

Last edited: Monday 10th Nov, 2014
    Cloughy likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Slightly off topic, but are these additives ok for regular use in engines? Never really been a fan of additives but I know times have moved on a bit.

9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Yes, both additives are designed for regular use. I myself use e.g. ERC Diesel plus 1:1000 among other things
    since a few years every time the tank is filled - it´s really excellent :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  11. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    I find the engine generally to be rather rough and a little noisy on startup and in slow traffic. And mine has a full Honda history so has had the correct fluids used. I've read somewhere it's a characteristic of the injection system in the I DTEC. It's definitely better than some diesels but if you are used to BMW or maybe some others, it will feel a little rough. However on the move it's very smooth and should not feel at all coarse.

Also ready that the facelift sorted out the nose levels a bit, by having better sound deadening.

It's just one of those things I put up with and in my opinion it's worth it :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Antsah Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine 2.2i-dtec is now 172.000km. Honda dealer use here Finland only Mobil ESP 5w-30. Actually Mobil didn't sell here 0w-30 ESP, don't know why.. I decide to put in now Castrol Edge 0w-30 Titanium ACEA C3, waiting to see how it works. DPF is removed so C3 oil is not necessarily? A5/B5 0w-30 oil is also suitable like in I-CTDI without DPF?

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I believe the C3 spec will also help keep the EGR valve cleaner and as it's a bit of a pain to remove and clean on the 3rd Generation CR-V every little helps! Not sure about how difficult it is to remove on the 4th Generation though.

14. Antsah Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

EGR is also mapped out :Wink:

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sorry, what do you mean? There is no EGR valve in the 4th Generation?

16. Antsah Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I mean that my accord 2.2i-dtec EGR is remapped with DPF

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Ah I see. How does that effect your emissions with regard to MOT time?

I would probably still use C3 if you can source it at a reasonable price.

18. Antsah Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No effect at all. Here they only test smoke absorption. It stays the almost same DPF+erg on or off. Last time it was 0,6. Limit is 1,5.

19. Cloughy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alex Reading
    Must say wasn't aware of winter diesel! are additives safe to use with DPF?

20. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Yes, these additives even reduce the filter load (better combustion, less soot) :Smile:

Cloughy likes this.