General I-DTEC Engines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jaytip, Thursday 23rd May, 2013.

1. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Other than DPF issues, what if any are the issues with the I-DTEC engine. I ask because I'm starting to get a little paranoid about potential reliability issues with my car.
    The engine has been in production for 4 years or so now, so I'm guessing any issues should have come to light by now. I know about the DPF issues but ALL manufactures are having problems with them, what I'm after is any other known issues that have the petrol lovers on here bashing them ::Wink:

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There are none with the I-DTEC engine.

Stop worrying. The engine is utterly bombproof. Anyone who says otherwise hasnt a clue what they are talking about. I never had a SINGLE issue with my Accord and have every faith that my new I-DTEC CR-V will be better given that it is a new powerplant entirely.

jaytip likes this.
  3. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

good to know :Thumbup:

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I haven't heard or any other issues bar DPF.
    I am petrol lover but also loved my 7th Generation diesel Accord. Easily the quietest diesel engine I came across.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well, I thought the I-DTEC on the Accord was quiet, but the new CR-V is utterly silent.

Even my old man wondered whether it was petrol - he was astounded when I told him it was diesel. don't think you'll find a more proper efficient (not German figure fudging) diesel engine that is as robust as God could make it, with silence like the dead of night.

I stand by that assertion and challenge anyone to prove otherwise. I-DTEC engine - perfection.

6. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    I'd argue otherwise.I think its underpowered in 150 BHP guise,not that quiet,sounds harsh when revved (although it revs quite nicely) and you have to drive like a nun to get decent economy as the gearing and way the engine produce its power aren't well matched.
    I think the reason its so reliable is that it isn't that stressed and over engineered. and Honda have proper service intervals. For a 4 cylinder though its pretty good. It doesn't get near the 6 cylinder lumps but then you wouldn't expect it too.
    At the end of the day though it runs on the devils juice and will never be as nice as a petrol lump.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Funniest nonsense I have ever read! :Rolf: Each to their own though.

I don't think its underpowered at all. Found it to move my Accord effortlessly and without creating a din about it. And revving - seriously, what I-DTEC were you exposed to? Mine was never harsh sounding at all.

Service intervals aren't the be all and end all. The main factor is that the engine is as good as the petrol. The sad reality is that many petrol drivers of whatever car simply havent seen/heard/driven/owned an I-DTEC machine to validate that. As I said before and will say again, I never had so much as a chime out of place on my I-DTEC Accord - all I know is that the new owner, whoever that is, has a bloody cracking car in their possession right now.

8. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Its by no means a bad engine,I just think it struggles with the weight of the touring. Not being able to properly use 6th gear until 50mph is just silly IMO. And I'm sorry but there is no way in hell it sounds good. Yes its a better noise than others but its Stoll just a noise. Its better than the old pd vag engines by a mile though I'll give it that.
    Maybe on being a bit unfair as I've come from having a few 6 cylinder diesel engines that were a lot more powerful etc and delivered the same economy.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't understand how you say that it struggles - I have the same engine in my new CR-V which weighs a lot more than a Tourer and it shifts just fine.

As for the sound, well, we'll have to agree to disagree - I can't comment on your car as I havent heard it and vice versa - but I will say you are wrong. I guess your car had a harder life prior to you having it. And yes, it is light years better than ANY of the crap built in Deutschland.

And as for the 4 vs 6 cylinder thing - sorry, but thats just plain stupid - apples/oranges comparision spring to mind and is frankly irrelevant.

10. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    OK,4 cylinder v 4 cylinder I preferred the Nissan engine in my Laguna. More power more torque,less weight and better gearing made it nicer to drive.didn't make it a better car.it also rattled less than the Honda.
    As for German engines being crap that's utter tosh. The only reason you hear of more failures etc is that for every 1 Honda you see there are 1000 generic German barges on the roads. For what its worth I've probably owned over 20 German diesels.some with very low mileages,others with over 200k and never had any engine problems on any of them.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That was a blanket statement - I didnt say German engines were crap. I said crap from Germany. Big difference.

Just as there is a big difference in German car makers fiddling their fuel and efficiency claims...they are not the paragon of engine prowess that poverty-spec Beemer/Audi/VW/Audi ET al repmobile drivers make them out to be...anyone can fudge figures...but you can't fudge the fact that none of the German engines are ever going to displace Japanese engines at the top of ANY of the reliability charts. Ever.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The I-DTEC first came out in 2008 since then apart from a few dozen software updates the reliability has been good, even with Bosch parts.

Bosch have had some howlers with poor part quality but soon been addressed with no adverse impact ,its no where remotely closely to the poor track record on the I-CTDI and to the Honda marque. The accord I-DTEC is a noisy beast on cold and hard low acceleration CR-V engine is quite heavily revised , the accord has given the feedback to Honda to make improvements.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest, I didnt find the Accord I-DTEC engine to be noisy at all on start up. It just got quieter as it approached ambient operating temperature. On my new CR-V - it is even more quieter - both on starting and running.

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    That was a blanket statement - I didnt say German engines were crap. I said crap from Germany. Big difference.

Just as there is a big difference in German car makers fiddling their fuel and efficiency claims...they are not the paragon of engine prowess that poverty-spec Beemer/Audi/VW/Audi ET al repmobile drivers make them out to be...anyone can fudge figures...but you can't fudge the fact that none of the German engines are ever going to displace Japanese engines at the top of ANY of the reliability charts. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Having owned from new several Audi and VWs diesel I can say from experience and not just mine that their cars (diesel) are crap as is their customer service from both VAG UK and their dealers. True there is a lot of rubbish automobiles coming from Germany but bit rich when even senior franchise / network or whatever they are calling themselves today, managers agree their product stinks. I know several and they don't own VWs but yeah ok they drive company dubs their own bought and paid for cars are not vag group trash.
    True to say though were all different and I am grateful for that fact. If we all owned and drove the same thing it would be a very gray dull little world.

The only thing my last Audi diesel was better at than my considerably older Accord is economy it drank less. And that's it. my accord is the unreliable noisy early diesel which never misses a beat is still on original clutch injectors turbo fuel pump electrics and could go on but i won't bother
    oh true it has had the manifold replaced by Honda at their expense as cracked. try taking a car old or new back to VWs for a warranty claim. VW policy argue argue and argue until customer pees off...

Last edited: Thursday 23rd May, 2013
    FirstHonda likes this.
  15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    To come back to the TO question: NO, nothing's wrong with the I-DTEC engine, apart from DPF problems that are usually caused by lack/wrong maintenance or people buying a diesel while a petrol would be spot on for their driving patern.

Concerning the 2.2 I-DTEC:
    Last 2 months I drove Accord 2010 I-DTEC 4D, Civic 2012 2.2 I-DTEC, Civic 1.6 I-DTEC and a brand new Mini Countryman 1.6d.
    I prefer my Accord 2.0 i-VTEC petrol, but that is a personal thing.
    But.... I was positively surprised by the 1.6 I-DTEC in the Civic. What a nice diesel engine! I prefer it to the 2.2 I-DTEC in the Civic. Very strange, I know. But it has more a petrol character, likes to rev a bit (for a diesel) and you can go low in revs without the engine starting to vibrate.

16. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    an intersting argument being put across here. its all a bit trivial the noise thing, hondas ICTDI and I-DTEC are both very much quieter than many other manufacturers I've compared them to. not worth arguing over realy. regarding the original post title there is very little to go wrong on the I-DTEC. there has been an issue with the EGR cooler pipe leaking but vast majority have been replaced by now. no engine comes without its niggles honda or not, but in answer to the burning question, the I-DTEC is a damb reliable motor.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be fair, the DPF isnt even a part of the engine - it is a separate device altogether. The engine is, in my view on par with the Honda petrol engines for robustness and reliability.

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo!

Just as I stated :Wink:

18. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I don't have one. If i could afford it i would no question. Think its a cracking engine. But for now i want a 7 petrol. Just until Helen scooby is paid up then its my turn :Grin:

Last edited: Thursday 23rd May, 2013
  19. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Never driven the I-DTEC, but some of my friends who have are full of praise for the engine. I stick to the petrol.

My opinion is that the heart of a Honda (if not all Japanese cars) is the magnificent and bombproof petrol. The diesel is just a forced solution.

With the introduction of direct injection and cylinder deactivation in the new Earth Dreams i-VTEC engine in the US (hoping to see them in Europe soon), Honda has (to a significant degree) removed the torque and mileage advantage of the diesel over petrol.

Thus, for me, the petrol will keep rocking for years and years to come.

20. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I don't see where you are coming from regarding power. I tow a fairly heavy caravan (1485kg) and you wouldn't know it was on the back towing it with my 4th Generation I-DTEC CR-V. I had it out recently and the CR-V took it up inclines in 6th gear without a murmur.