In-Depth i-DTEC owners Heater & Air Conditioning System your findings

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Friday 20th Dec, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is for all I-DTEC owners, I had a rather long and and interesting argument with colleague at work.He love all things VW and his dad bought a I-DTEC Accord which refused to heat up the heater from a cold engine quickly.

He said his over hyped VW heated the heater faster than the Honda, well he know I am a Honda fan and I know he is VW fan ,it like getting a vegetarian eat meat and stick to it .

I told him the VW engine are not as efficient as the I-DTEC or I-CTDI engine they take a long time to heat up as they are very efficient they don't not waste any of the energy turning fuel into heat . Its a known fact older VW do burn fuel to warm up faster. So this guys dad waged war with Honda UK saying it a faulty car it got him no where as it is NOT a fault..

My explanation to him was At idle, it can take a long time for the engine coolant to warm up. The engine will get warmer quicker when driving when the engine is under load.

The best method to warm up a Honda (proper car) is to set it at ‘AUTO’ function, and set the climate control temperature at 21 degrees which is room temperature.

Why room temperature you ask?

This will optimise settings to provide the quickest warm-up, it is as simple as that There is no need to change the temperature to ‘HI’. This will just prevent idle stop and blow a higher volume of colder air, initially making you colder rather than warmer!!!

He just won't buy it he is brain washed in over-hyped German cars. Can all I-DTEC owners try this I can vouch your heating time will halved.

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't have a I-DTEC I have a 1993 Prelude and if I start and drive with high heating setting it takes for ever to heat but if I set heat to low it heats to high in less than 2 miles drive which does me fine my accord is the same :Happy::Happy:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Seat warmers are the best for a toasty derrière,a cold engine always warms up faster on load , but parking heater do heat the engine coolant which minimise cold start wear which is scientifically proven to be accurate.

TBH modern cars last 300k miles so what is the benefit? My view an exercise to get more dosh for stuff you don't need.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Don't forget the I-DTEC has an inverted airco-system that uses the evaporator in the cab to heat the cab.
    BUT: this only works when outside temp is 5°C or lower AND you do NOT use window defogging.
    When window defogging is activated, the airco will work normal and dry the air so you get clean windows (safety related).
    I drove/drive only Honda petrols and all of them (Civic/Accord) only start blowing warm air the moment the engine coolant reached exactly 50°C when set in AUTO. This is overwritten if you go to manual air vent settings or if you use window defogging.
    In my Accord I get warm air (50°C) after less (!) than 1 mile with ouside temp approx 2 to 8°C. And with my electric DEFA heater activated it's no longer than 500 meters before having warm air.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

All my previous petrol Accords would blow warm air on even the coldest of days within about half a mile from home. My I-DTEC seems to take forever to warm up - well at least a good 2.5-3 miles anyway. We've also not had as cold temperatures (yet) as we did when my last petrol Accord would be warm in half a mile.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just to add that I've been using the "set to 21 degrees" method for the past couple of weeks having read this thread and it DOES WORK. The heater starts blowing warm air within 1-2 miles, whereas setting it to "HI" it definitely takes longer, I'd say (unscientifically) about twice as far.

Ichiban likes this.