Bulletins & Advisories i-DTEC Type-S whirring noise from transmission area.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 18th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is only applicable to the 2009 180PS TypeS I-DTEC 8th Generation Accord. The chassis code CU3 & CW3

The Symptoms
    A whirring or rotational noise is heard when the clutch pedal is depressed slightly. The pitch of the noise changes depending on the input of the clutch pedal. When the clutch pedal is fully depressed the noise disappears.

The Cause
    The vibration of the clutch/transmission in operation is transmitted into the cabin via the clutch hydraulic pipes.

The Fix
    A vibration damper has been added to the clutch hydraulic line to prevent the noise entering the cabin.

Please consult your dealer regarding this issue as this can be misread as a faulty clutch release bearing.

The replacement part number is 46985-TL0-E01

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have all 2009 Type-S owners seen this thread?

3. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi this is exactly the noise i have had on my 58 ex gt, I know the noise is not the release bearing but after the visit in stoke Honda been advised this is normal for all of them? I might investigate more after this post as for now all I could do was getting used to the noise, Anyone knows if this might apply to ex gt?

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have an EX GT I-DTEC and have no whirring noise so it is not normal at all. The only noise I can hear is the engine tick over.

I would look for another 2 idtecs of the same year and see if you can hear the whirring noise. If you can record the noise too that would help so at least you can compare them and play them back to the dealer.

5. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My car has no main dealer warranty left and I do all the work on it my self, what I will probably do is just get the damper fit it and try, the noise is not there when its idling or when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, its only there when in between and also driving off, sounds exactly like a release bearing noise but more deep metallic vibration, when on ramp thought you can still hear it inside the car but nothing from g/box / flywheel area i`ll record and put it here maybe someone with Type-S will be able to compare. recorded it but don't know how to put a mp3 or m4a here tried but no luck.

Last edited: Sunday 22nd Sep, 2013
  6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try uploading to YouTube or soundcloud and then post a link to it.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    get it shown to Holdcroft Honda you are not far off from Stoke, get a professional opinion to see if this is the issue you have first.

8. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi IchibanAccord that was the first thing that I have done after buying the car in April went to Holdcroft had all softwares updated and showed the noise to their technician and was advised that yes they all make the same noise nothing to worry about, I have done 11k miles since I had the car in April the noise has not progressed in a slightest, I might try that modified pipe for Type-S, all vw group cars have got a damper on clutch pipe which is a plastic snail shaped damper with a spring and a membrane inside of it, I just need to find out if it will fit my EXGT but can't see that there will be a different design of clutch pipe on Type-S then mine

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi mate your car is not a TypeS i doubt the symptoms you are experiencing will be the same on your EX-GT, you could try your work-a-round fix and see if this goes.