Exhaust System i-DTEC

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by SayamaAccord, Sunday 9th Dec, 2012.

?

Apart from any DPF issues, have you had any problems with the i-DTEC engine?

Poll closed Sunday 16th Dec, 2012.
  1. Yes

11.1%
  2. No

88.9%
  1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Apart from the DPF, has anyone had any trouble with the I-DTEC engine?

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You should add a third option stating no troubles WHATSOEVER.

:Smile:

I swear by the I-DTEC engine. Granted, it needs more care/attention than the VTEC powerplants, but in the grand scheme of things, both engines are bombproof.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    43000 miles from new, absolutely nothing gone wrong with the engine. Seems to even get better, i.e. smoother and quieter with age...

Ichiban likes this.
  4. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i sell a lot of these and in my experience the only problems iv seen are DPF , EGR pipe , seized rear brakes and iv changed 3 suction valves on fuel pumps. the DPF issue over here in ireland is chronic iv sold maybe 30 I-DTEC Accords this year and iv had approx 20 back for either DPF replacement or regen. i think it has got worse since honda issued the recall because i don't think the car is allowed to regen as often because of fuel mixing with oil and a risk of engine overrun. we are talking to a guy here in ireland at the minute about a full DPF clean its not forced clean which doesnt work we have tried but hes has a bath with a solution he,s trying to patent and its kinda like ultrasonic cleansing / plating where the carbon come out of the DPF and sticks to the walls of the bath. what you guys think of that has anyone tried anything like it before.

Last edited: Wednesday 12th Dec, 2012
    Ichiban and SayamaAccord like this.
  5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    that sounds like an interesting way to clean the DPF. ide like to know a bit more about that. regards the re-gen/blockage issues, i don't think the DPF's themselves are flawed. however the people who drive them need to be more mindful of how to look after there DPF's. its a practice not many people are used to as of yet but now requiring an education before owning such a car.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Ultrasonic is nothing new I have cleaned my 1st Generation carb with great success. I would love to see this in action and could see a fortune for its inventor.

Like it or hate it DPF are here to say with Euro 6 emissions they will get more complex and petrols will never need a soot catching monkey in its tailpipe :Whistle:

7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That method has been used on Peugeots for some time and is documented on several forums. It's a caustic mix which eats the carbon deposits. It's then steam cleaned and left to dry before being refitted. I think industry also do it on a mass scale with exchange DPF's (bit might be wrong on that!)

8. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

iv been told from a man on the inside that its common knowledge that the accord DPF is flawed where as it is made in japan and the CR-V DPF is not giving anywhere as much trouble which is made in the uk/europe and is twice the price of the accord DPF and has the same I-DTEC engine what do you think of that.
    - - - Updated - - -
    this guy does not steam clean the DPF afterwards i think from what i gather it more like an electroplating system where as the carbon is softened and pulled from the DPF and sticks to the side of the bath that its immersed in.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

DPF construction's on the CR-V is different to the accord albeit with the same engine. It got nothing to do where its made.

10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Is it anything to do with poor quality diesel, causing DPFs to block more readily?

The average punter doesnt use Vpower diesel or BP Ulitmate, just the cheapest they can buy, or red diesel in some cases!

Also correct engine oil..

11. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

do you know who makes the CR-V DPF as far as i can see the accord DPF seems to be made inhouse no markings or brands. and with the price of yen it seems honda must be subsidsing the price of the accord DPF comparing it to the price of the CR-V DPF
    - - - Updated - - -
    yes poor quality diesel a big NO NO but its a handful of thing if not done right will give you the DPF problems. from what i can see in my experience use only good quality diesel and we put in an additive called dipetane , the correct 0w 30 c2 spec honda oil , and when its warm drive it like you stole it.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

While I can't disprove what you say, what I can disprove is that I have had no issues whatsoever with my Accord at all. Granted, much of my driving is motorway, but the days where I have been trundling along at speeds of 40mph or less and in near constant stop-start traffic, I have never had an issue.

For me, two things are vital for car - proper DPF compliant oil and high quality diesel. Not the crap sold by Asda or Morrisons. Or Tesco for that matter.

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Aha, I see we have a yes :Aghast:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To dispel this myth the I-DTEC DPF are all the same and manufactured in different place and no other I-DTEC engine has better setup over the Accord. This should set the record straight.
    I don't see DPF being a issue on the Accord. :Search:The issues lies with garage and owners using the wrong oil wrong fuel (bio-diesel),bad practices and ignorance about the DPF.

When the first I-DTEC engine was rolled out in the Accord the part number was 18190-RL0-G00 Accord MY* 2009 DPF Made in Japan

Height (mm) 260
    Net weight (kg) 7,750
    Width (mm) 323
    Length (mm) 600

The Current 18190-RL0-G10 Accord MY* 2013 DPF Made in Japan

Height (mm) 255
    Net weight (kg) 8,820
    Width (mm) 330
    Length (mm) 600

Note the minor changes.

The first I-DTEC was seen on the third gen CR-V facelift in 2010. Part number 18190-RFW-G00 DPF is Made in Japan

Height (mm) 297
    Net weight (kg) 7,475
    Width (mm) 277
    Length (mm) 600

The advantage is the CR-V has a longer filter! can't see that bring any advantage over the accord set its more to do with how the engine sits in the CR-V chassis and engine compartment space.

The current I-DTEC on the fourth gen CR-V part number 18190-R7C-G00 4th Generation MY* 2013 DPF Made in Japan

no data released yet on dimensions . I will update it as when published.

As in Mythbuster this myth is busted :Smile:

MY* Model Year.

15. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

em well what about the 9 accord dpfs iv sitting on my garage floor im not bashing the accord or honda or questioning your knowledge ichiban my missus last 3 cars have been Accords. the new one is arriving on sat a 2009 cobalt blue ex gt. i do love the brand and i rarely ever seen a post 07 I-CDTI back for warranty. we sell an average of 25 cars a month approx 5 of them hondas the rest been a mixture of other brands the only other DPF iv sitting with the Accords is a BMW 320d. i do know that the grade of fuel here in ireland varies a lot but i don't get any calls from any of my other customers complaining of this funny cloud light on the dash and no power even with the german or french crap so i have to stand by what i said along with my local honda dealer and state that the DPF is a problem.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just thought I'd add that I haven't had any DPF issues either, touch wood. By the looks of it I think its down to having the oil changed regularly. My daily journey is 10 mins of urban then 30 mins on B roads doing 45-55 mph. I just wish there was a light to tell you when the DPF is doing its regen just so you know its working.

17. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

good call regarding the light but i think car manufacturers are afraid to let the customer know what kind of technology is under the bonnet as in yes there is a soot trap

that can reach 600 degrees under your bonnet and it needs to inject diesel on the exhaust stroke to get it so hot and it can mix diesel with your oil so when it lights up keep driving. some of the problem could be the cars been stopped mid regen as people don't know whats happening so yes i think the light would be a great idea :GoodJob:

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jonny these 9 DPF filters you got sat on your garage floor have all these car has all the Honda ECU updates and product recalls applied to the cars. The I-DTEC since it launch has had over a dozen fixes applied.

Sorry for my ignorance if you are not a Honda dealership how can you check your customer cars have all the product updates applied and it meeting to supportable platform?.. its easy to blame the manufacturer but if these cars don't visit the dealers it will never be addressed.

Honda dealers record all DPF generation via HDS and is uploaded to Honda,if there is fault Honda change the filter even after the warranty has elapsed , it has happened to a few members on here, Honda honored them outside warranty as they had the history.

Do these nine cars have in-depth data capture to see what causing the issue? or are you equipped to make that distinction.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It does actually http://hondakarma.com/threads/50/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why does DPF Filter get clogged with Soot

Honda Customer Leaflet on Diesel Particulate Filters

That should clear the air print these out and hand them to your customers get them aware of it!

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 29th Mar, 2014