General I have a confession to make

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davemazo, Sunday 21st Apr, 2013.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

As per title, I have a confession to make and I`ll apologise now, especially to you CJ

I`ve gone and changed my car after months of looking. I had decided on a 2.4 petrol Accord tourer but could I find one.

So I started to broaden my horizons and one day I got a taxi to the pub, climbed into the back and thought this is nice. So I started to do some research and decided to look seriously and eventually found one that fitted the bill perfectly.

Anyway, enough of trying to dodge the issue, the car is a Skoda Superb estate or Combi as us Skoda owners call it. Yes, I know that under all that metal it is a Volkswagen but so far I`m loving it. It is very comfortable, fully loaded and a joy to drive. I know there are potential problems but what car doesn`t have problems but I just had to get it out of my system.

I`ve really enjoyed my Accord ownership and never had any problems at all and who knows I may well be back if you`ll have me and if I fancy another change and the right Tourer comes up.

I`d like to stay as a member and keep in touch and if anyone is interested share my thoughts, good or bad, about the Superb.

So if anybody wants, or knows someone wants a well maintained 2006 tourer with 58000 miles on the clock, 11 months tax and MOT, xcarlink, 4 winter wheels and tyres, etc, then let me know.

And once again, apologies
  2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't know what else to say!:Smile:

Oh yeah and you're most welcome to stay.
  3. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Skoda Superb=excellent car. Ran one as a taxi for nearly 2 years. Other than a DMF failure at 32k it didn't miss a beat and returned me 40mpg around town and 60mpg on a run.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sokda joke on you now dave , I have a superb ( joke ) advert from sniff petrol.. I may or may not share it as tensions are the moment are pretty fragile on the forum with members jumping the gun.

however back to your car I know you have been looking for a car for sometime and had no joy I have too not seen any second hand diesel which were good. If you had waited a little longer you could have picked up TDK 8th Generation saloon as he would have traded that in for his new CR-V. That car is sound as a pound and probably the best saloon diesel on the market.

Glad you bought a car which ticked the boxes for you .. And hope to see you back in a Honda is a few years and talking from experience a high percentage return to question their reasoning why did I ever leave.

stick around fella and don't be a stranger.
  5. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks CJ for being understanding, at least I think you were. No need to hold back though I`m very thick skinned and can take it.

I wouldn`t have gone for TDKs saloon, I was always looking for a tourer and besides I`d decided I wanted a petrol but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo. Having said that, one turned up at Aberdeen Honda just after I`d bought the Superb, never mind eh.

I might even turn up at Holdcroft if I can get out of something I have to do as long as I`m not given too hard a time. I promise to park it out of the way just in case it gets keyed accidentally :Wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks mate. Its comments like this that make me think I`ve made a good decision. A couple of taxi drivers around my neck of the woods have said the same thing. One driver having done over 200000 miles without any problems other than service items.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Come to the meet bud it will be fine I won't say anything. Shame you could not find a petrol 8th Generation but they are rare everyone loves diesel these days.

Here an octavia joke,

7. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats funny CJ. The bit about the satnav is almost right. I had trouble with that on the way home from Hull but I`m sure I can fix that with the latest update :Tongue:
    Ichiban likes this.
  8. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Did you try Lightcliffe Honda in Southport? Just down the road from you. I recently traded in my Accord Tourer EX ICTDI for a new CR-V. They seem to move a lot of cars so you may have got a Tourer in the spec that you want.
  9. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Congrats Dave
    I bet its massive inside and feels like a limo.
  10. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    got to be honest and say they are on my radar, particularly the 2.0t and 3.6 V6. I don't want to move from Honda but I need a massive boot for all my fishing tackle and as I can only just about get it all in now the 8th Generation Accord is going to be out of the question. Sadly the only cars that come close in size is the Superb, E-Class and Mondeo.
  11. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did Robbie but every time I call in they seem to be swamped with Civics and CR-Vs but no Accords.

You`re right Zoran it is very limousine like.

Stu, if you`re not far from Ormskirk you`re welcome to come and have a look and try it out for size.
  12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Ormskirk, I'm up the road in Chorley! I'll take you up on that offer at some point and take some measurements!

- - - Updated - - -

Which engine did you go for?
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    CJ, think you might have to ban Dave now - he's trying to convert our other members away from Honda :Wink:

On a more serious note, I actually have a bit of a soft-spot for Skoda. Despite the stereotypes, they're pretty reliable cars - even with the VAG connection. I learnt to drive in a Fabia, and even though it was a 1.2 it flew off the mark (and didn't leave any bits behind either). The one thing I dislike about Honda is the lack of large engines on their upper class vehicles (Accord, CR-V). If Honda did a 3L+ V6, it would attract a hell of a lot more enthusiasts, hell even a large diesel would do the job somewhat. Honda truly screwed the Accord's with a lack of advertisement, limited engine selection and scrapping the Type-R.
    Ichiban likes this.
  14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Superb is not a bad car well done bud Im pleased you got sorted. Despite the skoda your most welcome here :Smile:

Wild horses wouldn't drag me back to VW though but i do hope it proves to be a good car for you.. Well done :Smile:
  15. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went for the 2litre 170CR with DSG

- - - Updated - - -

Not yet mate I'm only a beginner and besides I woke up to a flat battery this morning, the gremlins have already started, my own fault though, been pressing too many buttons and playing. No giggling over there in Leeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers mate. You're all such a friendly (and forgiving) bunch
    Ichiban likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a dissapointing response from the AOC crew there I must say !!

Let me make ammends :-

1. How do you double the price of a skoda?
    Fill up the tank

2. Why do skodas have heated rear windscreens?
    To keep your hands warm while your pushing it.

3. Have you got a wing mirror for a skoda?
    Okay, seems like a fair swap

4. What do you call a skoda driver who say's he has a speeding ticket ?
    A Dreamer

5. How do you double the value of a skoda?
    Chuck a penny in it.

6. What do you call a Skoda with a sun roof ?
    A skip

7. I've just bought the new 16 valve Skoda ......4 in the engine, 12 in the radio! (If you understand this and your under 40 then you need to get out more)

8. What is the difference between being inside Katy Price's bra and being caught inside a Skoda? You feel a bigger tit in a Skoda !

9. What do you call a Skoda at the the top of a hill ?
    A miracle.

10. How do you overtake a Skoda ?

11. What is the difference between a school and a Skoda?
    Schools breaks up and a Skoda breaks down

12. Why is a skoda and a baby similar?
    They both never go anywhere without a rattle

13. Why did the skoda cross the road?
    It was supposed to be going along it but the steering failed

14. What do you call a Skoda with a really long radio aerial?
    A bumper car

15. What colour shall i get my skoda in?
    It doesn't matter, it'll go brown through rust after a week

16. How do you make a policeman laugh?
    Tell him your skoda just got nicked

17. I bought the top spec skoda, this one came with an engine.

18. Tom: 'I was gonna buy a passat but I bought a mondeo instead'
    Harry: 'I was gonna buy a skoda but i bought a bike instead'

19. How do you make a skoda more sporty?
    Wear adidas trainers while driving it.

20. Whats the difference between stress and a skoda?
    Stress makes you have a mental breakdown.

Courtesy of Skoda Jokes

Jokes aside (all 20 of them), Congrats and enjoy your new car Dave :Smile:
    Ichiban likes this.
  17. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

when i was looking for a new car, my choice was between the accord and the octavia VRS. In the end, went with the accord route obviously. But, i tell you what, that VRS was no joke, in fact it would have left my accord standing in terms of performance. But from a quality perspective, then theres no match :Happy:
  18. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I like the Octavia VRs and the estate boot is not much smaller than the Accord. The VW engineering is the biggest worry for me. Last night I scanned the Audi forums looking for info on the A6 (I doubt I could actually force myself in an Audi) and the problems they have is incredible, even the site mods are quite negative. It wasn't just diesels, although they have loads of issues, the petrols seem to be little better with the V6's throwing their chains and tensioners with alarming regularity, now Audi recommend you get the chain and the gubbins that goes with it done at 60K - yes that's right, change the timing chain at 60k, someone would be shot at Honda for that kind of problem. I do follow Briskoda forum and tbf on the whole they seem more solid than their VW/Audi brothers.

I'm actually going to start a new thread on the general discussion bit...
  19. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I was tempted by the Octavia VRs, probably the petrol with DSG. Trouble is the DSG seems quite unreliable, so I would have had to get a car under warranty or pay for a warranty, also cambelts to change, and coil packs also, hence I chose the Accord.

Also they have been selling them new with 20% off for ages now, so the residuals are shot to pieces.

Hope Dave has a warranty for his DSG. Also remember to get the fluid changed at the recommended intervals.
  20. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I`m aware that some people have problems with DSG boxes but I also know of people who have no problems whatsoever. If I can get an extended warranty I will.

I wanted the auto because my other half has problems using a manual these days, bad back and hips etc.

oils and fluids will be changed probably every 6000 miles, same as my Accord. The service interval for the Superb is set at 18000 miles which in my opinion is ridiculous. Its going for its major service this week I`m going to get that altered to something more realistic.