General I Just Lost My Second Wiper Blade to the Motorway Gods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeviateDefiant, Saturday 30th Aug, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You'll have to tell me if this is just me, because I haven't heard of anyone else ever having the issue.

Sometime last year I was in the '03 driving west on the A14 in heavy rain and wind, and my drivers side wiper blade few off the arm into the night. I hadn't at this point actually touched the wiper blades at all, they were as I'd brought the car, that prompted me to upgrade them to Facelift.

Tonight the same thing on my '07, I was driving down the M6 about 10 miles from home in severe rain, wipers on max and still not having great visibility - just as the rain started to die down I turned the wipers off. A few minutes later the rain started up again lightly, so I turned the wipers on and noticed my side of the screen wasn't clearing. I turned the radio down and heard the faint squealing off the arm dragging across the windscreen. Then it clicked that I'd lost the blade.

Lucky for me I only had a few light showers over the next 150 miles, I could see some faint marks on the windscreen whenever another cars headlights caught it - hopefully it's not scratched up.

Anyone else had this happen to them? One pair was PFL OEM, and these where the FL Aero OEM that I'd originally brought for the '03. I'm chalking this down to sheer coincidence at the moment.

I best get some new blades ordered, shame it's the weekend.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Across 2 PFL Accords, combined mileage travelled approximately 120,000 miles, over 7 years and the majority of driving being motorway driving, never once have I lost a wiper. I always use OEM wipers, always preferring to go for the FL Aeros. During the rainy season/winter season I usually apply RainX, to assist quicker removal of rain.

No idea why this happened twice to you. When you wash the car, do you clean the wiper blade (the rubber part that actually does the wiping) ? Maybe this is becoming contaminated and causing extra friction.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I'm a big fan of the FL Aeros too, I'll be replacing the missing blade (less than a tenner) with another, maybe both dependent on then remaining one's condition.

I haven't tried RainX before, though I know my windscreen has previous been sealed from the amount of beading it has (could also be related to how many bottles of AG Fast Glass I go through).

I do normally clean the blades off, but typically only on my bigger washes. Either way, don't think that's the issue.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The only downside to RainX is that you can get an initial smear which can put people off, though it doesn't bother me.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I get the same after Fast Glass anyway so no differences to me :Smile:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Can you post a picture of your missing wiper ?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Don't they do the same thing (RainX and AG Fast Glass) ?

Never used AG Fast Glass myself.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Not unless I go hunting up the M6 for it :Laughing: I take it you mean the arm right?

They have some similar properties but Fast Glass is a cleaner, RainX is a glass treatment.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LOL ... yes

BTW Just used the new select and reply feature .. works a treat ! :Grin:

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Ignore the white bits of polish everywhere, that was my last rushed detailing session before the rain hit :Whistle:

2014-08-30 08.40.04. 2014-08-30 08.40.17. 2014-08-30 08.40.58.

Looks like the glass is very slightly scratched in an arc following the arm's hook, very hard to see on the photos - I'll see how bad it is next time I'm driving in a unlit area at night.

Good to hear, it's a far better solution than having to quote the whole post and manually delete the bits you don't want.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

So were these wipers already installed or did you install them ?

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Installed them, those were/are the Facelift wipers which I brought for my '03, the ones that on the '07 when I brought her were cheap and crap.

Reason I mentioned in the OP about having not touched the '03s wipers when one went flying was to try and say "I didn't screw it" :Laughing:

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Try this, a similar setup worked for me. Took about fifteen minutes before seeing any kind of results but it is glass after all!

Won't copy properly from Android

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thanks @ArcticFire, I'll give that a look.

Think it got caught up in the updates I was making to the site but it displays fine now :Smile:

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Never had that problem with any car, yet alone the Accords. If the blade section is correctly clicked in, all the forces are pushing it up, into the curved end of the arm.
    Something would need to break for the blade section to come out.

As for the rubber part, I clean them at every wash, between washes AND during dry spells too. It's amazing how much grit settles on them, to scratch the screen and or damage the rubber leading edge.

16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How fast were you going?

My old wipers tended to lift off the windscreen at around 90 (never came off though - just made it harder to see) whilst the newer Bosch aeros were perfectly fine.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Macro have an excellent price for good year flat ones which i found to be excellent!

Last edited: Saturday 30th Aug, 2014
  18. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    What kind of blade is that?

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Flat type blade