General I need new tyres...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zebster, Sunday 19th Jul, 2015.

1. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Anyone bought any new tyres recently?

I'm looking for recommendations of cheap tyre suppliers - whether fitters or suppliers.
    Ideally I'm looking to buy Toyo Proxes T1R 225/45ZR16 (for a Toyota MR2), but happy to consider recommended alternatives.

Ta

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Zebster and foxleys like this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Seb, those tyres havent got particularly good reviews, I've heard of Toyo's before, but never good things about them. For the price, personally, I would pay 5-10 quid more per tyre and get some Dunlop blueresponse or Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres.

Last edited: Sunday 19th Jul, 2015
    Zebster likes this.
  4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got new tyres on Friday. Went back to my old favourites Yokohama Decibel E70D instead of replacing the Bridgestone Turanza OEM facelift Accord tyres like for like

Turanzas had 4-5mm left after nearly 20,000 miles but were cracking at the tread beds on the shoulder of the tyre.

Cost £135 each at Honda dealer but also got full wash and vacuum (car was a bit minging and it also looks as if they've detailed the wheels they are shinier than for just having been washed) and health check video plus they topped up my brake fluid (which was down from max but not unacceptably low free of charge - saves buying brake fluid to use a drop and have the rest sitting there to go off in my garage). Can't see Kwik Fit ever doing all of that.

Zebster and Nighthawk like this.
  5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The sidewalls are a little soft and the wet performance is below average, but for fast road use they are superb (with +5PSI in them to compensate!). We got the MR2 brand new in 2003 and fitted the stock Yokohama A043 for around 10 years, but they wear quickly and are expensive... the Toyos became the MR2 Roadster Owners Club recommended aftermarket substitute, which is why I eventually switched to them a few years ago. They do suit the MR2 very well.

Unlike my Accord, the MR2 is fantastically (horribly?) sensitive to which tyres are fitted. It would take a lot to make me switch again!

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sounds like you are happy with the Toyo tyres mate :Thumbup:

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Indeed.

But it's where I might buy them from that I'm really looking for suggestions on. At the moment, Black Circles (who I've previously bought from several times) is looking cheapest.

8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Getting back to the ordinal question, it's worth trying all the usual on-line suppliers, e.g. Oponeo, Mytyres and Tyre Leader. I checked all the prices when I was after some winter tyres and wheels for my CR-V and Tyre Leader were the cheapest for what I wanted. Tyres and wheels delivered to a local dealer within 3 days, from Germany, who fitted them for £10 each. Wheels even came with their own new chrome nuts and spigot rings (I wish I'd known they were coming with the spigot rings as I'd already sourced some - still don't know how they knew spigot rings were required as I never mentioned the vehicle I was buying them for).

It's worth remembering that just because a supplier is cheapest for one make/size, they may not be for another.

Keith

Zebster likes this.
  9. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I use Event Tyres, they usually offer the best online price and will fit your tyres at your home or place of work. Very convenient and the guy that covers my area (Lindsey I think is his name) is a friendly chap.

Zebster likes this.
  10. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    It's too far for you Seb but Chris Mullin in Gloucester beat Black Circles on price for four Goodyear Efficient Grip tyres.

Zebster likes this.