Off-Topic I-Phone 3GS problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Beefy, Wednesday 11th Jan, 2012.

1. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    who else on here has a 3gs? i decided to drop my old one in a pint of beer. (don't ask how!) I've bought a new one off ebay from a phone shop in the reagion of £200 which in there scale is an "A/B grade" used phone. only had it yesterday and i have found it has a small crack in the casing and the WIFI is absolute poo to say the leist. a million times worst than my last! won't connect to anything unless i am 5 foot away fro the router. according to the listing i have 3 months warranty from the date of purchase. man ime peeed off!!!!!!!!!!!

has anyone else had problems with there wifi? seems a common problem over the internet and is put down to a faulty antenai apparently?

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think you might only have a week or so for internet returns...no point messing about for that sort of money, if it doesn't work back it goes for a refund IMO.

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    my thoughts exactly. well i will hopefully get an email back tomorow and see where i go from there. if they mess me about ime going to demand a re-fund/get ebay involved. its annoying being without a phone again but i aint being ripped off either!

4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm running the 3GS I get no problems at all with the wifi infect it's pretty good.
    What you have to watch out for are imports. My daughter got hers through a mobile company(no names) they offered her the phone which was duly despatched from a 3rd party company. After about 2 months she contacted the apple store about losing all her photographs and when she gave them the serial number or whatever it is they said that is an import from Thailand.
    She kicked up a stink at both companies as apple said she would have trouble getting it repaired under warranty. She still has it as none of the companies would take responsibility for a replacement.
    The only problem I get with mine is that I keep getting a message about something connected not being accessible when there's nothing plugged in. It's going to the apple store on Saturday for an engineers report and the shop where I got it are then footing the bill for the repair. Luckily I got 12 months warranty when I bought it.
    Check the sellers policy on returns and get it sent back to them e bay are pretty good at protecting both buyers and sellers.
    Good luck

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fingers crossed you get it fixed dude, these phones are expensive to repair.. I just got my iPhone 4s today ....can't get my hand off it love.

just had a challenge when I got phone I didn't realise this phone had a micro sim card, i just cut up the existing card into a micro shape and i was in business.

I have ordered a replacement micro card just in case this one throws a few curve balls.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Any news on swaps or refunds?

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've had no email back as yet, which is very annoying. i will give them untill tomorrow and then consider notifying ebay. hopefully there so called 3 month warranty will hold some sort of weight behind it or trading standards may get involved.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've had an email. looks like i will be getting a full re-fund. they will be getting bad feedback for there troubles and looks like i now have to source annother phone. what a pain in the back side!!!!!!!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well good news Beefy atleast you got your money back , there are thousand of phones out there with your name on it.

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    well i havnt got it back yet! got to post it off, then that is annother thing to try get money back on (postage) and the small matter of waiting for payment to be recieved, finding a new phone, waiting for that to arrive, find out if that is allso a duffer?, ohh yeh and that means i have no phone for well over a week........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    you can have my android off me for free I will get it across to you tomorrow that will keep you going

There is nothing wrong with BTW.:Wink:

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Beefy did you pay by paypal ? As they give you a good service along with eBay they have a good resolve system.
    Secondly where snouts are you as I bought mine from a shop in Barnsley called cex there's also one in Wakefield and one in Dewsbury they also have a website just google cex they have some good phones and they are reasonably priced and you get a 12 month warranty with them.

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    there is a cex shop in hanley, 5 mins away from me actualy. might nip in before i take annother pot luck guess over ebay. cheers for the offer CJ and i very much appreciate it but Aidrian at work has borrowed me his old I-phone 3G until i get hold of annother. i just hope they don't drag there feet over sending the money back over paypal.

14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good luck. And definitely try cex.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries beefy you have have a standby phone from adi

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well looks like I'll be getting a new one now.?
    Let's see exactly how good Cex are.
    Mine went into the apple store today it has a major hardware fault and there's corrosion???? Yes corrosion inside. So I can buy a replacement from apple £120 brand new phone to replace mine. Or take it back to Cex and see what they are willing to do about it. I feel they have a number of options.
    1. Replace it with one of similar value and state. It's almost brand new.
    2.refund of the full cost. Then I have to look for another.
    3. Refund me the cost of getting a replacement from the apple store(I would have to keep this phone to part ex) so somehow don't think they'll accept that.

What do you guys think??

17. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    they will no doubt either offer to swap for somthing of same condition or full refund. its the annoying thing about second hand goods like this. i-phones are a complicated piece of kit and as with anything, people sell things for a reason! don't get me wrong, i love i-phones even though i allso enjoy giving them a pint of beer! but i shall be taking out full insurance when my contract re-new's through apple/o2. there so easy to break! for now though like yourself I've got to make do and find a phone that hopefully WORKS!!!!! till this time next year.

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well my advice DON'T TOUCH cex!!!
    A bunch of cowboys. I took my phone back yesterday with the apple report. Which stated a hardware issue which meant the phone needed replacing.
    Slight moisture but not causing the fault.
    Oh sorry but one of the indicators has turned pink we can't do anything with it sorry !!!!! F******* what I only had it 4 months when the fault first appeared and when I brought it to you then the indicators where fine so the apple techi was wrong then was he???
    Er yes probably??? How can a snotty nose kid working in a two bit shop actually say that je is more qualified than an apple technician???
    They were absolutely crap. Couldn't supply me with the head office phone number or address but here's their e mail. !!!! Shot mare what good is that I can't send them one from here my f*****++ phone ain't working. You ring them oh we are not allowed to do that. ?? Who said??
    I've spoke to the apple shop guys and am waiting a reply from them regarding this indicator and relation to the fault.
    I've contacted Comsumer Direct who have me some really good advice and are well aware of the cex company!!!!!!
    I've written to cex customer services let's see what happens with the bloody thing now.
    My main argument is that when I took the phone in in September it was still under apple 12 month warranty(which I didn't know) but it had the beginnings of this hardware fault which could have been rectified but it did not have any moisture so how they can now say that this has caused the fault is beyond me.
    Advice stay away from cex I certainly won't be going back.
    I'll keep you updated on what goes on.

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Received an email this afternoon apologising for the problem and the inconvenience and the store would be more than happy to send my phone away for repair errrrr hello it's not repairable??? Anyway I replied asking if they could reimburse me the cost of the replacement at apple or replace with a suitable replacement from the store ( they only have an I phone 4 ) that is of similar spec. So I'm off to Barnsley in the morning firstly to put my daughters Megane on for wheel refurbishment and secondly to see if I'm getting a new phone ??? The saga continues tomorrow!!!!! Fingers crossed