ICE & HFT i-Pod connection & compatibility

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FirstHonda, Tuesday 22nd May, 2012.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

After some help & advice...

Feeling a bit old (!!), but have never owned an i-Pod, and am thinking of taking the plunge now that I have a car with an in-built connector.

Have looked at the i-Pod "Touch", but all the new ones on sale are 4th generation. My Accord is a new 2012 model, and the handbook specifically says that only the 1st and 2nd generation i-Pod Touch is compatible, but that may just be the speed of Apple updates and when the handbook was printed?

Does anybody have any experience of trying a 4th generation i-Pod Touch with the 8th generation car and does it work? At least there seem to be plenty of 2nd generation i-Pods available online, which may be a cheaper solution in any case!

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i-Pod connection & compatibility

I'll be amazed if the 4th Generation iPod didn't work with the system. CJ will be along and I'm sure he'll have a more definite answer for you.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I wouldn't waste any time or money on any junk from Apple. Just whack your music onto a USB stick, plug it in, job done.

I have a 128GB USB stick connected, never need to use CDs/silly Apple toys etc ever again. :Rolf:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As far I have seen a 3GS 4 and 4s working fine on a 8th Generation , so a 4th Generation iPod touch will work no issues. Like Saj has said you can use a USB stick too . I planning to get a I touch for my Bose system so it frees up the phone .

5. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As a matter of interest, does the 8th Generation have an iPod dock adapter and do the steering wheel controls operate on it? Or is it just a connection from the iPod headphones socket?

If it's fully integrated it may be tempting to get an 8th Generation :Wink: lol

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It easy bud this picture should settle it , it the center arm rest which is cooled by aircon BTW.

Once it attached you can browse the contents via the sat nav , easy as that.

usbjack.

andycrowz likes this.
  7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: i-Pod connection & compatibility

Yes all fully integrated for USB/ipod use and you can scroll/view contents on the satnav display. And yep, steering controls work too.

8. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No satnav, no controls??

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Lol you sure your Luxury spec car is not poverty spec ..just kidding bud

Does your centre arm rest have the USB port ? If it ain't there then you know .

10. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haha! I specifically asked for the datsun 120Y special trim. He said i'll have to wait for the 8-track player to arrive...

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

And no, my babee doesn't have ADAS; only the luxury-satnav model. I really wanted those turning lights too. My old man had them 100 years ago on his citroen !

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

All,

Just to say many thanks for all of your help - it seems like a really helpful forum.

Car is fantastic - after nearly 1000 miles in a couple of weeks it feels like a great decision. The little details are just great, like the way the passenger mirror dips when you put it into reverse! I'm very much a Honda convert...and very glad that I cancelled that C-Class!

Ichiban likes this.
  13. tot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just stuck a Western Digital 320GB HDD into the USB (I think it has to be formatted to FAT32 first and I seem to remember having to do this but it was 18 mths ago) All my music is on there and I rarely use the CD player. The only disadvantage is that you have to scroll through a huge list of artists or albums (depending on how you choose to name each folder) as it only recognises folders or individual files. You can't sort by artist/album like you can with an Ipod or other dedicated device.
    Big on capacity but a pain to manage if you're not careful.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    320 GB is a lot of music , just copy them on separate 8 Gb sticks label them accordingly. keeps the list tiny :Thumbup:

15. tot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As long as you have a USB there are options. I just went out and bought a Western Digital 320GB HDD for about £35 and just stuck it straight into the USB. I remember having to format it first to FAT32 (I think). Once in, it works fine, operates from steering wheel controls/satnav display etc.

Only issue is that unlike an Ipod or similar, you cannot sort your music by song/album/artist etc as it is just a list of files and folders. You have to decide that for yourself when you load it up.

The result can be that you have a massive list of folders to scroll through and if you want a playlist you have to copy the files into a new folder that you create rather than it knowing where to look when it needs the file.This means having more than one copy of that file on the drive. Not really a problem with 320GB of space though. After a while you get used to scrolling down the list, say two thirds of the way, because the album you want is around there somewhere. Depends how much stuff you put on.

Its a sort of high capacity cheap fix but a bit of a pain to manage.

16. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 512gb USB disk but it says that USB not supported

Any help please ?/?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    512Gb USB hard drive ? I guess it could be a partitioning or formatting incompatabilty.

18. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

Thanks speedyGee for the reply

So how do I go about getting it working ?/?

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Mount it on a PC, assuming it's a Windows XP PC then goto Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management

Have a look at what partitions and file systems are on the USB drive, report back here :Smile:

20. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My 2nd generation ipod works fine through the USB port in the glovebox and I can scroll menus and contents and that sort of thing on the screen even though I don't have satnav.