Tyres & Wheels I should check my tyres more often!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Tim Martin, Thursday 6th Oct, 2016.

1. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Hertfordshire
    I am cross with my self for not checking my tyre pressures often enough..

I bought my car 8 months ago and admit to not checking my tyre pressure at all in that time. I bought the car with two new front tyres and then 6 months later replaced the two rear ones. Assumed that they would have been pumped up close to or exactly to recommended pressure when fitted at the dealership.

Checked them today and all four of them where oddly exactly the same but at at 1.7 bar - side of the door states 2.3 bar on 225/50/17 tyres on my accord. I know pressure is lost over time, But 9 psi lower than they should have been! and recently I've covered quite a few miles in under inflated tyres.

I'm sure most of you do in this forum but of you don't - Check your tyre pressures regularly ! Don't assume when you get new tyres fitted they are pumped up to the correct pressure before you drive away.

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I usually just "eye em up" .. ie judge by looking at them if they need air adding. Works for me.

MickyB and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Im the same as @SpeedyGee - eyeball it and see the amount of sidewall sag and the contact patch of the tread

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I on the other hand am very anal with tyre pressures I check them every Saturday morning when the car is bone cold with a calibrated snap on digital pressure gauge. I am always seeking the best handling performance from my car and it does my head in when I can sense it from the steering.

On motorcycle every time I ride them I check them as it very vital for a good handling bike,

SayamaAccord likes this.
  5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Eye balling works for me.
    I've found in the past some tyre places don't ask what pressures should be in your tyres and tend to go with a trend of around 30psi I always check after a visit.
    But the guy I'm using now if really good and always asks you what you want in them.

6. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    WOT, AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I mean WATER, OIL AND TYRES!! THEN YOU CAN GIVE IT THE OTHER. LOL

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    oil check very 6 fuel tanks for petrols, for diesel half a tank they are oil burners after all lol

9. Nighthawk Guest

Only time my Accord has ever burnt oil is when I put in Mobil 1. With Castrol it doesnt use a drop. In fact, the ep2 burns more oil than the Accord

10. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Your post's prove that you do at least check. Some folk do not know how to open the bonnet. LOL

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

My Accord gets pampered. She has been very reliable

12. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    I check the tyre pressure every time i fill up the tank at the Shell station, as i don't have the equipment to do it at home. Now is there the problem that the tyres are not cold then, although it's only a 7 minute drive. I have read that then the pressure is higher than with cold tyres. Can i assume this is right? Car says 2.2 bar front and 2.1 bar rear, but because the tyres are warm at the moment i check, i fill them to 2.3 bar front and 2.2 bar rear. Not sure if 0.1 bar extra is enough, though.

Oil i check every 2 months when swiffering the engine bay, haha.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not the dreaded tyre pressures again???:Smile:

Zebster likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Phew I was waiting for someone to pipe up, its like saying I take a dump every day ..or I take a shower in month and use deodorant for freshening up.

MickyB likes this.
  15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hooray... Tyre pressures!

How loaded should the car be when we check?
    Exactly what temperature do our tyres need to be for pressure checking?
    How often should our gauges be calibrated?
    Do all makes of tyres have the exact same pressure requirement? Even winter tyres?
    Should we inflate with nitrogen, argon or air?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Similarly, I'm also worried that we never reached full agreement on exactly how to accurately check our oil levels...

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simple answer is to check as often as you feel happy with. Check mine about once a month but I always check
    them before a long trip. Same with the oil and water. :Thumbup:

hondream likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Is it wrong that now I've got TPMS I rely on that to tell me if one of the tyre pressures has dropped? It is a very sensitive system after all...

:Fear:

18. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting that you mention that. I have just got back from holiday and yesterday the hire car had the tyre pressure light on when I first started it.
    Had a look at the tyres and they all looked ok so I ignored it. Five minutes of driving, the tyres had warmed up a bit and like magic the light went off. :Wink:

hondream likes this.
  19. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Hertfordshire
    Hmm, I don't think I have the TPMS system. I certainly haven't had any warning lights flick up on the dash.. Was that an optional extra , or just introduced on later models.. I have an 11 plate ex
    That would be useful!

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I think it came in from 2013/14 on Accord, and 2012 on CR-V.