Engine & Gearbox Idle Stop on the new CR-V

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Ichiban, Thursday 22nd Aug, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can one of the 4th Generation CR-V owners do a review on the idle stop technology from a users perspective.

All new Honda from now will have this as standard so let get learning about it more.:Thumbup:

2. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is a really good idea in principle. I had 2 Volvo V50 derivatives with this technology as company cars prior to retiring. However if there is any electrical current drain it doesn;t cut in. For example if you have it on but you also have the A/C running then the auto stop doesn't cut in. It does however 'train' the driver to be economic in my opinion for example if one 'learns' to read the road further ahead, reacting early to potential hazards, and then decelerate early rather than brake then the auxilliary battery charges and hence the stop start charges up and works effectively and well. I have now completed almost 3000 miles in my 4 th gen 2 ltr petrol CR-V and have averaged 39.8 MPG mainly on shortish rural motoring journeys in Scotland. I am keeping a log and my average daily journey is 29 miles. I think this is pretty impressive for a 2 ltr petrol and I am very pleased with the car.

Toggerefc and Ichiban like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for that BT I liked it everytime I drove a insight I liked the idle stop and it just starts up in a flash.I will try to get some more info on Idle stop for our wiki section.any more CR-V owners and your input?

4. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    I totally agree with Baggytrousers comments. The stop start system is very good. The only time I use the manual switch off button is if in a traffic que and the traffic is stop start every few seconds. The beauty of the on/ off system is that after you park up it automatically resets itself to on. Fantastic technology!

Toggerefc likes this.
  5. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    System works well. but does not operate with A/C on.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll do a full report later this weekend, but I am 99% sure that the Stop-Start feature on mine works when the AC is on or off or on Auto.

I don't mind the system per se, but I doubt it really saves a lot to be honest and thats why I disable it when I get in the car. As said, will do a better write up later.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Page 341 of the manual shows when the Auto Idle Stop doesn't activate, viz. The climate control system is in use and you set the driver side temperature to the lower or upper limit. There are a few other instances when using climate control.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I know 100% sure the on/off works on the Insight with airco on or off. It would surprise me if it would not work on the CR-V with airco on.
    Sure, it does not shut off the engine if the desired temperature is not yet reached within a certain margin. But same in wintertime. Engine will not shut off if the set cab temperature is not reached yet (in Insight). Maybe CR-V has an electric waterpump to heat the cab in winter when shutting down?
    Engine does not shut off nether if you have switched on defogging for front window.

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    " The climate control system is in use and you set the driver side temperature to the lower or upper limit."

This is the actual quote from the CR-V handbook which you can read on page 341. As I mentioned above there are more instances where the Idle Stop will not operate.

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to add to what Robbie said: the extract from p341:

My understanding from the extracts here is that with the AC on, but not "Lo" or "Hi", between -20C/40C and the fan speed not at max, then the auto-stop feature will work. I just been out with the AC on and indeed, the stop function works just fine.

Not sure whether this is because mine is a MY13 CR-V, but from my experience, the AC can be on or off and the auto-stop works just fine. :Thumbup:

i-DSI likes this.
  11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A bit late, but as promised.

As others have mentioned, the Stop-Start system on the 4th Generation CR-V is brilliant.

Given that most of my journeys are m-way, the system is a bit redundant for me so I disable it most of the time. But when its activated, once at traffic lights - I flick the gearstick into neutral and lift off the clutch and the engine "cuts out" as if it was switched off.

To restart, you do not need to push the "Start" button - simply depressing the clutch kicks the engine back into life in less than the blink of an eye and you're good to go.

I have however, discovered that the Stop-Start system can re-engage if you turn the steering wheel and if you're on a slight incline (sloped downwards) and you take the handbrake off and start to roll, the engine restarts. This is dangerous since there is no depression of the clutch, meaning extra load on the flywheel on start up, and am sure it can't help the starter motor either!

So be warned!

I've not seen or tried the Stop-Start system on any other Honda or other cars, so its all I know. But it is so good, its flawless. The first few times you get freaked out because you never anticipate the car switching itself off and you panic into thinking somethings gone wrong. But just as quickly, you get used to it doing that and you know when to depress the clutch and get it going again.

For me, the power is in its simplicity. Stop-Start systems can be notoriously complex - the system Honda has in placed is stupidly easy and thats why its so damned attractive too. On a personal level, I see more fuel saving using the "Econ" button than I do for the Stop-Start system - but everyone is unique, so driving styles will dictate the benefits of one feature over another.

Hope this helps. :Thumbup:

Toggerefc likes this.
  12. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I dislike the start/stop feature on the diesel. The reason being is that it is open to abuse of the engine and the turbocharger. I always idle the engine for a few seconds and up to a minute or so, depending on driving style, before shutting down. This system can shut the engine down immediately from relatively high revs and at high engine temperature, leading to increased heat stress on all top end components and possible damage to the turbo. I try and avoid this by not shifting into neutral for a minute in the relevant situation, or by deactivating the system by depressing the relevant button below the handbrake. Others are not so diligent. This is a general observation for all vehicles fitted with such systems. Saving a thimbleful of fuel a week will inevitably cost more in eventual repairs and the energy used to produce new replacement components. What is the price of a new starter for a Honda stop/start equipped diesel engine? What is the price of a new turbo for it?

Toggerefc likes this.
  13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think the Stop-Start system is fine - but most of my journeys are M-Way, so in a sense, its a bit redundant so I tend to disable it - even disable it on short journeys as well now. I doubt it conserves as much fuel as using the ECON button....

14. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have failed to be convinced that the ECON button does anything more than provide a green light show on the dash when fitted to the diesel with manual gearbox. It may well alter the clutching of the air-con compressor, but I have failed to demonstrate to myself any significant fuel saving, or indeed any that I can measure. I tend to leave it on, because there is no downside to doing so and very possibly a small gain.

So, what does the ECON system do precisely?

15. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Wife's 4th Generation 2.0 EXi went in for 2nd year service this week. I asked for Stop Start to be checked as from time to time it stopped working & I reactivated it by removing negative battery terminal for a few seconds. Should only have to do this after battery has been recharged.

Advised that under warranty the battery has been changed & software update installed, now Stop Start works brilliantly.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Good news and even better when it's under warranty. :Niceone:

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

18. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Stop start has again ceased to operate & now after the software update & new battery last October briefly removing the negative battery terminal does not fix the problem. Car booked in to have this problem investigated & will advise of outcome.

19. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    I don't have a manual CR-V but I guess that your CR-V needs a new Start Stop kit. At least I would ask for one if my car was within the guarantee/warranty period. Good luck.

20. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Dealer checked battery is Ok, alternator is charging Ok & also no current leakage. They charged battery up & now Stop Start working again.