Bulletins & Advisories Idle Stop Will Not Function CR-V Petrol Engine Only

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Service News, Monday 21st Jul, 2014.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda have issued the above TSB dated 21-07-14 for the CR-V RE5 for year models 13 &14. This also affects the Civic 9th Generation FK1, FK2 for year models 12, 13 & 14

The Symptoms

The Idle Stop function is not available and Idle Stop low battery charge symbol (White) is displayed on the i-MID.
    imid.
    The Cause
    A low state of battery charge may cause the Idle Stop System to cease function due to the vehicle charging system not being fully optimised for some owners driving cycles.

The Fix
    The idle stop system software has been improved.
    The Repair Method
    1) Confirm the claimed symptom, Idle stop does not operate when idle stop is attempted.
    • Idle stop warning appears on i-MID with battery symbol.
    2) Start up HDS and confirm HDS version 3.013.023 (May 2014) is installed on the PC.
    • If it is not installed, install it, then proceed to step 3.

• If it is installed, then proceed to step 3
    3) Close the HDS application.

4) Download the countermeasure patch file from the source location to the HDS. Please raise a Tess to technical support and the patch will be sent to you.
    • ECU _Update20140711
    5) Open the Zip folder and select the “Setup.exe”. file application.

6) The Install Shield Wizard screen will be displayed,
    • click on “Next”.
    7) Check the database date is correct, (07/11/2014).Note: Items other than database date do not have to be checked.
    • click on “Next”.
    8) The install will start automatically and the Install Status screen will be displayed.
    • Note: Do not press cancel at anytime.
    9). The Install Sheild Wizard Complete screen will be displayed.
    • click on the "Finish" button
    10) Start HDS Diagnostic System.

11) Click on the MVCI Icon and Program the MVCI.

Note: This may take up to 40 minutes to program.

The MVCI is now updated with the Idle Stop countermeasure Patch File.

If at any point you encounter difficulties with this process please call DTS on 01753 590520

12) Remove the original defective battery.

12) Fit a NEW battery.

13) Fully charge the NEW battery with Midtronics CX Pro 25.

14) Test the NEW battery after recharging with Midtronics EXP-1030 to verify it is fully charged.

15) Install the NEW fully charged battery to the vehicle.

16) Connect HDS to the vehicle and check the IDLE STOP INHIBIT (BATTERY DETERIORATION) in the DATA LIST.

• If Normal: Go to step 17.

• If INHIBITED: Perform 12 volt battery internal resistance reset procedure according to WSM then go to step 17
    17) Disconnect HDS and connect the MVCI to the vehicle only.

18) Connect Midtronics CX Pro 25 to the vehicle and switch it to the power supply mode.

19) Select the C/M Update mode on the MVCI and update the Engine ECM (PGM-FI).
    • FW.VER.3.01.40

• DATE: 11-JUL-2014

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Zoot does this apply to your CR-V?

3. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    No idle stop on my CR-V as it's an auto. Thanks for the warning.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP.
    Hope I didn't cause any upset.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This TSB is only for petrols chaps

6. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    No upset whatsoever.

7. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    I'm glad mine is auto , otherwise my car would have every problem on the book.

8. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What problems? I've not had a single issue in nearly 30,000 miles of driving a manual diesel. Well………………….apart from pedal rubbers wearing too quickly.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Concur with Quacker - CR-V has been impeccable thus far I'm pleased to say.

Nels likes this.
  10. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the basic model petrol auto. Very little gadgetry to go wrong. Just how i like it. A cracking motor. I sometimes think car manufacturers install all the whistles and bells just to "keep up with the Joneses". I used to own a VW Beetle 66 model. petrol gauge and speedo was all you got. O'h and a hand pumped screen washer. Best toy i have ever owned. I regret selling it now.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @tomwillie there is an update to this TSB I will post later on tonight.

12. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    @Ichiban what is update?
    What is actual TSB number re Stop Start?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  14. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks @Ichiban, dealer has agreed to carry out the later more thorough TSB next Monday/Tuesday even though Stop Start is working after just a reset when 3rd annual service at end October.

15. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Car into dealer Monday afternoon & they retained it until Wednesday morning, i.e. two nights & a day, to ensure Stop Start working correctly. Advised they had TSB SO-1--003-01 and car already had latest software. However, Pro-Forma Invoice States: Update ECU software, replaced battery (again), and synchronise charge condition with idle stop control target, test vehicle, idle stop working normally.

It does work in normal operating conditions but have yet to check with 1) AC on screen, as never seen symbol with idle stop crossed out + AC. 2) temp on max, as never seen symbol with idle stop crossed out & image of thermometer.

Also advised by email that provided car not jump started or a battery charger attached then synchronisation should be maintained. Question is what happens if you wish to leave a car with Stop Start for a month or so, it is traditionally good practice to attach a battery conditioner as @Ichiban advises in a post?

16. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Advised car had another new battery fitted & so far Stop Start is working. However, yet to see temp gauge symbol that in handbook advises driver that stop start not operative as engine coolant temp is too low.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A trickle charger will be the best option for you Tom with your frequency if use of the vehicle and short journeys. In fact trickle chargers will extend the life of the battery to 8-9 years if frequently used as it SOC is topped up always and the cells won't deteriorate faster and the add bonus is your will never encounter a non staring car with electrical gremlins.

18. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks @Ichiban but car is used with frequency that should keep Stop Start active. It stopped working again even after a 30 mile run in daylight but started again after negative terminal removed for a few seconds. I have contacted dealer & requested Honda technical get involved which they have promised to do next Monday when Honda are back at work.
    It seems that modul that monitors state of charge in battery needs replacing.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say get all this sorted before your warranty runs out as the charging system on the CR-V is obscenely expensive and will see a lot of CR-V to its death once it outside it warranty period.