General If not a Honda...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirstHonda, Friday 6th Nov, 2015.

?

If there was no Honda, I'd probably be driving a...

Poll closed Friday 27th Nov, 2015.
  1. Ford

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. Vauxhall

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Japanese - Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. Korean - Kia, Hyundai

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. German - BMW, Mercedes, VAG (including SEAT and Skoda)

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. French - Citroen, Peugeot, Renault

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Swedish - Volvo

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. Italian - Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari (!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. British - MINI, Morgan

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Other - please explain

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

From time to time, there are threads about car choices / other manufacturers. Lots of us on HondaKarma have a soft spot for another make as well as Honda, and have other makes of car either in our possession or in the family.

So, the question is - if there WAS no Honda, what would you choose and why?
    - - - Updated - - -
    For me it would have to be another MINI - or ideally a Morgan if they did the Plus4 automatic!

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I do like the look of the new Ford Focus................................I'll get my coat.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    As much as I hate them, I will probably buy a Toyota.. Avensis or Yaris unless I can afford a Lexus.
    for old school carburetted stuff, I want a Suzuki MighyBoy or SS80 - proper death traps these.. I wish I could import my SS80 Alto into UK :Frown:

4. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    I'd love a Subaru at some point, something understated like a legacy spec B or forester STI. I also have a soft spot for SAAB especially an older aero HOT model. Never had either mind, but one day hopefully.

5. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Would always look at what the land of the rising sun has to offer. Mazda is a potential change as they offer the 6 sportswagon and no accord for the long term from Honda

Ford have perked my interest for the 1st time ever with imminent release of the new Focus RS

Would also look at Volvo

John Dickson likes this.
  6. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    Dad is an Aussie so it would be either a Holden HSV or a Ford Falcon XR8.

Bike wise it would be a Buell....

7. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

T5, or V70, before Ford took ownership

8. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd have another mazda mx5 but it would have to be a weekend car. Not enough seats to be a daily when you've got grandkids. As a daily i'd probably go for a Rav 4 or some other Japanese suv

9. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    I'd happily have another Seat probably opt for the the Ibiza Bochenegra

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:Fear:

Is the voting anonymous

11. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    .. I would give up driving, cause I don´t want to spent the rest of my life in a car repair garage ... :Laughing:

Nels, Ichiban and John Dickson like this.
  12. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    You want to vote for a Citroen?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmm there's one vote for Ford ... ooohh let me guess ^^^^

:professor::telloff:

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I owned a 2003 3rd Generation Ford Mondeo Ghia X for a few years and it was comfy, had a few more toys than my 2005 Accord Tourer EX and got great mileage. I also owned a 91 Ford Sierra 1.8 GLX back in the 90's and I had that for 6yrs without anything serious going wrong with it... To this day it remains the newest car I've ever bought and the most expensive (when inflation is taken into account). That thing could eat up the miles and give me 39mpg on a motorway run... Some modern petrol cars struggle to give you that kind of mileage due to all the extra weight they carry now.

I've owned 3 Vauxhall cavaliers over the years, from a 1983 1.6L to a 1995 2L GLS and they were also pretty reliable and easy to maintain.

I've owned several Mazda MX6's and have a very soft spot for them still... if the cost of owning and maintaining a V6 coupe wasn't so prohibitive these days... I may still have had one for weekend fun.

I've owned a Renault 19 TDi which I bought for £350 and sold for £450... after I put leather interior in and a nice set of williams alloys... Upgrades didn't cost me much so I got my money back... But it wasn't a nice car to drive and I'd never own another Renault again.

I had a 1995 Rover 800 series fastback with the V6... lovely to drive, smooth autobox, luxurious and comfy... but I paid £500 for it, then another £500 to have it fixed up and 10 months later at the MOT it was going to cost me a grand in repairs... Punted back through the auctions, recovered £350 and lesson learned... NEVER BUY A ROVER (I was young and naive at the time).

1974 Mini Clubman estate.... that was one of the most fun cars I ever owned... sure it had no brakes... and I mean that litterally... struggled to get up hills with more than 2 people in it and had a habbit of damp getting into the electrics on wet days... to the point I wrapped a piece of cloth around the centre of the radiator to stop water getting to the HT leads (I was too cheap to buy the shield). But it's still one of the most fun cars I've ever owned and drove like it was on rails. If I could fit in one these days... I'd drop a 2lt VTEC in one for some fun.

It's hard to say for certain... I'd certainly give a Toyota Avensis estate a try... it was on my shortlist before I found the Accord... Another Mondeo wouldn't be dismissed either.

All I know for certain... whatever I bought would have to be a top of the range model with leather and all the toys... I've become far to accustomed to them.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I also really like the Alfa 159 tourer... never owned one though... I just really like the looks. Would have been a contender if not for the slightly cramped rear leg room and smallish boot.

15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not saying it's the impossible but it would take a great argument to get me away from Japanese cars.

The old maxim "If it aint Jap, then it's crap" has never failed me yet!

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm a Jap car fan so would drive something Jap, I have a soft spot for Subaru and I have soft sport for anything that is quirky and has its own character, so Subaru ticks all the boxes, so would probably be driving a Legacy or something, but I hate the thought of Honda not existing, I would honestly struggle to have any serious passion or loyalty to a brand, and none others do anything the same way or offer everything Honda does.

I'm also kind of grateful my old man bought a Honda and become a loyal fan, as who knows where I would of ended up, I used to like BMW's at one point when I was very young :Blushing:, but the lifelong exposure to Honda's made me see the light. :blush:

17. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lexus ls600
    Why ? Because I like my comfort , 4 wheel drive and reliability but the purchase cost is a bit steep for me

Old age requires comfort. :sherlock:

FirstHonda likes this.
  18. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    if I could I wouldn't mind another e30 BMW.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I can echo that sentiment!
    When I was driving Mazdas I had no connection with the cars at all. There was no passion or loyalty to them at all.

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I agree too. Other than my known enthusiasm for MINI, I'd never had another brand which I 'cared' about like I do with Honda. Not sure why, could be the drugs they put in the plastics to encourage repeat purchase I guess...:Laughing: