Electrical & Lights Ignition switch fault?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Simes, Thursday 10th Oct, 2013.

1. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Recently bought my 2001 2.0Ex Accord (loving it) and since I've had it I've noticed a quirk which hasn't caused me grief up to now, but don't want it to bite me in the butt later!

When I'm driving at night and park up, if I turn the engine off and take the key out before I turn the headlights off, the engine keeps running. If I turn the lights off the engine stops. Obv during the day this isn't an issue.

Thoughts anybody?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Perhaps it's just very clever and protecting your battery from going flat hehe!

On a serious note, my previous 6th Generation had to have the ignition replaced. The cut would cut out and when we told the garage they knew straight away the ignition had to be changed and was apparently quite common. Wasn't very expensive if I recall.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    There is a recognised (think there was a recall?) or maybe I should say a few reported issues with the ignition switch causing the car to cut out, which is a bit different to your symptoms however there maybe some investigation required there.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    There's a note of it here: Honda Accord 1998 - Car Review | Honest John but I can't find an official release. Plenty of chat about it online but as you say it may not be the same thing. Could a previous owner have had work done on the electrics and badly rewired?

5. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Possibly, there's a plethora of carphone, accessories and alarm type wires lurking about, but everything else appears to work ok.