Introductions I'm a migrant here (from another forum)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by jimjams, Monday 27th Jul, 2015.

1. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I own a Honda Accord and I have been a member on another forum for a while, but things there are starting to look bleak.
    As I have "lurked" on HK several times and also noticed references on the other forum to useful threads here, I have finally decided to "migrate".
    So here I am, hope I can add to what looks like a better organised and better run place :Smile:

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Welcome!

Maybe we need our own version of UKIP to repel these migrants coming over here seeking a better life?:Laughing:

Last edited: Monday 27th Jul, 2015
  3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Welcome to the forum :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome bud, add your car to the garage.:Hey:

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Hello and welcome to Honda Karma :welcome:

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

thanks for the welcomes, I'll have to take a picture of my car (CM2) and add it
    - - - Updated - - -
    hmmm, I notice that if I hover my mouse over the CM2, it says "Honda Accord Tourer 2003-2008 K20A/A6/Z2" but the engine in my CM2 is K24 :Aghast:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma @jimjams, good move on the migrations :Wink:

We'll get the hover over text sorted for you :Smile: .. @DeviateDefiant

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Hey Jim, welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words. We all try our best :Smile:

All fixed, surprised no-one had spotted that before :Laughing:

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Jim. :welcome:
    We're happy to grant you a Visa to come over here. :Hey:

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The journey to the promised land was smoother than I expected, I feared there might be watch towers preventing my escape but the guards and the entire community were asleep as usual :sleep:

Mind you, when necrosis is taking place in a community, the occurrence of sleeping guards is hardly surprising.
    Although I did not see anyone being banned, there seems to be a tedium that otherwise resembles most of the description in this link :Tumbleweed:

Furthermore, quite a few newbies with diesel problems were being answered by someone who wanted to sell them some kind of "off" feature, even though the newbies had locations that required at least one ferry to get to England. :shock:

Anyway, thanks for the permission to "land", all I need now is a room without a shared sink and window :Happy:

SpeedyGee and DeviateDefiant like this.
  11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome, how is Calais?

jimjams and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On my way through, I expected to see lots of people resembling my avatar and eating cheese, but the smoke from burning tyres obscured everything :Whistle:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I appreciate your poetic writing style there :Laughing:

Let's not forget the legality of such modifications, the good man in question walks a fine line by promoting it so bluntly on a public forum and really should know better.

14. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I totally agree. Furthermore, I always thought that car forums were for the sharing of knowledge, plus a bit of banter. There seems to be very little banter on the other place, the amount of knowledge-sharing has gone to nearly zero, and only two of the "staff" drive a Honda Accord. That on its own would be bad enough, but the whole ethos of the place feels like advertising in all ways possible, without any philanthropy. I doubt if newbies get much inspiration there.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's been in decline for a long time unfortunately from my standpoint, it's sad as it once was a great forum by all accounts - then business interests and all the rest got involved. I don't want to comment on it much further than that, but suffice to say we do all we can to make this place great - and work hard to resolve things that members consider to need improvement.

I help run a large aftermarket parts store catering mainly to Honda, I don't promote it on my own account here as I see that as unfair - the company has a separate trader account on the forum, promotions are kept tasteful with a set of rules governing them, and the company pays a fee to the club to help keep the lights on in return. Any other company can do the same long as they can abide by the same rules. That's, in my opinion, the only fair way to handle it.

We actually have a little rule here that all @Staff must own a Honda :Laughing:

GSD2013 and MickyB like this.
  16. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've seen at least one thread recently where the "history" was discussed very diplomatically. I think that my own impressions were already heading to the conclusion I have taken, the thread I mention only confirmed things.

I believe that the same is true on the other place, so it is odd that the "owner" flouts the rules. Indeed other people flouting the rule have been warned in the past by mods. Hmmmm

Anyway, I have some potential DIY stuff for 7th Generation Accords to write up. I also have a very interesting "procedure" involving some simple data collection from participants, to see if a bit of "science" is useful for anticipation of MPG

btw, is it me, or have other people noticed a big load on their PC when writing posts in here ?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What browser are you using Jim ? Is it FireFox ?

Have a look at this thread **oops wrong link** .. let me find the right one

18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ Google Chrome

Seems that I don't have permission to view that link (yet) , maybe it's due to a "number of posts" limit not reached ?

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Let me find a different thread Jim
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here you go .. mention your problem in this thread Feedback/Help - I'm Struggling!

Seems something is amiss somewhere but be haven't managed to nail down what it is yet.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That sounds unfair and a bit biased, but they'll do as they do and members will either tolerate it or leave I guess.

Look forward to having a read of that :Thumbup:

We're trying to figure the solution, once I can successfully replicate the issue here I should be able to work up a fix. Though if you check the linked thread it appears Zeb as nailed down the cause of it for him.