Aftermarket Kit I'm after a few bits and pieces...

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Jables667, Saturday 13th Feb, 2016.

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Would anyone here happen to know where I'd find aftermarket parts for my 6th Generation? It's a W reg (UK, year 2000) pre-facelift model. I've been scouring eBay and so far haven't found much. I've mainly found parts for the US version which I'm fairly certain won't fit the EU model.

At the moment, I'm after fairly inexpensive and minor modifications like headlights, induction kit and back box. Headlights are the priority at the moment since I've found induction kits with universal fitting kits (which eBay says will fit my car, but I'm rather cautious) and I've found a back box I like. A fitting kit for said back box would be helpful, though!

Many thanks in advance, guys. You have always been extremely helpful!

And for the sake of it, see my car below for reference.

media (1). media.

Harvey likes this.
  2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a nice example, in fact you already have the front splitter that most don't have.
    What kind of lights, just replacements?

Sportex do direct fit back boxes, but for what they cost you could get a full system. Longlife quoted me around £200 fitted for a bespoke stainless system.

A Prelude induction kit will fit with some minor mods.

3. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    The body kit and alloys were a big selling point for me. My previous Accord saloon was my first car, and at 20 years old I got a lot of old man car jokes from friends. I feel this one better suits my age xD

As far as headlights go, I'd be happy with OEM replacements. Projectors would be nice, but it doesn't matter too much. The factory originals look pretty neat when they're in good condition, I think.
    I've seen the Sportex parts on eBay, and you're not wrong. They were pretty pricey. There was one eBay shop that sells a back box I quite like, but the inlet has no flange or anything on it. Just a straight tube
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh, I feel I should clarify something. There was nothing wrong with my first Accord. Old man car or not, it was still the most luxurious, powerful and practical car out of all my friends'. While they were stuck in tiny 3-door hatches for which they paid around £1000 for (and one had his parents buy him a brand new Peugeot to the tune of £7000), I was perfectly happy with my 4-door saloon with tons of boot space that cost me £300. It served as the band vehicle for some time as well due to its size. We were easily able to fit my entire rig (two guitars, a sizeable amp, guitar stands and effects board) along with the bass rig (bass guitar, amp and pedals) and five people. So while it may well have been an old man's car, it out-performed everyone else's in every aspect at a fraction of the cost.

exec and Harvey like this.
  4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Meguirs do a kit for headlight restoration, I would look into one of those before splashing out on new headlights.

There is though a marked size difference between the earlier accord and this one, in that this gen of Accord is smaller, but even so it still has a big boot!

5. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    They did have a restoration as part of the remedial work for its MOT, but they're still not quite there. They're clear enough for MOT standards, though I've been advised to replace them before the next one. Thus far I've not been able to find new ones. Makes me sad.

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I guess there will be a motor factors or ebay, either way you want good quality units, not cheap Chinese rubbish. Or keep an eye out at scrap yards for a good used set.

7. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Aye, that's the plan. My last Accord had replacement headlights around 2011 or something? They must still be around. Gotta admit, I'm a little wary of the few aftermarket units I have seen. I'd rather OEM units that will definitely fit than imported third party units that may well be a crapshoot. It may not be the cheapest option, but maybe I could go through my local garage? The factory original headlights improved dramatically after I replaced the bulbs with those super bright halogens, which is all I really intend to do. Though this time I'm considering going for green tinted bulbs...

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Never seen green tinted bulbs, but I've been using osram night breakers. Though they don't seem to last long.

9. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Phillips make H7 bulbs with a decent range of coloured tints. They're around £25 a set on Amazon, I think? They claim to be brighter than standard halogen bulbs, but I couldn't comment until I've actually fitted and tested them. And for the sake of perfectionism I'd have to replace the sidelights and hi-beams with the same colour. After writing off my first Accord, my friend loaned me his MkIV Golf with one blue headlight and one yellow. Drove me insane. That and it was a Golf. Lowered. Ugh xD

Harvey likes this.
  10. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    I can tell you that the osram silver star are good not the best in the market, but if you won't some bulbs that are stronger, go further and don't die after 3 months this is it.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    If going induction I would recommend a full CAI system as an SRI will probably suffer from heat soak. Mine did in the 6th Generation, although it was a very cheap SRI. Was very loud and sounded very disproportionate to the actual speed of the car, especially when things heated up I actually lost power.

SRI are fine for turbo charged engines though because the speed of the air passing through eliminates any chance of heat soak.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    And the intercooler negates any heat in the air anyway.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Good call, forgot about the intercooler!

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    With the headlights you are better off restoring them, you can get them looking brand new with bit of elbow grease, otherwise there is no aftermarket options for the Euro Accord, there is for US models and they can be modded to fit but its a lot of work and not worth it. If you want to improve the looks you could hunt down some Accord Sport model headlamps which have black sporty borders.

With the bulbs I use Philips Xtreme bulbs, not the tinted ones though, just standard white bulb and its better than the rubbish standard h7 bulbs which barely light the road up!

With induction kit, there is one available for this Accord that has metal piping that fits, otherwise 4th Generation Prelude one fits too as Harvey mentioned, you'd be better off making your own with rubber piping or just drilling holes in the airbox.

I also get those grandad comments, bought mine at 21 and 5 years on I still get the old man jokes time to time :Foolish:

Harvey likes this.
  15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes I too get the grandad jokes as well, but do I care, not really.

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Usually said by people who value image over substance and are more worried about what others will see them as, like you I couldn't give a toss, don't live my life for others.

17. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I used to get the Taxi jokes aimed at my 6th Generation

Harvey likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I think 10 years ago I would have got the minicab jokes too, but in London due to tfl regulations most minicabs and taxis are all newish cars, so you don't see old Japanese cars being used as minicabs like back in the days. Any Merc, Toyota, Vauxhall and Skoda drivers will fortunately get the minicab jokes!

Harvey likes this.
  19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last night I picked up a new TV stand for my entertainment setup, the guy I picked it up from said "That's the biggest boot I've ever seen, it's massive!" And I laughed, I said this thing takes 3 X 2 slabs without even having to put the seats down. I think he was impressed by my lovely Honda.

Oh and this was the unit. photo_1455566893800.

Fiskekutteren, exec and legend-ary like this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Very nice, i didn't know they were sellable, had a few at work think they all got chucked!