Body, Paint & Styling I'm losing the plot here.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 29th Aug, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm starting to get really frustrated with cabin noises which are back again, so much so it can be a decided factor on keeping a car or not. I don't always like to have music on to drown it out and I feel like I've almost exhausted all efforts to eliminate the noises which range from squeaking, creaking, buzzing and rattling.

1. The front two A-Pillars, they are both loose which I assume is because it's part of the air bag system. I've put a small felt tab in between the front tweet and them which seems to have eliminated the noises they were making and also shouldn't effect their operation.

2. The N/S/R door area makes a buzzing noise. I wasn't sure if it was the car seat (there was a sticker on the side which I've removed) but the noise is identical to a buzzing that comes from the drivers door near the B-Pillar. Could this be that plastic stuff inside the door trim? The rear buzzing drives me insane and I've tried with the car seat so it can't be that.

3. Central console storage. I've already got two felt pads at the point where it makes noise which eliminated it but any kind of vibration (such as low revs when pulling away) causes large vibration noises from it. I can live with this though as it's only really when I don't give enough revs when pulling away - not often and I can sort that.

4. The worse bit: front dashboard instrument panel area. This is doing my head in big time. Why is the front dash made up of so many parts instead of one big moulded piece? I removed the front plastic cover where the instrument display is and found five screws inside were all loose. I've tightened it up and also put a felt pad between this trim and the main dashboard above and it's stopped noise from there but there's still annoying creaking coming from the back part of the curved instrument panel dash where it meets the main dash. Feels like my window is going to fall in! lol

Any advice? It's the one thing my Mondeo never did was rattle, buzz etc inside.

20130828_205737.

20130828_205933.

Last edited: Thursday 29th Aug, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate is your clutch plate is dry and flywheel is slight wrapped then this dash noise increase due to nature of vibration in low speeds.

I had this issue on my 7th Generation 2.0 the vibrations were a lot in 1st and second gear and the whole dash rattled and moaned. I fitted new clutch pressure plate flywheel and release bearing and all cabin sounds gone.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think the dry release bearing is a little dry as it makes that squealing sometimes but the vibration is me not giving enough revs - usually because when climate control is on the fan will kick in just as I'm about to pull away and the revs drop ever so slightly. The noises are there on the motorway, local roads etc. I think the bad pot holes, crap British roads, low profile tyres and suspension designed for tasty jap roads are probably to blame but I'm frustrated at not being able to find the source of some of the noises.

I can stick another felt pad in for the dashboard issue but that rear door is driving me insane - it's like having a buzzing fly stuck in a glass jar in the car with you. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

On a side note, where can you get that carbon fibre trim stuff from? I've been looking but it's many American stuff coming up.

Cheers

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If all 5 of the screws holding your instrument panel in are loose then this doesn't sound like coincidence to me. I'd say someone (a previous owner) has had the instrument panel out at some point, along with a lot of other panels as well. The question is why!?

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Make sure you slap a load of vasiline on the plastic on plastic parts that might be moving.

I had those plastic stud/pip things that hold body panels on rattling in an old toyota. The vasiline sorted it out a treat.

6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    We had brand new Mercs that squeaked including my company car, answer as above was to apply liberal amounts of Vaseline.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Was that you could kick the Mercs back doors in easily :Rolf:

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye, I was a little worried that someone may have been in there trying to clock it but it does have a full main Dealer history - although that can be fudged.

After much effort I think all noises have pretty much stopped (including a new one from the glove box door!!!!) with the exception of the console/dashboard bit. Never thought of Vaseline, will pop down to the chemist and get some and explain that IT'S FOR MY CAR and see if it sorts it. Cheers!

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Some progress being made, I pulled apart the dash again and actually removed the instrument panel this time (quite a straightforward job compared to the 6th Generation if memory serves correctly from many years ago when I was changing the instrument panel lights to LED ones). The screws holding the curved bit of dash were not tight but not slack either. Is it possible over 7 years they've worked their way a little free? The roads are pretty rough.

Anyway, all tightened up and I've removed all fabric pads as I felt some of them were actually pushing other parts against each other and causing rub. Things seemed to have quietened down and I think I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a 2 year old car and you are going to get a few noises! lol

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I recently changed jobs 2 weeks ago and one of our clients was Johnson controls who do car parts or something. One of the things we supplied to them was self adhesive velour that was used on the back of door cards and body panels to stop rattles. I've used it at home and it does work really well.

you could give this a try.

DC FIX / FABLON SELF ADHESIVE VELOUR / BAIZE 450mm wide x 1 metre | eBay

Ichiban likes this.
  11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I'll look into it :Smile:

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Unbelievable. I've finally found the noise coming from the rear ns door. It was the front passenger headrest!!!!! Moved it down a notch and the noise is gone. It's so annoying how noises in a car are never where the sound seems to come from. I only found it by chance as I was leaning back tugging at the child seat and then grabbed the headrest to steady myself.

One step closer to silent bliss. Next, road noise!

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff the headrests has notches for it to lock down if its in between the notches it not secure. Never seen that on my accord but i don't adjust the headrest the were set first time when the car was bought.LOL

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The noise keeps coming back in both head rests no matter where I position them, it's a real annoying buzzing! lol I just got a tiny bit of insulation tape and wrapped it around the stem about 2/3 up on the non-notch side and pushed it back in. Seems to have done the trick so result :Smile:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    someone before has been moving these headrests so often he worn the guides.:Search: