General Importing from Japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FirstHonda, Tuesday 19th May, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks to @numpty67 I have been looking at "Goo-Net" all night :Laughing: at all the weird and wonderful JDM cars available at low, low, prices (is it just me, or does that sound a bit like a supermarket commercial?!).

I really like odd small cars with automatic gearboxes - rare here, but not in Japan with their funky "Kei" cars. A Honda Z Turbo looks appealing. Really! Just me? :Grin:

Japanese used cars and Japanese imports | Goo-net Exchange Find Japanese used vehicles

Anyway, I found this thread from a while back with some limited details of what to do if you are looking to import a car from Japan.

Facelift Model - Importing Euro-R CL7

Having looked around on the web, it seems a bit more complex than I was expecting, what with tax implications, inspections, alarm requirements (this must be an urban myth, surely!?), along with the simple stuff like getting a rear fog light fitted and the MOT.

I wondered whether those members that had imported a car personally would recommend it, and could share any hints and tips. Or is using an established UK based broker a better, albeit more expensive, option.

Thoughts?

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I kind of tested the water with importing my Edix. I actually want to import an FD2 in the near future but thought I'd work out the process before buying something much more pricey.

VAT, duty and shipping add a fair bit of cost to the purchase price of the car. Then you have other costs here, £200 IVA test if the car is less than 10 years old, £55 DVLA reg fee, about £100 to pay to a shipping agent to process the car at the docks, MOT fee, then you need to install fog lights and get the instrument cluster reading MPH as well.

So what seems a cheap car on the Japanese website, by the time you've added all the other costs and got the car UK road legal, your total cost is a fair bit.

I will be doing a full write up on my experience of importing very soon.

exec, Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^That will be excellent, thanks @SpeedyGee

^^I hadn't really thought of importing before, but as my requirements are so specific (and generally unavailable in the UK), the more I think about it the more interesting it sounds...:Wink:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's plenty of choice in the JDM market, so it does make sense if you fancy something unique.

7. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark Sims Stoke on Trent
    I'm on my third import.
    I always use BHP Cars as I know I can trust him.
    His team in Japan are top notch and won't bid on a car unless it's to their standards. Which are high.

Importing yourself is a cheaper way to do it but there's a lot that goes on that I never get to see.

For £750 Andy @ BHP will import you any car you want.
    I think it was JM Imports who found a rare small car. Like a Toyota Aygo with a body kit. Looked good

exec and FirstHonda like this.
  8. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark Sims Stoke on Trent
    Here it is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432031815.993477.

exec likes this.
  9. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    For myself I use an importer who travels to Japan to go to the auctions, it is probably the most expensive route but he will warranty the cars, get them quickly through customs and NCT, (we don't have to change clocks or add fog light). Pick up extras or all grade options you want with the car, spares importing and so on. The stranger the car the better it is to have some connection to get in bits and pieces from Japan I've found. There are auction sites and I'm in the process of importing seat covers that route but I'd hate to try and arrange glass. The whole process can be done by yourself it doesn't in reality seem too difficult, but for myself having a purchasing agent has gotten some excellent vehicles and still delivers some value for money.

FirstHonda likes this.