Dealers/Garages Importing from Japan

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by JayG, Tuesday 12th Apr, 2016.

1. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom JayG London
    Hello all.

I am taking the huge step and have decided that my best route to get a decent Mobilio Spike at a price I can deal with is to have one imported direct from Japanese auction.

Through chatting with a few people I have been recommended a new one-man outfit who has recently imported a friend's Stepwgn.

So far he has been friendly and helpful and will only require a refundable deposit to start things rolling. The full on-the-road price to be paid once the vehicle lands and is ready for me to pick up.

I will updating this thread with each step.

So far we have discussed prices, how mileage and colour have an impact these, and what my ideal vehicle will be fitted with.

I intend to pay the deposit on Friday and am really excited about this. I think the worse part is going to be the wait from purchase to the Spike landing on UK soil.

CathyJ_NW, FirstHonda and Ichiban like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate that great news it would be great if you could do a step by step engagement process (aka Guide) of importing this vehicle. I am sure there are loads of members here die who want to know the end to end process of importation a JDM car.

Getting your experience will help a lot, please do it :Hey:

3. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will do @Ichiban - I did look through here to see if there were any such threads but could not find anything recent.

I am hoping that this guy is legit - but I will report back either way. Once the deal has officially started I will name the company and go through the step-by-step process as we go through it :Smile::fingerscrossed:

FirstHonda, Ichiban and legend-ary like this.
  4. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    good luck hope it goes well

JayG likes this.
  5. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @qc2 :salute:

6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If you are concerned some very reputable importers around ...
    Torque GT - Devon direction
    BHP Imports - Newcastle upon Tyne

The both operate on small upfront payment which is refundable in no luck with your search

JayG likes this.
  7. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @nxser - this fella seems to be following that model by the sounds of things. I intend to send him £250 of returnable deposit tomorrow.... :shock:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ooops - damned autospell! * @nsxer *

nsxer likes this.
  8. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No worries... Hope you get what you want

9. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It has started! I have handed over my refundable deposit which will go against the price of the car should he find one to my spec and colour choice.

He has told me that most of the big auctions are on Thursday and Friday so the cars get added on Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully that means I should start seeing what's available as of tomorrow.

Kinda exciting, kinda nerve-wracking.

This is ground zero!

:drinking:

FirstHonda, jd1959 and MickyB like this.
  10. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Has he told you what auction houses he will be using?

Apparently grading can differ a lot so there tends to be only a few that importers use here as grading is seen to be stricter

Best of luck
    - - - Updated - - -
    The process in importing is pretty simple if you get the likes of an importer involved.

You decide on what you want and agree a budget.
    Pay a search fee which varies
    The company initiates a search through their contacts and selected auction houses.
    They notify you when there is something to your spec or as close as. You agree to go ...
    They bid
    If successful the next stage is you pay the Japanese side of costs -car, auction fees, shipping and de-reg and export fees.
    Then it's on a boat for approx 30+ days
    On landing in UK you then will be subject to fees with your importer. They will do the reg process get the car Iva/sva tested and then do the other bits such as fog light wiring and servicing which will include options and costs. Then you both agree time to pick up after all of above is done.

If you decide to import yourself you will have to sort out all of the above yourself ... So there are advantages in getting an importer to do this work for you

That's my understanding of it and in a nutshell

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yup, @nsxer that's pretty much what has happened thus far. His first recommended car has been emailed to me and it's from one of the USS auctions. I have to admit, even though it doesn't have *everything* in my want list, it is a really nice and clean looking vehicle.

We're going to put in my bid even though we do expect it to go for more than my budget. Should be getting more through today and tomorrow. I am not in a desperate rush (although I know the month+ shipping is going to kill me once I have bought a Spike) and would rather wait for one that ticks the most boxes - even then, I am not guaranteed to win it.

If I do win then I have to pay the auction and shipping cost. The rest of the fees are paid upon my collecting the car.

I am glad I have someone who can spend the time searching and bidding, as well as sorting out all the import side of things.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, missed this one by £500 this morning.

image(1). image.

I'm trying to be strict and stick to my budget so, let's see what next week brings. :Niceone:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Unlucky @JayG ! Good on you for sticking to your budget, it's so easy to get carried away at an auction.

14. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @SpeedyGee - I've gotten carried away on eBay before and that was bad enough without playing with a couple more zeros! :shock:

15. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another week - another one missed.

This time it was due to the seller's overly ambitious reserve price (twice the amount of the highest bid - mine!).

Is a really clean vehicle but, really?

image(3). image(2).

16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Just out of curiosity.. is this a live feed that you get or just static photos?
    also, seems like you are open to colour options.. that previous blue actually looked better but then again who doesn't love a white Honda! I wish I could get my Jazz painted white

JayG likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:jumpup::jumpup::jumpup:

:likeit:

legend-ary and JayG like this.
  18. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I get photos and a translation of the auction sheet.

The blue one has come up again as the reserve wasn't matched even by the higher bid. I'm gonna have another stab at it but can't go much more than I did last time.

On the plus side, there's a rather clean, albeit almost stock, silver one up on Saturday. With a good, clean start it won't take much to alter its stance with some springs and wheels.

As for colours - I'm pretty open. There's only red that I tend to avoid as it's never been a lucky colour on cars for me.

White does look good, and seems to be all the rage now. I remember when it was classed as the 'cheap' colour.

I will admit - if I had won the white one I was very tempted to add Imperial Trooper markings on it.

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    will you just look at this beauty!!!

$_57 (1).JPG $_57.JPG
    Interesting! Hopefully you will get the one you want maybe the blue one has seen the light and puts a lower reserve this time. Best of luck!!

harry22673 and JayG like this.
  20. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks dude.

The blue would be cool because it already has the extras but I'd be equally happy with the silver at what I hope will be a lower price. That way I can choose what to add to it.

Either way it's exciting just to be considering a Honda to be my first car in a decade.

CathyJ_NW likes this.