Tyres & Wheels Increased insurance cost for winter rims & tyres

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Monday 19th Oct, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I have just informed my insurer (RAC Insurance) that I will be fitting my winter wheels and tyres on 1 November until end of March and they have charged me an additional £20 premium, with a £25 admin charge. Apparently there would be no charge if I was just changing the tyres.

They will also re-assess the premium when I change back and although they said it might go down (if you believe that.......),they gave no guarantee that the premium would return to the same level as it was when I took it out and in fact could increase. Only bit of good news was that there will be no admin charge to change back!

From now on I will check this out with any prospective insurer before accepting the quote and I don't think I will be staying with the RAC as with this added £45, there were cheaper options for the same cover.

Anyone else experienced this or similar?

Keith.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You can't honestly expect the insurance not to go up for making your car safer? Lol

3. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Is it me or is this illogical

Winter tyres I would have thought by their very nature be better/ safer - thereby reducing risk - thereby reducing premium ? ? ?
    Are the wheels the same as those taken off ? If yes why the charge ?

4. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

Insurance companies will always charge if they can. When i retired i informed my insurance and told them i no longer need business cover and i would be doing around 10,000 miles a year less. Guess what they increased my premium. Soon found another company to insure with

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    No the wheels are 17" as opposed to the 19 in semi low profile Orions the car came with. They are however a standard size as fitted to CR-Vs and the rolling ration is within 0.2% of the original set up. In any event, the insurer never went into any level of detail, just the wheel size and make (they're Dezent alloys).

Keith

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

This is bonkers IMHO, and (with Admiral) there was no charge for changing on my Accord from 17" standard wheels to 18" Sigmas (which included Winter tyres).

The admin charge just adds insult to injury. Time to tell them that you will take your business elsewhere methinks unless they waive the charge...sounds to me like they are taking the p**s.

John Dickson and steve4536 like this.
  7. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There just does not seem to be any real justification for a charge IMHO
    But that's capitalism for you

8. Cobh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Yes, I've seen the ABI document but I think the issue here is changing not only the tyres but the wheels as well. The ABI document only refers to tyres and in fact (as mentioned in my original post) my insurer would not have charged for tyres only. If I cancelled I would no doubt incur a cancellation charge, so I'll live with it until renewal time comes round and then check the position on this point of any potential insurer I am considering going with before committing.

10. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ditch RAC, I'm positive there's much better deals on the market. Ask up front before you buy insurance to cover this (safety feature) you are planning to use every winter.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Are winter tyres really safer? Maybe when it's really cold and the roads are covered in snow and ICE, but maybe less safe when it's warmer and wet (as it is now)?

vincemince likes this.
  12. Euan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Crazy. I'll be avoiding RAC insurance then. Though saying that, I wonder if it depends on the underwriter?

13. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Actual insurance company is ABC.

Keith

14. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be honest that's why I don't use them. Living down south you maybe get 2 to 3 days during winter where they maybe of some use. Other than that a waste of money and effort.

15. Cobh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bizarre. If the wheels are the same size and there is no added bling factor (unlikely with winter wheels if steel) I can't see how this company justify extra charges! Change insurer.

16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    There is a plethora of clear evidence that low temperature tyres are for more effective at gripping and stopping at below 7 degrees C., hence best time to use them in UK is during the winter months.

Whether they are worthwhile in the South of the U.K. where temperatures even in December and January are frequently above 7 is debatable (and the subject of much debate which I'm not going to get involved with here), however I have to admit here that (as strange as many people will think) I don't like the Otions that the car came with, to the extent that one of the reasons for the winter set up is so don't have to look at them for 5 months of the year!

Keith

FirstHonda and Cobh like this.
  17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is madness! Surely if the winter wheels are standard Honda alloys or similar, they are no more likely to be a theft risk and if you're putting steel wheels on even less so surely?

Typical rip off Britain. I remember telling my insurer that I'd put my private plate on my car via the online account. They charged me £25 admin! What for? The change was made on line, on my computer, using my electric and broadband and my time, paper and ink to print the new certificate out. Surely if fair was fair I should be charging them for my assistance in reducing their operating costs?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Insures all seem to love to take the Mickey

FirstHonda likes this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Forget tyres, you get charged for having stickers on your car ! Yes stickers !

If you don't tell them about stickers, this could invalidate your insurance when it comes to claiming, read a storey about where this had happened a while ago.

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I'd say that - even in the South of England - if you are commuting before 08.00am then the temperature is below 7 degrees centigrade at least 75 percent of the time between December and February.

I've seen some of the articles and reviews about Winter tyres, and although there is a lot of evidence in favour there is also a lot saying that a car with 'normal' tyres driven properly can be almost as effective.

BUT - and laugh at me if you wish - over my driving career of 25 years plus, I guess I've driven in snow maybe a dozen times (icy roads obviously a bit more). I am therefore not used to those conditions, and hate driving in them. Winter tyres give me more confidence - not to drive faster, but more smoothly and with fewer nerves, which can only be a good thing.

BTW Keith, I still really like the Orion wheels and am on the look out for a set for my CR-V...:Grin:

:sorry:

steve4536 and 155695 like this.
  20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Some interesting videos on the HondaKarma You Tube channel.

As an aside, if you haven't looked at the You Tube channel, it is well worth a browse. Lots of good stuff there...:Thumbup: