Electrical & Lights Indicator flashing fast and rear sensors not working

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by M_zafar, Friday 8th Apr, 2016.

1. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mobeen London
    Hi folks

Not too sure if these are related:

Left indicator flashes twice the speed. Swap bulbs from left to right and problem still exists. Only side mirror lights not changed, do I need to do this? Wasn't too sure how to open the casing.

Front sensors are okay, when I do into reverse I hear a 2 sec beep followed by a long beep for 10sec. Do I need to remove the boot trim offside and locate the diagnostics cable and earth/ground it?

The car has a 7 pin towbar socket that looks okay, the towbar is removable and not connected.

Will I need to remove the rear bumper to get to the sensors? If so, how could I do this?

Thanks

2. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    When indicators flash quicker than normal, that means there is a indicator bulb that's is blow and need replacing. Check if all 6 indicator bulbs are working. 2 front, 2 side, 2 rear. Also if you have aftermarket led indicator bulbs, it will most likely flash.

Would you be able to tell us if the sensors are original or aftermarket?

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    :whathesaid:

DrSam likes this.
  4. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All indicators are working, when hazard is on, they all operate at the correct speed. All standard bulbs and fittings, no aftermarket jobby. When left indicator used then the fast flashing happens, in fact the first 2 flashes are sometimes okay and then it speeds up. As I mentioned before, front and rear indicator bulbs swapped with right side, didnt swap the mirror indicators as I wasn't too sure how to do this.

The parking sensors are the factory fitted ones as I have the EX model.

5. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hmmm, sounded quite odd at first and all i can think of is, it maybe a faulty indicator relay but then i found some post's i have linked below by other users. Seems like they had similar issues if not same. Maybe that will help. Please take some time to read them and keep us updated.

Indicator: Honda FR-V Indicators Faulty (Electrical & Lights - )

Sensors: Parking sensor fault (Electrical & Lights - )

Zebster and SpeedyGee like this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The indicator issue does sound like a MICU failure as per @DrSams link above.

DrSam likes this.
  7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does sound like a MICU

8. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Read both posts in detail:

Not convinced the indicator issue is related to the ICU purely because the behaviour I have is different. I stand to be corrected as I'm not an electrician.

Parking sensor one makes sense so I will try the diagnostics cable first and see what happens. I had come across that thread before however wasn't too sure if the issue was related to the indicator issue. I will treat them separately. Will take some pics of the panel removals as I've not seen many on the web.

9. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I think maybe try to swap the mirror indicator bulb to remove the possible 'bulb issue' from the equation and if that doesn't help then replace the relay. I can't think if any other suggestions at the moment.

Has anyone else got any?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There's a change in the resistance in the circuit which is why the relay is triggering quicker. You've already stated that all the bulbs are OK, so it's not because of blown bulb. So therefore there's either a wiring fault or a circuit fault (MICU circuit perhaps).

DrSam likes this.
  11. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any ideas how to swap the mirrors or open the case so I can access the bulbs?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Once someone can tell me how to to access the mirror indicator bulb, I will swap the bulbs first.

Then I guess I will need to check the wiring looms. Finally the dreaded relay which Honda for sure haven't made a simple task

12. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm not too sure but maybe this can help?
    Side Mirror Indicator Lens Remove and Replace

13. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks

Removing the internal boot panels has been a mission. There are 2 Phillips screws that are ultra tight and I can't remove them! Everything else is clipped in. I have therefore worked on the cabling with the panel still inserted however pulled out as much as it can go. The off side panel had most the cabling going to it. There are 2 boxes there, a black one and a white one. Not too sure what they are though.

I found a plug which had a pink and blue cable on one side and a orange one on the other. Disconnected this and my the indicator issue is resolved!

I wounder if this goes the the tow bar socket? The tow bar has Honda branding on it, I will never use it. Phone ran out of charge, will take some pics.

Leaves me with the reverse sensors issue, not figured out where the diagnostic cable is, anyone got an idea?

14. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks

See attached photos,
    The plug I disconnected which resolved the left fast indicator issue.

A pic of the 7 pin tow bar socket

A pic of the screw I can't open

A pic of the white box

And finally a pic of the black box

1460223802577-482738437. 1460223846554-1216249043. 1460223901834-1825542901. 1460223940102-628079946. 1460223980502-1872421582.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 10th Apr, 2016
    DrSam likes this.
  15. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are front parking sensors with a switch in the dash a standard install for the 2009 ex FR-V? I didn't notice this on most pics of the car on the web. My assumption is this has been installed to disable the rear sensors. The problem could be here too. Still need to locate the diagnostic cable though

16. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

See attached photo of the switch, the front sensors work without any issue. Is this a standard install?

1460234048671-844587807.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 10th Apr, 2016
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That looks distinctly aftermarket.

DrSam likes this.
  18. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Found the diagnostics cable, it had a blue insulation tape wrap round it. Earthed it and got some codes that I'm checking out now.

Attached Files:

kes likes this.
  19. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Where was it located and how did you ground it and checking the codes? I never did it before, would be good to know .

20. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right hand side (drivers side, off side) removed the trim (I couldn't entirely as i couldn't undo the 2 screws attached inside the cargo hooks. The unit is inside the wing bolted with 3 nuts and isn't visable as its just next to the speaker. There is a plastic tubing going into the area, my one had blue tape wrapped around the tube which I thought was odd and had a red cable terminated there. There isn't much room to play with and the cable is pretty short. Undone the tape and that exposed a loose cable. Stripped it a bit and with the tape I connected to some metal on the car, nothing fancy! Put car into reverse and got 7 tones. Low tone is fault and high tone is no error. I was confused to start of with and then figured out the first tone is low which is the initiation of the test.

Then follow the last page of the manual which I found on this forum:

http://hondakarma.com/data/attachment-files/2013/09/38455_FRV_Rear_Parking__Kit.pdf

I got the following tones

Low
    Low
    High
    High
    High
    Low
    High

All lows are error except the first one.

So this means I have errors on:

ECU
    And
    Sensor 10 (second from right)

The ECU one worries me as I am not to sure if I need to replace the ECU.

The sensor is a straight new replacement I guess. Will plug it out and give it a clean before I invest in a new one. Anyone have suggestions on the ECU error?

kes and DrSam like this.