Intake System Induction Kit Any Good?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Kris81, Thursday 26th Feb, 2015.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Looking through eBay last night and come across loads of intakes for the tsx,

Could these be any worse/better than the big names?
    Certainly cheaper!!

Screenshot_2015-02-26-21-02-08~2.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Have a little read through Heeltoe's Intake Shootout (@MrHeeltoe), you'll find comparisons there from some of the cheaper kits to the more expensive brand names.

If there's any conclusions to draw, it's that the overall diameter of the intake tubing seems to contribute to power most when it closely matches the throttle bodies inlet size (67mm IIRC on our JDM models) - and of course, the colder the source of air the better to help negate heat soak.

3. Jay22 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jamie Thirsk
    This is probably a silly question but can you put one of these cold air intake systems on a petrol?

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye but avoid SRI ones because as said you'll get heatsoak. A good CAI will be much better. SRI is ok for turbocharged cars as the air is passing so fast heatsoak isn't applicable. Some engineer guy did the maths on it in another forum a while back but logic also dictates I guess.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. Jay22 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jamie Thirsk
    Brilliant thanks for the info dude. This really helps.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Also, I would try to avoid any oil lubricated filters as they can mess with MAF sensors etc.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's no MAF on K series.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Have a search about the forum, lots of us have them. @ArcticFire's point about getting a CAI not an SRI is important for performance.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye I know, we talked about that a long time ago. Was just pointing out a general tip though. As far as I know I don't think a map sensor can be contaminated like a MAF one can but happy to be corrected here as I'm not 100% sure.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

MAFs are delicate because they have an exposed element.

The sensory part of a MAP sensor is inside it so it's not so prone to getting damaged so easily.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Unless you're Leo and go to remove one from your old intake manifold and clean snap it in half :Laughing:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:thumbdown: :telloff:

:mechanic: :biceps: :showoff:== :depressed: :Aghast: :brickwall:

:mechanic: :GiveRose::flowers:== :Grin::jumpup::BooYeah:

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

ROFL :spock:

Actually was being really gentle with it, the plastic was just brittle as hell and firmly wedged.

14. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Another thing to be very aware of is the location of any CAI... Most are fitted so they take colder air from the bottom/underneath the car... and I know of many stories where people have gone through puddles deeper than they realised and hydrolocked their engines.... effectively trashing them (wasn't economical to do the costly repairs required).

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Very valid point, I was so paranoid about it I fitted not only a water-resistant filter cover but a bypass filter too :Laughing:

@SpeedyGee had a scare in the past week with just a replacement airbox that discarded the resonator :Ohdear:

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Speaking of resonators, if anyone is thinking about removing theirs whilst on a stock airbox then it's worth noting that the sound baffling is a secondary function of it. The primary function is actually to assist better airflow with the stock airbox so removing it will actually reduce performance.

DeviateDefiant likes this.