Intake System Induction Kit

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by staffy boy, Monday 21st Apr, 2014.

1. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

im thinking on putting an induction kit on my 1st Generation CR-V any advice on what one to buy?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This sound good to me bud.

Just found this on the net

staffy boy likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd just buy a cone filter and the necessary piping to position it somewhere cold air comes in. You won't find many pre-made kits for the 1st-Gen specifically, but if you look at inductions for other B-Series engines you'll no doubt find something suitable.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I stuck a cheap one from Halfords on my Accord 7th Generation and it was hideous. The noise was seriously unbearable inside even under gentle acceleration and it sounded like a bad chav machine on the outside, after driving for 5 minutes I started losing performance presumable from a combination of being a cheap SRI and also heat soak - although the principle of heat soak is questionable in my opinion due to the incredibly short time new air is actually in there for except at near stationary speeds, at speed would it even have time to absorb enough heat to make an impact?

I took it back the next day.

On the MPS I've got a good quality SRI and also upgraded the TIP (turbo inlet pipe). The sound is completely different and is more of a whooshing sound and you can only really hear the induction roar if close to the car - although I think being forced induction keeps it quieter whereas n/a engines are louder with an SRI. For me it's worth it due to the restricted airflow as my turbo tries to gulp in air, especially with the TIP as the stock one has a serious choke point where it curves. Now that my fuel trims have settled I'm not only feeling a better performing car but my fuel economy has gone up by a few MPG's! lol

Is there any particular reason for wanting to put one on the CR-V?

5. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not really just a mate of mine said it would sound better and go better if I did

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It's not that likely to make any real performance difference, SRI systems can actually often lose a bit of torque compared to the factory set-up as
    @ArcticFire mentioned. People just like the sound.

8. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cool I'm not a engine bloke I clean and drive it get all my work done buy mechanics so I won't waste my money cheers guys

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Here's a good example of what it will sound like inside (probably has window open but in my Accord it was just as loud with the window closed!)

I think it will just ruin the cabin experience without the performance to accompany it. Not really sure what you could do with regard to performance without putting some serious money into it, but then is the rest of the car suitable to handle it? I think money spent on good engine & gear oils, plugs, filters etc would be better. If it were my CR-V I'd probably focus more on aesthetics and driver conveniences such as in-car tech (dash cams, reversing cameras, sound system, tinted windows etc).

Just as a thought, it may be worth looking into a dry panel filter to replace the OEM one but not a wet one such as K&N as the oil can knacker your MAF sensor (expensive). I would be inclined to think that a genuine Honda filter would be pretty good though and avoid 3rd party ones.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

IMHO, I agree with this too.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @staffy boy any updates bud did you get your CAI or a basic induction kit?

12. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

not putting an induction kit on now it won't make that much of a different to the power just make it drink more fuel

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good call fella.

14. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @staffy boy what other mods do you have in the pipeline ? sneak preview..:Thumbup:

16. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just tinting the windows and a better back box and when I can afford it new wheels

Ichiban likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Was your back box original with the car do you know that ?

18. staffy boy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the back box is original i just want a after market one to make it sound better not one of those one that wake the dead