General Injectors

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by robclowes, Sunday 1st May, 2016.

1. robclowes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Crewe
    I believe my injectors need replacing. Is a terraclean worth trying

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What would they be blocked up with ? I forget the exact pressure on the ICTDI rail but it's something like upto 2000 bar !

Don't think anything will blocking it up at that pressure.

Zebster likes this.
  3. robclowes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Crewe
    It's just what my local dealer has come up with. Poor starting and low MPG

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hmm I'm dubious but I'm not a diesel expert, let me call upon @Zebster for his thoughts.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is this a Honda dealer, @robclowes ? Did they actually run diagnostics to determine that there is an injector problem... there is a specific HDS routine for checking that the injector imbalance is within the range of ECU auto-correction.

As Speedy said, the fuel pressure is fantastically high and so the injectors are unlikely to become blocked. When I had mine out around 18 months ago (~155k miles) I was surprised how clean they looked and, in any case, the Honda service manual said not to try cleaning them! And I mainly use whatever fuel is cheapest, including 'evil' supermarket fuel.

In any case, poor starting and high MPG doesn't suggest blocked injectors. Is the poor starting worse hot or cold? How bad is the MPG? Is the air filter OEM?

If they would use their HDS to aid proper diagnosis, they could also check that the EGR valve is fully closing or not (which might also explain the symptoms). But maybe they have monthly targets for selling Tunap?

6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    What about the fuel filter? seems that a non-OEM fuel filter can give no end of trouble with this engine.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Very true, but not so much starting problems (while fuel demand is low). And a restricted fuel filter will cause DTCs to be registered.