ICE & HFT Install of Sat Nav.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Jay22, Monday 20th Apr, 2015.

1. Jay22 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jamie Thirsk
    Hello everyone.

I have another question. It maybe straight forward but I wanted to ask. In my Accord 7th Generation it has a standard CD player, but I'm wanting to find out if I can install a Honda Sat Nav System with ease? One of the reasons I'm asking is do I need to add anything to be able to have this is my car? I've seen the systems on line (ebay) and like the look of them and think one would look very nice in my motor.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    What Accord do you have Jay? Put it in our club garage, it will show in your signature and make things easier for others to help you.

As a rule, as far as I know, you cannot install an OEM sat nav into your vehicle - it needs a different electrical loom set up for it to work (speed sensor wires etc)

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    As @Nighthawk said it can be done but at a cost. Cheapest loom I've seem is about £80, then you will need new centre trim to mount DVD, top dash for display then head unit, GPS unit, amp etc.

4. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    Also there is an antenna built into the rear screen, so you need to replace the rear screen

5. Jay22 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jamie Thirsk
    Nighthawk. I will be uploading pictures soon, just haven't got around to it yet ha. Thanks for the info guys, it's nice that there's so many people into these cars.

6. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All the best with the project

7. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Is it the rear screen or the side rear window? I only ask as my car has what appears to be heater wiring in the glass but surely can't be...

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The two vertical lines in the rear window is the aerial - the horizontal ones are the demister as normal.

9. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Do you mean the side or the back?

10. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The antenna is a short metal strip about 6 inches long looking like a heater wire stuck on the inside of the the rear screen. I believe it is for XM radio so it may not be an important part.

11. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    OK as I was curious about the lines in the side windows

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not really the GPS antenna which is behind the dashboard is sufficient for GPS signal the rear glass is for radio only see here ICE & HFT - Radio interference

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yup just replaced my GPS antenna is a small square box fitted under the top centre section of the dash board, easy to fit once the top parts removed. It plugs directly into the dvd drive (small grey socket on right hand side.

14. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Daniel London
    Hmm, sorry to bump this rather old topic, but figured better than making exactly the same one. I just got an Accord and it just has basic player unit, curious if by my car specs there would be fairly easy solution to perhaps install another unit with sat nav? Most likely a used one from eBay or something which I think I've seen go from 150 to 200. By reading other comments I am guessing the issue is bigger wiring wise rather than unit itself? Still, would be rather neat to update at some point, just curious if it's any easier with my vehicle though. Thanks

Attached Files:

15. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Not an easy job and very expensive, you will require head unit/DVD rom/DVD disc/display unit for dash/wiring loom/GPS module.

16. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you had to guesstimate the cost, what would it be? But yeah I am fearing it's around £500 now and thus definitely not worth it :Frown:

Minus 1 unit, I think this has most things needed though right?

h0ndata1 | eBay

17. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

I paid £400 for the same project but still needed the loom £80, DVD disc £50 plus.

You will need a good understanding of wiring.

I abandoned the whole project when I changed cars.

18. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like a hassle, not a project for me at all then.

Gotta have to deal with standalone sat nav.

19. Pilot Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry once again to come back to this. Still thinking about it and just would like someone who already has done such transformation to comment on things that I will encounter. Worst case scenario I have a friend who does such things within cars, handyman sort of...but obviously he'd only be able to do it with all the parts necessary. So I am just thinking, if I get literally everything from say a sat nav version of Accord, looms and other things, will it work flawless without having me to make modifications to looms or wiring and cut anything? I'd also like a confirmation of things I'd need,

So far I do know the center dash would need replacing top and bottom of it. DVD, Brackets, GPS module, wiring loom, sat nav unit.

Can't you technically take the original loom out of my Accord and replace it with sat nav version loom and reconnect it all back and whoallah it all works even though it might be a hassle? Do help me out guys, cheers :Smile:

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Retro fitting like this is not something that is done very often. So the answer to your questions aren't going to be readily available.

You'd have to take the trial and error approach of finding things out.