Electrical & Lights Installed a clock in my 6th Generation Accord, need help with connectors/wiring

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by tazg1, Thursday 10th Jan, 2013.

1. tazg1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, new to this so bear with me please.
    I just wanted to simply install a clock in my 6th Generation accord, and pulled apart the required facia, however there are no spare connectors from what I can see. I tried to test with the ciggy lighter 4 pin connector but nothing came up on the screen. I'm assuming it required another connector on the centre stub, any ideas how I can proceed or if I missed something?
    Appreciate any assistance.
    Cheers
    Taz

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Taz,

Is this an after market clock ?

What wires does it come with ?

Does it need a permanent live and switched live ?

Whats wrong with the clock fitted in the car ?

3. tazg1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Speedygee
    Thanks for the response. Strangely the car did not have a clock in it. I've purchased one from EBay, went to install it today, assuming there would be spare connectors as part of the wiring loom but there weren't any. It's not after market but is the click for the 6th Generation accord. I tried testing with the cigarette lighter connector but nothing came on so assuming that the centre spur on the rear needs connecting also?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    IIRC the cig lighter will only come on when ignition is set to the second II position on the barrel.

5. tazg1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichban. I did of course switch on the ignition to test the clock but no joy. I also validated the connector was active by testing the cig lighter previously.
    I'm trying to understand if the 4 pin block connector is the only connection required or whether the central stub on the back of the clock also needs a connector and if so not sure how to get around this.
    If not then could it be the bulb in the clock?
    Also should there not be spare unused connectors in the wiring loom?
    Thanks
    Taz

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    dude seriously lost what you are trying to do ..I personally cannot guide you without looking at it physically you may need help locally.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not following what is going on here either, hence why I asked all those questions, which weren't answered.
    So still don't what is going on Lol.

As IchibanAccord says, best to get some local help as we can't tell from your descriptions which wires/connectors you are talking about.

Typically a cig lighter only has two wires going to it, positive and negative. Also a clock would I assume need a permanent wire going to it too.

8. tazg1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Speedy/Ichban, appreciate the feedback, I thought I had answered the questions, but I probably wasn't clear and also newbie to forums which is probably apparent, so just clarifying. :Smile:
    Understand that it's tricky without looking at the unit, so have a link to an item number on Ebay where same unit is displayed below.

To answer :
    Q:Is this an after market clock ?
    A:It's a standard Honda Accord 6th Generation clock that you get fitted probably with higher spec cars. I've sourced one to fit in my 6th Generation Accord 1.8s.
    Q:What wires does it come with ?
    A:It doesn't come with wires, just the unit itself, same as the one listed on Ebay item number : 160768331682 where the second picture shows the reverse of the clock with the 4 pin connector on the side and the central stub.
    Q:Grin:oes it need a permanent live and switched live ?
    A:Can't answer that i'm afraid. I'm guessing that it would need to be on whilst the ignition was on, but no switch as clock would be permanently on.

Hope this clarifies and that you can assist. Cheers guys
    Taz

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There should be a connector for that dangling around behind the dash somewhere. Can you not see a correct shaped spare connector ?

My guess is it needs earth, ignition fed live, permanent live and perhaps live from lights (to dim the clock when lights are on)

That's guesswork though, so what we need here is a wiring diagram for the clock.

10. Jordan Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

York
    Any luck resolving this problem? I'm interested in installing one of those clocks if there is the appropriate plug

11. tazg1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey Jordan! Well I've installed the clock and it looks great....however I haven't had a chance to check more whether there are connectors, which there weren't when I opened up the dash area. It's a case of rummaging around, but I haven't located a wiring diagram yet....

12. Jordan Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

York
    So how did you manage to power the clock ?? :Smile:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Jordan, I think what Tazg1 is saying that he has fitted the clock but not managed to find the right connector or wires to connect to.
    So currently the clock is not powered up.

14. tazg1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes indeedy precisely that

15. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've not been a honda (car) owner for long, (long term honda bike owner though) but there seems to be a minefield of clocks. my Type-V has potentially two clocks, without a separate clock being fitted at all, one on the bose stereo (which I turn off so I can see the RDS display on the stereo), and one on the climate control display. Taz, do you have climate control or the standard heater / AC controls on your car? it could be the wiring to power a separate clock was on only the base models with standard Heater controls and a basic stereo, or conversely the top spec cars with sat nav, when the clock was located in front of the gear stick. It may be worth looking higher up behind either the stereo or the heater controls to see if its coiled up there.

16. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Same with my friends Accord, she does not have the clock at all, just the cubby hole, its the basic S, yet my other mate has an S and it has the clock lower in the console as it has the standard heater console. I'd bet on the connector for it being taped up behind the dash somewhere. My Exec has the clock in the climate control area, and on the Bose headunit, although the time is wrong on the headunit as I can't figure out how to set it