Pre-Facelift Model Installing facelift items on pre-facelift (SatNav + steering wheel + VSA)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mustnap, Friday 24th Jul, 2015.

1. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    Hi Guys.

I own the pre-facelift model of Accord CL7 Petrol 2.0 . I want to install some of the Facelift items on my Accord.

1. Satnav: I do not live in the UK nor europe (I am in a Southeast asian country). Where can I get the maps for a specific country? Or there is no such Asian maps available for the satnav from Accord? Can I use maps from different supplier? (like opersource nav map). If there is none, or i cannot use an open source one, it would be pointless i suppose.

2. Steering wheel functionality: Would it be possible to swap the steering wheel of the facelift version with handsfree button, and utilise the button with an OEM audio/satnav player (for example, China made player). (picture of the facelift steering wheel attached + example of China audio player). The china player says it supports the steering wheel functionality, but i assumed it refers to the volume and channel changing, not the handsfree bit.

3. VSA: My car is not equipped with VSA. Can I lift the VSA functionality from a petrol Accord that has it, and use it on my car? (I assumed the diesel version is different) If i can do so, can someone show me what exactly i need to take from a car that has it and use it on my car? Diagrams would help.

4. Cruise Control: My car is not equipped with cruise control either. I found it very difficult to find documentation of the parts involved in the cruise control. I found one for TSX but not sure if it is the same with my Right hand drive Accord CL7. If it is possible for me to lift the functionality from another car and install it, can someone points me to the stuff i need to take?

5. Transmission: my car is 5 speed manual on K20A6 petrol engine . Would it be okay if I swap my transmission with a K24 6 speed manual transmission? Is it easily swapped (meaning will it fit nicely or there are lots of other stuff needed to be taken care of as well?). <-- this bit i actually have no purpose of doing so - so any comments discouraging me would be very welcome :Smile:

autowp.ru_honda_accord_sedan_uk-spec_87 2. FOR-2003-2007-honda-accord-GPS-IPOD-BT-SD-USB-RCA-AUX-RADIO-MP3-MP4. 2015-07-21_12h15_16. 2015-07-21_12h15_23. 2015-07-21_12h23_25. 2015-07-21_12h25_06.

(i already have the facelift steering wheel and the wiring + bracket).

Thank you.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Is your car a JDM car or a UKDM spec car? its quite clear the picture you posted is of RHD FL car.In Japan you can get DVD's for other Asian countries for Honda cars but they will be in Japanese I doubt it there is English version available in Japan but it will be worth speaking to Bernard at AutoDynamics he is based in Singapore. He may be able to point you in the right direction and have an alternative English DVD if available in Singapore it worth a try. Open source panel the picture you have posted are pointless as the aircon and MICU and half of the multiplex from the time source will stop to function, you address one issue of sat nav you break the button functions and operation of other equipment. If you can’t get the DVD I suggest you convert the sat nav to watch movies with an aftermarket kit attached to it and you use a standalone sat nav of your choice.

As above you will have issues with aircon not working, but speak to this Chinese vendor and get conformation if the Honda MICU will interact with the sub-systems if they don’t respond you know your answer.

Strange your cars should have one can you take a picture of the engine bay Left hand side let see what you got.

It is possible but the cost will be prohibitive and will take a lot of hard graft to get it done do you have deep pockets?

Yes that is a good mod to do personally and the gearbox will fit and if you are doing that I would do this too Accord/7th Generation - Ichiban's 2.4 Accord Tourer ('07) | Page 5

Use the FN2 flywheel and clutch plate kit, more info on the compatibility have a look at this In-Depth - Honda K Series Drivetrain Mods OEM

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For how much all this is going to cost, isn't it more worthwhile to swap your car to a newer model?

4. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Pottermus: yes, i do know that there might be a high costs involved. However, i now live in a country where used cars are not that cheap. If i am still in the UK, it would have made sense for me to buy a new used Accord CU2 maybe (for GBP5k ?). Used cars, even my 12 year old Accord CL7 could still be sold for more than GBP9k-10k! That is how ridiculous the car price is over here. So since I could definitely not afford that price (i would not want to take loans definitely), the only way i can improve my ride is to add features that my 12 year old car still lacks. The labour cost here is not as much as it is in the UK, but getting the used parts could be a bit tricky and pricey.

@Ichiban:
    1. & 2. My car is UKDM - purchased it when I was in the UK. VIN starts with JHMCL7. The OEM player shown there was an example - i've seen a number of such players with different design that the manufacturer stated the players will work with the existing steering wheel functionality (which i know they meant the Volume, Channel and the Mode). Definitely no mention of the Hands Free System. I will try to contact that person you mentioned -if the stock Satnav works, i might want to try giving it a go. Btw, the official Accord in the country where I am living in, is the Accord SDA/CM4 (it follows the Accord model released in the USA) but the players are said to have been working for both types of Accord. It is just that no SatNav version here. Also, i have seen other CL7 users in my country that installed China made player but i have not been able to get the owners' comments on their experience using such players.

3. Attached is the left handside (the drivers side) of the engine bay. Just so you know, my car does not have the VSA button near the headlight level adjuster on the panel to the right of the steering wheel. Plus, when i checked my VIN on Lingshondaparts, the description of my car brought me to the conclusion that my car does not have VSA.

4. Well, my pocket isn't that deep but if i know the ballpark figure, i could see whether I could go through with the idea of having Cruise Control on my 5 speed manual car. I have already purchased the facelift steering wheel though (exactly like the steering wheel in the picture i shared before) :Tongue: . So 1 part down, maybe 4-5 more? hehe

5. Thanks for the comment on this: i've gotten a quote on getting a used 6-speed gearbox but the cost of importing it from the UK could be prohibitive. Not sure of other cheaper source to get it though. I've already changed the flywheel to be using a EuroR (that was what my friend said - picture attached as well) and already using Exedy Clutch (+ Exedy clutch cover). In terms of performance, would it make any difference if i change it to 6 speed transmission from a 5 speed one?
    IMG_20150723_163257. IMG-20150317-WA0017.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So your car in essence is a SE does it have fabric seats?, those models didn't have VSA at all. TBH you better off it you can enjoy wheel spins without any interruptions:Wink:. don't bother retro fitting VSA your ECU , and other sensors, yaw rate sensor will be missing you should have bought a 2.4 if you wanted all these options.

Since your car is a SE your throttle body is cable operated and is not DBW to get cruise control on you will need a TB, ECU, switches, DBW unit, looms, fuse box , which equates to around 2k easily and more.

Try getting a Euro R gearbox those will be close ratios you can easily get that in asia, you will get a better drive. if you do a lot of highway\motorway driving then the 6th gear will drop the revs for cruising.

mustnap likes this.
  6. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, it does have fabric seats with side airbags. I swapped the front seats with a pair of SSCUS bucket seats (and now the seat airbag warning sign is permanently switched on).

Haha, alright, i guess i'll put off having VSA. Back then when i was searching for a car, i didn't consider much - was looking for a low mileage, well maintained less than 10 year old car and i got this Accord CL7 for a good price. Too late for me to upgrade my car now - so i'll try to keep this car maybe for another 3-4 years more.

As for the Cruise control - how much is the ECU usually? And can my car use an ECU meant for a 2.2 I-CDTI Accord? I got the wirelooms already. Now i need to check the price for fusuebox, DWB unit & TB from a scrapped car that has cruise control. If i could get a good bargain for those bits, i might proceed with my idea of getting a Cruise Control.

Ah so 6 speed Euro R gear box is better than the one for 2.4 liters? Got it. I've always wondered if they are the same - have been contemplating to upgrade my engine to be using Euro R engine - but i still like my current 2.0 engine (low mileage and less hassle to maintain compared to the maintenance needed if i swap the engine).

7. usj101 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia Shawn Subang Jaya
    Bro,
    Any updates on your modification?