ICE & HFT Installing navigation on Accord with no navi

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dragos, Wednesday 5th Nov, 2014.

1. Dragos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

DRARAD Bucharest
    Hello,
    Because i just bought my Accord 2.2 I-CTDI i'm still very excited about it, you know how it is when you buy a car that you've always liked and it came through my mind to instal Navigation. I found a second hand one, from the same model of Accord as mine and i popped a question to our Honda dealer in Bucharest about installing it and what it presumes.
    The answer left me speechless, the installing costs about 450 EUR, and appart the Navigation itself, and the small display on top with the holes for air ( i don't know how to call them :Smile: sorry ) i need the following.
    - rear window to be changed ( as the GPS antena is in the wires inside the window)
    - another antenna that is attached to the roof ( available only for models with navigation )
    - the bluetooth unit together with the buttons on the steering wheel
    - modifications in the fuse pannel
    ...anyway a pain in the butt in the end

Is here somebody that made the change from non navi to navi and it worked?
    Thank you guys.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

In theory, this can be done, but would be very, very expensive and involve a great deal of work.
    If your car doesn't have the original Honda Sat Nav built in, you may be better off with a separate unit.
    I don't think anyone has successfully done this, but happy to be corrected.

3. Dragos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

DRARAD Bucharest
    Yes, sure that can be done and is confirmed by the guys from the Honda Dealer, which honestly, i trust very much their expertise demonstrated all this time while i visited them for various reasons.
    the handcraft is 450 EUR + navi sistem ( 500 EUR ) + ( i think the steeringwheel has to be changed, also, not only the buttons ) + rearwindow ( inbuilt GPS antenna, so you cannot do it other way ) + modifications in the fuse box and some electrical devices, and another antenna attached to the roof...too much! :Frown:
    ..it's better maybe to wait for this excitement to pass naturally...

4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    It can be done, I have most of the equipment ready to install in my car. @Nighthawk had a link for someone who has successfully upgraded to satnav in their car.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm sure we've had one or two people do it successfully on this site too.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If it can be done but worth considering is that it really isnt the greatest sat nav system in the world. it works ok but an uptodate original disc from honda costs double of what a new tomtom costs and the tomtom will be far more uptodate. Its a nice thing to have but mine has developed and disc read error and I am seriously considering leaving it and using tomtom as a few times (even with the uptodate disc) is doesnt know a lot of places I have tried to find. So had to borrow a tomtom tom to get there.

Upto you of course

9. Nighthawk Guest

If you have a petrol Gen 7, you can get an android direct replacement, some seem quite good, others don't. Unfortunately, they don't work on the diesel versions

10. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mmm whats that then? Is that the replacement screens I have seen on ebay or another android interface? Android rocks and google maps navigation is great.. and always uptodate!
    Tell me more!

11. Nighthawk Guest

Here is one for you:

Its a pretty annoying video but it gives you the idea

Car DVD GPS Navigation Headunit Autoradio For 03-07 Honda Accord with PIP RDS iPod VCDC bt tv swc 8 INCH HD Touchscreen 03-07 Honda Accord dvd player,03-07 Honda Accord navigation system,03-07 Honda Accord radio gps,03-07 Honda Accord DVD GPS Navigation System with RDS,BT,CDC,TV [CBNDHL2001] - US$329.00 : www.carpcdvd.com

There is also one made by Autosoul - but that apparently is really really bad.

That type of thing - there are a few different versions out there. They don't work with the diesel versions due to some problem with the wiring shorting out the AC compressor but they are fine in petrols apparently.

They do however have mixed reviews, but the biggest thing for me is that the driver and passenger heat controls are on the wrong side and that would drive me just mad.

12. wing Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

wing london
    Noo no good for diesel models end up blowing up :Smile:

Do this what I have done

Attached Files:

13. Nighthawk Guest

Yup, thats why I never changed my headunit - the android ones blow the aircon compressor due to the way they have wired them. Pity really....

14. Dragos Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

DRARAD Bucharest
    The one in the left seems to me not suiting at all the dashboard...no no...i'd rather use an old fashioned but reliable paper map...and leave the car as it is...