Facelift Model Installing replacement HID Bulbs?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by speeding_ant, Sunday 23rd Nov, 2014.

1. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Hi from NZ!

I just acquired a 2006 Accord CM2 Type-S with 28,000kms on the clock. Real tidy piece of kit, loving it so far. I've got a few questions though, which I'm hoping you guys could help me with?

• One of the HID bulbs is a different colour temperature.. how easy are they to swap?
    • In the NZ climate (temperatures between 0->25 degrees celsius year round), what type / weight of oil should I use?
    • I've got a GROM audio kit for the stereo ordered, but does anyone have any ingenious ideas on where to mount a phone holder? Preferably near the bottom part of the centre console.
    • What's the best / most cost effective solution for a reverse camera / parking sensors that work with a tow ball?

Thanks! This forum has been really great so far, and I hope to contribute to it soon.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Here in the UK the '06 CM2 doesn't have HIDs from the factory, though those the model's that do use common D2S bulbs. There's a basic guide here for it, you shouldn't struggle too much.

I'd personally say 0w-20 is a safe bet for the current temperatures, you'll achieve better economy and performance than heavier oils - it's now recommended by Honda across here and many of us use it. That said you'll be fine on 0w-30, 5w-30 or 5w-40 all the same just with very slight differences on economy and performance. Whichever you go for, I'd stick to the big brands, Mobil, Castrol, Fuchs, Silkolene, Millers, Comma etc.

I personally have mine to the door side of the steering wheel attached to the vent, that way I don't have to look down to see a notification or what not pop-up. Brodit do custom fit mounts for loads of different models. There's of course also the more generic suction cup types which attach to the windscreen if you don't find that blocks your view.

Is your 2006 a Facelift or a Pre-Facelift (not sure when the cross-over was in NZ)? The Facelift has a factory input for a reverse camera on the back of the DVD-ROM drive for the Sat Nav, with an adaptor cable you can literally plug and play, with the Sat Nav screen automatically swapping when you go into reverse. There's numerous types of cameras which replace one of the rear license plate bulbs (and tapping the reversing light for power), then it's just a matter of running the cable up or using a wireless transmitter - I can most more details if you're interested as I have the gear here and am going to write a guide for it soon.

If you have a Pre-Facelift or a non-Navi model, I'd say you're best looking at an aftermarket kit that comes with a small screen which attaches to the windscreen.

As for parking sensors, you'll find a write-up for an aftermarket kit here, and a guide for the genuine Honda kit here.

3. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Thanks for the detailed reply!

Regarding oil, semi-synthetic or fully synthetic?

Regarding the HID lights, where on earth is the combination light switch I need to turn off?

I believe mine is the face lift model. I got it without the navigation unit, as I heard it was a common source of problems when they get older.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Always full synthetic for me, better protective properties over a longer period :Smile:

:pickingnose: Does that just mean the standard control stalk @Ichiban?

It's only an issue on the Pre-Facelift, the Facelift drives are very robust by comparison.

If you add your car into the club garage then it's easier for people to answer questions as they know exactly what model you have :Smile:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup standard stalk check if it set to auto.

6. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    I just found out that the front has been in a small fender bender at some point. Inside the right headlight assembly, everything is just floating about. It clearly needs a new headlight assembly... and it appears they just used a gunk sealant on the outside, so they did a shit job :no:

My question to you all is, will the sedan headlights fit the tourer? And if so, know of any decent sources?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Saloon and Tourer headlights are interchangeable, but make sure that you get the Facelift ones to match (blue corners, clear indicators).

Depo sell aftermarket headlights which are very close to the original Stanleys, over here they're around £90 a corner. I'd say they're a safe bet, you'll normally find them all over eBay.

speeding_ant likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I know where he's from, hence why I said over here :Tongue:

*sedan *wagon *ebay.com.au :Laughing:

SpeedyGee and speeding_ant like this.
  10. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Ha, brilliant. Thank you all for your help!

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :Grin:

12. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Was thinking about this in the shower... how does the auto levelling mechanism work in these headlights? I see there is something at the top of the headlight, which I presume is separate to the headlight assembly. How does this attach to the headlight? If it's not connected, or is broken, would this cause the innards of the headlight to be moving around?

Sorry for all of these silly questions :Whistle:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The front are rear suspension have these sensors which gives the headlights the cars loading.

14. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Where are the motors and how do they attach to the headlight?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Send me a PM with your JDM VIN mate I will dig up the pictures

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There you go item27 are the headlight adjusters for your car.

ACCORD WAGON  5 2006 KJ TYPE S 5AT.PNG