ICE & HFT Installing Xcarlink in 6th Generation accord

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by philoldsmobile, Friday 29th Mar, 2013.

1. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just thought I'd post a blow by blow guide to installing the Xcarlink in a 2002 accord Type-V without sat-nav or multi changer. The lack of CD changer or sat-nav made this the easiest possible installation, and as everything went smoothly it only took about 30 mins. The procedure will be much the same for any 6th Generation accord.

Step 1.

Put the car into Neutral (if its an auto and you leave it in park it makes removing the ash tray and trim difficult). Remove the plastic (or wood effect in my case) trim from around the gear lever area. start from the furthest back (towards the back of the car) and gently pry it out, its just held in place with clips. Be careful on the top ones as the trim is quite small there, but thoughtfully so are the clips. removing this trim will expose four black cross head screws as seen below.

Step 2.

Remove the screws and pivot the lower ash tray and surround to the left (this means you do not have to disconnect the cigarette lighter and ash tray lights. you will now see four yellow (zinc and yellow passivate) cross head machine screws which hold the cubby hole in. remove this and remove the cubby hole

Step 3.

With the cubby hole removed you can see there is quite a lot of room in there. You can reach up and feel the metal chassis of the stereo. The multi changer port is on the right (as you look at the stereo) directly below the existing wiring. Feel around where the wiring is on the right hand side and you will be able to feel the tab that engages into the slot on the Xcarlink connector. It might take some fiddling around to get it in, but be gentle as the Xcarlink connector is an excellent fit and will click in positively, but without undue force. it only took me a couple of attempts to locate it and plug it in - it goes home with a nice reassuring click.

At this stage its worth plugging the Ipod lead into the Xcarlink and checking everything works, as its a lot easier to do this now that after everything is installed. Having satisfied yourself that everything works as it should we now need to drill a hole in the back of the cubby hole for the lead to pass through. I located mine in the top left corner as you look into the cubby hole. Feed the Ipod lead through the hole, and plug it into the Xcarlink. I located my Xcarlink on top of the cubby hole, fixing it in place with a large number plate fixing sticky pad, folded over in half - it was an ideal size. If you have the radio or clock located there you may not have room, however there is plenty of space in the centre console to locate the Xcarlink anywhere you want.

Step 4.

In the greatest Haynes manual tradition, Installation is now the reverse of the dismantling procedure. There is plenty of room for the Xcarlink and its cables, so just tuck it all back in, making sure the cables don't snag on anything. There is plenty of room in there.

Congratulations! You're done, an Ipod nano sits beautifully in the cubby hole, and its probably big enough for an iphone as well. I chose the cubby hole because it leaves everything hidden, but you could just as easily use the cup holders or the open cubby hole above.

All done, and very simple. The only tricky part is plugging the lead into the back of the stereo - have a root around with your fingers first to check exactly where its going, and don't use excessive force. If you can't get it to go in, try rotating the plug through 180 degrees - there is a 'tongue and slot' type index on the plug and socket so it will only go in one way, it also needs to go in good and straight - you'll know when you've got it right.

I've found the Xcarlink will allow you to select as many ipod playlists as you have, just by continually pressing the disc + or - buttons, its not restricted to six playlists. When playing in playlist mode the ipod display shows a neat little Honda logo as well, a nice touch. To return to manual control of the ipod, just select disc one. you can skip tracks by using the standard CD skip controls, and it charges your Ipod to boot! Its an excellent product, and highly recommended.

Head unit in playlist mode. Note the head unit thinks its playing CD21! it will just keep clicking through as many play lists as you have

Honda logo on ipod when in playlist mode. (its my camera that makes the logo look grainy, its actually spot on)

Job done - no sign of any modification at all.

Last edited: Friday 29th Mar, 2013
  2. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent work mate, I shall be following this guide when I pull my finger out and fit mine, I bought the Y cable as I want to keep the use of my cd changer aswell

I'm in the process of filling a external hard drive full of music and I was a little unclear on how many files you can have as my understanding was you could only use up to 6 (CD01 - CD06) with up to 99 tracks in each folder (numbered 01-99)

So you can have as many files as you like?

I went for the USB/SD card version so I will be fitting mine inside the cubby hole, held in with heavy duty cable ties with holes drilled into the bottom of the cubby to hold it in place

I'm pleased you can fit it without removing the binnacle surround and radio, thanks again for the guide:GoodJob:
    philoldsmobile likes this.
  3. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was also under the impression it would only support six folders with 99 tracks in each, but it doesn't seem to be the case.. It sees all 34 playlists on my ipod without any issues. I do have a sneaking suspicion it may limit to six if you retain the CD changer though..
  4. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will try it with and without the y cable to see if they're is any difference
  5. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cool, would be interesting to see if there is..
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent stuff buddy :GoodJob:

I will increase the size of the images for all to see it clearly.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Fantastic write up :GoodJob:
    philoldsmobile and Ichiban like this.
  8. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to add to the how to I installed my Xcarklink today, the USB variant (SKU 424) with the Y cable as I wanted to retain the cd changer
    I sourced a 2nd cubby hole from my local breakers as I didn't want to butcher up mine incase I decide to remove it in the future and didn't want any nasty holes, also would be handy to include with the car incase I sell in the future

Here is what I have

Firstly I drilled out a section in the cubby for the cable to feed through

then 2 holes to cable tie the Xcarlink in, or optionally thinking back you could use sticky pads like what Philoldsmobile did

Unit cable tied into cubby

I can confirm unit works exackly the same with or without the Y cable, and indeed does recognise folders beyond CD06 as we discussed earlier in the thread, I am using a 16GB flash drive which Xcarlink accesses surprisingly quickly, and cubby can be shut with it plugged in so unit is completely hidden

Sound quality is very good and I am impressed, you press CD/AUX once for the cd changer in the boot, and twice for Xcarlink, I have the same headunit model as Phil

It is worth noting that the file system on your usb/flash drive must be FAT32, as it will not recognise NTFS (as I originally had mine formatted too without realising)
    Last edited: Thursday 4th Apr, 2013
    Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Another 6th Generation gets one nice one bud. I wonder why this wasn't done before may the floodgates open.
  10. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice one! Interesting to see the different methods of using the xcarlink, be it ipod, iphone, sd card etc..

The xcarlink is a superb piece of kit, its not the cheapest ipod connection device, but its the best, and in all honesty it is reasonably priced.
  11. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I agree it is a superb piece of kit, its a great feeling knowing I've got nearly 1200 tracks at my disposal

I can't recommend it enough, if anyone is thinking about it, at first at £80 it is daunting at first but in the end its worth every penny as if the worst comes to the worst the resale value is very good on them
    Last edited: Friday 5th Apr, 2013
  12. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just noticed an issue with the Y cable, the CD changer now has a awful whine that increases with engine revs, was kind of a laugh listening to it at first, after 5 minutes it has now become a tad bothersome:Blink:
  13. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Long shot.... might be worth running an extra earth to the cd changer if possible?
  14. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will look into that, cheers. I never did use the changer much to be honest, I just didn't want it disconnected and pointlessly sitting in the boot.
  15. jostree Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Portugal jostree Lisboa
    Can you tell me if it´s possible to put xcar link to a honda radio with cassette or it´s just to radio with cds?