General Insurance for Car Tax?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyB1976, Monday 13th Jul, 2015.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Just got my reminder in and doesn't mention presenting valid insurance docs when buying at the local post office. Is this new since they abolished the tax disc?

I know its less of a faff to buy online but its a little village and like to keep the PO there:Hey:

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its all stored electronically mate, no need to present insurance details unless you are in Ireland where its still the old process as such

AndyB1976 likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I just found out a friend has been driving around with no MOT since February in his Accord, this is currently the UK's fastest N/A CL9. He'd completely forgotten it needing doing, and as they stopped the reminders, and he hadn't been pulled by Police or the like, he didn't cotton on until his insurance renewal. So lucky...

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers guys.

It still requires the MOT to be presented strangely enough. You would think either both (insurance & MOT) or neither (being fully electronic) would be more logical.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I think that's going to happen before long too y'know, they're slowly moving us towards it with the license now being electronic too.

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah no doubt, more surprised about the MOT still being required.

7. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The DVLA's systems are so antiquated and not fit for purpose, it's unreal. Nothing ever gets updated in real time either. I also find it weird you get reminders for tax, yet you get nothing for MOTs.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It should be straight forward now, the system is all online, so would be easy to get it to send out email or text reminders.

Last edited: Friday 17th Jul, 2015
    Galgo likes this.