General Insurance renewal time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Thursday 8th Oct, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So my insurance runs out end of this month and got my renewal price through with Endsleigh, paid £315 last year, this year they want £830! :bigeyed:and my old insurers Admiral want around £700, thats around £200 more then they quoted my renewal year before. Do they make these figures out as they go along? or I wonder if the cat theft on these cars has increased premium because idiots have claimed off insurance. I only paid around £850 when I first bought the car at 21 with 0 ncb!

:no:

2. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Blimey that is a huge increase.
    Try calling a few more insurance companies also you could try Chris Knot

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't bother with any of the brokers (on here or elsewhere) for a car like yours. You will always get the cheapest (if that's what you want) on Go compare or the like.

I wasted a lot of time ringing different people at my last renewal only for them to be so far out of bed it was frustrating.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The price comparison website do make it easier TBH to get good quotes. you could use the lowest premium as a negotiating figure with brokers. If they can't better then you know.

5. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You may already know, but Confused.com is part of the admiral group. If you insure thru any of the group, it then stops you getting quotes a month before renewal, which defeats the use of a 'comparison' website.
    Also, why, when you ring them up do they always seem able to drop their prices?!
    Good luck.

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I found Google to be quite comparable to Confused although Confused let me put in my ClubCard number to check for possible discount and viola the quote by Tesco was indeed the cheapest at £1350..

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    One bad thing about the comparison sites is that they sell your contact details on to all the claim companies.

8. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    That's crazy,,, hope you get a more realistic quote from the robbers

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@exec

Few tips I use, my quotes have been 750,600 and 400 (19,20,21) (Admiral, Elephant, Endsleigh)

- Try and get quotes 30 days in advance
    - When entering address details, use a different house/flat number, tend to get cheaper prices if they aren't existing customers (change it back before checkout and price won't increase)
    - Fiddle with your occupation (within reason, as a student there are 5 different choices)
    - Get a quote by entering the car details manually without reg number then input it before checkout
    - Generate quotes daily on all four platforms (directly, gocompare, moneysupermarket, confused) and save quote numbers
    - Opt to pay monthly then switch back to annual right before checkout
    - Check cashback sites like quidco/topcashback
    - Finally call them all up and say blah offered £x so you have to beat it, Endsleigh were really desperate and took my fake Elephant quote without question back in May

I appreciate its a bit of work but I'm saving around £300 a yr.. it even works on my parents (around £40-50 max though)

Nels, FirstHonda, exec and 1 other person like this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I use gocompare too, thats how I managed to get the cheap qoute last year, mine runs out end of month so i'm gonna keep checking daily in the hope it comes down, something else i've noticed is most don't even include legal cover anymore you have to pay extra.

Would like to switch back to Admiral as they give me DOC on the cover but if endlesigh come down i'll stick with them.

The annoying thing is it was actually cheaper to insure an Accord Type-R and only £200 more to insure both with multi car cover last month!

Thanks for the hints and tips.

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No charge for HK members :Grin:

Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  13. Adrian Flux Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Norfolk
    Hi,
    Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Harvey, exec and Nighthawk like this.
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Phoned Adrian Flux and they quoted £1900 :Rolf:

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That must have been for a house extension or a conservatory, surely? What about their car insurance quote...:lol:

Chunkylover53, exec and legend-ary like this.
  17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    did you mention that it is for your Accord and not GTR???

exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    :gotcha: Maybe they give you a free car with that price. :Foolish:

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A gold plated one...:Laughing:

exec likes this.
  20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is that for your NSX as well?:Rolf:

exec and FirstHonda like this.