General intensive course for Hand Free

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by scrambled, Wednesday 30th Sep, 2015.

1. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England scrambled Manchester
    I have booked a 2 week 8 hour a day intensive course on how to use the sat nav and hands free phone features, unfortunately it's does not start until next year as the teachers are still trying to work out how to use the system LOL. What a waste of time this system is, my previous Ford was sooooooooooooo easy I have given up on my CR-V and only use speed dial from the menu as I could never get voice tags to work. Also Sat Nav is crap I use goggle maps on my phone it's a lot better.

Apart from the above I am really enjoying my new purchase.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi there @scrambled. Welcome to HK and congratulations on you CR-V.
    It's customary to Introduce Yourself so we can get to know you. It will also help if you add your CR-V to the Club Garage

The HFT and Sat Nav systems on Hondas are probably different to those you used before, and therefore may take a little geting used to.
    I liken it to PC vs Mac, or Garmin vs TomTom Each is very good, but different. A read through the manual and a little experimentation is well worth the time and effort.

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Welcome scrambled and why the intense course when it's very easy to use by reading the instruction manual

4. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tried that, certainly not easy for me, can't understand why I can pick up my phone and say "ok google phone home" dead easy, no voice tags, no button pushing etc. required.

My last car was a ford
    1 press button
    2 say phone
    3 say call home

Simple, no silly voice tags or quick dial numbers to set, no ploughing through manuals. Honda may be a great car but the HF and nav are crap
    GR-V 4th Generation petrol

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

A ford you can't compare to a Honda IMO.
    Maybe you should have brought another ford then.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid:

If you're missing all good points about the CR-V and whining about one aspect of then you're better off going back to Fords

RogerH69 likes this.
  7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    :whathesaid:

Seriously though - you'd probably get more 'love' if you introduced yourself, added your new car to the club garage, and then asked questions (if you had any).

IO will agree that some ICE systems can be daunting at first, but as mentioned above, people get used to doing things in a particular way, and anything else seems counter-intuitive. Additionally, manufacturers do their ICE in a way to maximize what they have to offer, and the capabilities of the in car unit, so some systems may seem more 'convoluted' than others.

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I do like the Avatar though, it's quite cool ! :Grin:

RogerH69 likes this.
  9. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

front car.
    Car rear.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

11. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

That's a cracking motor bud

12. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't get me wrong guys I think the CR-V is the best car I've owned apart from the sat nav & HF, I once owned a Honda s600 in 1965 then an Accord & a Quintet both with sun roofs that opened wish my GR-V did

SpeedyGee likes this.
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @scrambled :welcome:

That is a fantastic looking CR-V...:congratulations:

Not trying to 'scramble' you any further :Laughing: but one of the specific reasons I bought my CR-V - like yours a 2014MY - was because I find the HFT and sat nav so easy and simple to use when compared to the more modern alternatives, and wanted to make sure I got it rather than any of the updated versions. I hope you haven't just fallen over in shock! :lol:

I didn't try a Ford when I was looking but I tried plenty of others and couldn't get on with any of them. I'm not technical (at all!) and this is the same system as my previous Accord, so as @RogerH69 says I guess familiarity has a lot to do with it. Hopefully you'll get used to it.

On the other hand, I would add that I hate voice control - all of them, including my CR-V. It really is an answer to a question that nobody asked IMHO.

:garage:

Nels likes this.
  14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I couldn't tell you if my car has voice control on the phone as I've never bothered to find out. On the (very) rare occasions I have used the phone in the car I've just called up the phone's phone book on the screen and pressed the relevant name/number I want and then control the phone on the buttons on the steering wheel. It works perfectly for what I want.

The sat nav however took a bit of getting used to and at first I thought it was nowhere near as good as my Tom Tom. My view has now completely changed and having used it fairly extensively and become familiar with how it operates, I find it is every bit as good as the Tom Tom. The one thing I would like though is to have the road speed displayed as it was on the Tom Tom as this gives a fully accurate indication of the car's speed which the speedo doesn't. Checked this with the dealer and they told me that it isn't available (as apparently is the case with several other car manufacturers' built in sat navs).

Apart from that small point I'm very happy with the phone and the sat nav.

Keith

15. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for you reply, the hands free and navigation system would not have been a deal breaker for me if I had known the shortcomings before I purchased the car.
    My previous car was a Ford B-Max, Ford are at the forefront of a lot of technical innovations they were the first to bring out a heated windscreen ( I miss that :thumbdown:) and have certainly got a wonderful and easy hands free phone system reputedly to be the best my many motoring journals.

I looked at the Kuga and many other similar cars before deciding on the GR-V, a car that I'm very happy with up to now :jumpup:

16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Interesting point about the heated windscreen. When I bought my CR-V I enquired about a heated windscreen and the salesman said that Hondas don't have them, mentioning that Ford "invented" them and still have some licensing hold on them for which other car manufacturers have to pay to use. I don't know how true that is but I definitely would have had one if it had been available.

Keith

17. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was told by a Ford salesman that the licensing for the heated windscreens has ran out years ago.
    On the bright side I like my near side mirror dipping when I go into reverse gear.
    But wish it would mute the audio from the radio like the Ford so I could hear the rear driver assist beeps clearer

18. scrambled Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update on my Hands Free phone problems, finally sorted the problem with the Hand Free it seemed that every time I put in a voice tag then turned off the ignition the voice tags were being deleted, an upgrade at the main agents sorted out the problem. :jumpup:

SpeedyGee likes this.