Electrical & Lights Intermittent immobilizer on 2001 Accord Type-V

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by AlHarris, Sunday 24th Jan, 2016.

1. AlHarris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

After mislaying the key that I normally use, my 2001 Type-V worked fine for 30+ journeys over 4 weeks using the 2nd key. However, now for 3 out of every 4 attempts to start her the immobilizer warning light keeps blinking at me, the engine turns over and she won't start. The battery voltage was a bit low in the cold weather when this started but a fully-charged battery makes no difference.

I see from a search that the barrel is a potential problem, but she's done less than 50,000 miles, the barrel is pretty firm and, in any case, I don't see why a loose barrel might stop the inductance loop from reading the key's chip.

Before I tear my house looking for the main key (top tip: always hide your keys away from kids who like to play hide and seek with dad's things) to see if it's a key issue, does anyone have any advice for me?

I'll post up here what I find out for the benefit of anyone else who might have the problem.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could be a number of things. I'd say the car needs connecting to a Honda Diagnostic System to see what it is going on. Any other approach is just pure guess work.

3. AlHarris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Speedy, thanks. That's my option of last resort due to the expense involved.

I should add there are no fault codes and all the fuses are intact.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you can find someone with a HDS or SnapOn Solus system you'd be able to go through the diagnostic procedure.

5. AlHarris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I found the other main key. It works every time, so the key I've been using looks like the cause. A cloned chip should sort it.