ICE & HFT Internet Radio ?/?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Aty01, Friday 3rd May, 2013.

1. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys

I tried to search for an existing thread but I couldn't so I started a new one.

I am wondering if its possible to get an Internet radio connected to the car

Either way i.e integrated or connected thought the charger

Many thanks

Aty01

2. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I guess you mean something like a an FM transmitter for phone. 2 problems there.

- Crappy quality over the FM and need to change frequency if travelling over larger distances due to radio stations interference
    - 3G coverage and data usage.

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Isnt it just a case of playing internet radio on your phone and then plugging the phone into the aux socket on car radio?

4. Aty01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As bijomaru said the issue with plugging the phone in the aux is the data usage charges

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Sorry I am writing from a 7-gen owner perspective. No aux input here so I am using the FM transmitter but like I said it's not great and sometime takes away the pleasure completely. If you can facilitate the aux input then that's one less problem you have to worry about.

As for the data charges, there's no way around it I guess, unless you're on unlimited data plan. Not sure which internet radio you do listen, but I have Digitally Imported app and at medium quality 64kbps which is good enough, it should transmit ~30 MB of data over an hour.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Plug phone into Xcarlink on 7th Generation and you're good to go providing you have adequate data plan.
    Or Bluetooth module with Xcarlink and you don't need to even plug it in.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You're not just limited to your phone with AUX, Bluetooth will also work just fine.

I listen to internet radio in my 7th Generation quite a bit, I have a Bluetooth unit for my phone (aftermarket) and always have my phone on charge so I don't drain the battery. As above, unlimited data helps avoid any unexpected costs.

8. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

giff gaff is £12 for unlimited data thats limited to the fare use policy. Phone companies used to match tariffs so it may pay to call your own provider up? At least you may get better reception.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I use GiffGaff for mine, also both Three and Virgin other cheap sim-only monthly deals for about the same price.

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't believe in this day and age people still listen to the radio!! :Rolf: