Legend/4th Gen Introduce yourselves and your Legends....

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by SayamaAccord, Wednesday 28th Dec, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

...to other Legend owners.

2. Paddleshiftdrift New Member Getting Started

Hi, had plenty of Honda's decided to take the plunge and caught a '58 plate main dealer car for £12k in October 2011.
    Superb quality and the VTEC sings. Very impressed with S-AWD in the short spell of icy weather here in Yorkshire recently. I've had A4 quattro's and reckon the Honda system is better. Variable torque delivery very effective. Pirelli's all round on mine - pretty good but wish I could compare with recommended Yokahamas and Bridgestones. Find it's worth playing with tyre pressures to get best balance.

Only gripes are lack of iPod connection (acura's had this in 2008?), wish ICE played DVD (American mods available apparently) and paddle shift/gearbox/ratios aren't optimised IMO.

Overall very happy - VTEC a joy and comfort superb. Love the cabin and servicing costs same as a Civic. Only needed one thing so far, some new wiper blades - fitted for free and both done for £18...eat your heart out e-class owners! Long motorway runs at 80 get 32 MPG. Urban commute gets 22. Comparable with a friend of mine who runs a 3.0 TDI Phaeton.

Love to hear of other owners out there. I think there may only be around 500 of us with the 2006 revision!

Back in 2009 I heard that Honda dealers were offering the last models for £20k (£16k off list)

The legend is one of the most underrated cars of the last 10 years - a diesel variant would have increased sales x10 but then we wouldn't have the worlds largest capacity SOHC engine to enjoy. Sobering to think that this is the most powerful road standard (non mugen) road car engine made by Honda, NSX included.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Paddleshiftdrift and welcome to AOC Legend Owners.

It's great to hear that this car is as good as it looks. I would have bought one myself if I didn't need the additional load space.

Reports from AOC's affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda are that the mechanicals are pretty much trouble-free as well.

Let us know if you have any technical queries as we may well be able to assist on that front.

Thanks for starting things off and hopefully we will hear from other Legend owners very soon.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wow now that's what dreams are all about ,nice intro paddleshift-drift!! I was too smitten by the Legend and wanted it for a weekend car/hobby car. As you have indicated the cost of buying superb examples is a no brainer. However coming back and doing the simple financial of insurance that's when reality hit home.The insurance was a killer for me it was as comparable to a S2000.

Maintaining and repairing the Legend is on the same cost scale of a petrol Accord so the upkeep is low and hardly requires any attention. We have already covered the grey area for the Legend in the section and they are virtually bomb proof.

Please do upload the pictures of your Legend by clicking the insert picture icon, and a warm welcome again to AOC.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Jealous.I want one as well,pics please.

6. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just discovered this legend thread for the few of us living the dream. It would be great to link with fellow legend owners. With only 500 or so of the last legends sold in the uk, I have been linking with Acura rl owners who seem to know everything there is to know about these cars and have a very active forum. I bought my 2007 ADAS legend in may 2010 and have driven 45k pretty much trouble free miles to date and the car has 75k Absolutely love everything about the car except the fuel consumption. I only use the car for long trips and am averaging 28.5 MPG, but if you push it hard it can drop to high teens. When I bought it, the previous owner who lived in the city was averaging 19mpg. I have spent far too much time researching every facet of these cars and will be happy to share with anyone who has already taken this lesser known route to luxury motoring or is considering such a move.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome LivingLegend good to have you onboard.The Legend for me will be the natural progression from the Accord but it would need to be a weekend warrior.

Dare I say your car will be the last of big engined Honda we will ever see in the UK?

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In the future i would like to buy a Legend.Right now it would be to expensive to run for me.
    Great car.

9. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Haa, i found you.
    Hi to all, i am Henri from Finland, owner of a 2007 Legend.
    Had once 1993 Coupe Legend with manual trans, loved that car but it burned when i was coming home from work.
    After that it was time to try something different, i brought Audi TT 2001 from Latvia one Christmas when we were visiting my wife's family there.
    I paid all the taxes and registered it here in Finland, used it some time and one day i traded it to Legend. Legend has been kinda dream for me and now i have enjoyed it almost for a year.
    Legend is really rare car here, it is because Finland have this stupid car tax system, they add something like 100% to the cars factory price so Legends have costed here something like 76900 (Executive) and 82900€ (Executive Advanced). I have seen only one "live" here, wonder why....
    Some imported Legends are for sale sometimes but those taxes (also for used imported cars) are quite high.
    I have been active in AcuraZine Community forum in USA and posted there before.
    Here are some photos of my ride`s.
    First Coupe, rip.
    image01.
    image03.

Then my 2007 with 19`s and H&R lowering springs.
    19092012646_zps7e6ba1b6.
    19092012649_zps4535390d.

I have also this for summer time.
    First photo is when i bought it.
    Second is today`s look.

We have also family taxi, Chrysler Voyager 3.8 AWD from 1997 thirsty cow...

Some years ago, they made some beer here in Finland just for us Legend owners, pity that they don't make it anymore, it was quite good.
    LegendaAvatar.

Some mods that i want to make to my Legend:
    - USB connection, 2008 model have it, i think that i will use some Gromaudio interface.
    - Mud flaps, dealer here wants 300€ for a set, total ripoff they cost 100$ in USA
    - Navi map update, hard to find Eastern Europe map DVD`s from e-bay... Dealer price 200€
    - When i get enough money maybe some exhaust things, downpipes from USA at least.

SayamaAccord, AccordCU2 and Ichiban like this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Now that is what I am talking about!! Total Bad A** love it

Maintenanceman likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wow, that '07 does look good ! :Smile:

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Damn that is a nice car you have.
    Definitely would like to own one before I pop the clogs.

13. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    Hi,

Welcome Henri. I have the same colour Legend as yours but with the 18 inch alloys. Only had it 1 week and love it!

They really are an awesome car.

14. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    Thanks Sadsack and everybody else.
    The color is CarbonGreyPearl i think, how about your interior?
    Mine is black. I have also those 17" original rims with barely legal tyres and 17" OZ Racing Ultra Leggera`s for winter tires.
    It is hard to find rims that clear those big front calibers.
    This photo is from last winter, don't have those H&R`s in this photo.

Last edited: Wednesday 21st Nov, 2012
    Ichiban likes this.
  15. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    I can't wait to try the car out in the snow!!! First time I am looking forward to it snowing.....usually hate it lol.

I also have the black interior. Went to see a car with the ivory interior but it just was not for me.

All my friends still think I should have gone for a M******* or a B** (not sure if I'm allowed to mention German car brands on this forum :Aghast: :lol:) but I know I've made the right choice with the Legend.

How long have you had yours for maintenance man?

PS this is the only photo of my car I have for now. Will try and put some pics up over the weekend

Legend1.

Last edited: Wednesday 21st Nov, 2012
  16. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    I have had mine from last February, it was driven 129000 km. Previous owner made (payed) that big 120tkm service :Smile:
    I have changed oil and filter twice after that. Car have full service history, imported by Honda dealer. That was pretty important for me, i know what kind of cheap sh** some people are bringing here. Went to see one 145tkm driven black with beige interior, not for me... Also it didnt have any service history, rubbers of pedals were quite worn also the side of the driver seat. It was originally from Germany and top of that 2000€ more expensive.
    I also called that first owner, he traded Legend for a new RangeRover from that shop where i found it, he said that Legend is a good and reliable car, no accidents etc. That six months that Legend was in the shop dropped its price more than 10k, people just don't want to pay that kind of money for a Honda, lucky me. Dealer probably calculated that it is easier for him to sell my TT than this Legend and because of that offered me good deal.

17. buzbyten 146 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have imported an item called a IPOD pro which allows you to play your ipod thro the head unit .But you cannot adjust any treble or bass or anything on the head unit once its installed but you can use the volume ok .Also sat nav voice will not work .It depends what you want to trade off .£160 it cost me with tax and US mail
    E,

18. LegendG1 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hallo All, Bought my 5th Legend just over a week ago. Been searching for around 6 months after the gearbox in my previous model legend expired! I passed on private buys as I wanted the reassurance of Honda Warranty, knowing it would cost more from a dealer however if it was the right car I was happy to pay the extra for peace of mind. Life is not always about getting the cheapest deal in my opinion...... however on a lower value car I would be happy to buy privately if the service history/condition/owners etc are right for me.

Anyway, very happy with mine, 22,000 miles, full service history, immaculate condition, full spec, preferred colour and 17" wheels for me for ride quality! Very happy with deal from dealer and got 2 Years Honda Warranty included Free plus 3 Year Service Plan, AA, Pair of New Tyres and a Fixed Price on 3rd Year Honda Warranty. I'm just organising Honda Ipod connection, after some research I found that they did one.... other than that, very happy and if gentle on the throttle the fuel consumption is the usual Legend figures, which if you've owned one before you know what to expect...... although, be warned, it is hard not to punch that throttle occasionally!...... just to make sure the engine is there! lol

if you are thinking about one, go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Hi E, I saw your comment re Ipod Pro. I've been investigating and think there may be a Honda plug in that might work, Il speak to my Honda parts chap that I get on with, he's usually good researching things' I've got a Honda Part No for it as often Honda use the same part across different models but don't let us know. The other systems I found were US made for the Acura Legend, is this the case with yours, did you connect/cable under dash and into glove box or just hook up into boot? I see from my Hardback Honda Brochure that an Ipod connection was an option which is what made me search further, seems to plug into the back of the existing hifi although I don't know what functions it has or doesn't have! Il let you know and post details for others.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  19. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    About that i-pod thing.
    I am not using i-pod, i would like to have a usb connection and i found this:
    Honda - USB Android iPod Bluetooth kit [Grom-USB-HON] : Carputer-Shop | iPod Car Kits | Aux Adapters
    They are not listing Legend but Grom in USA is listing Acura RL 2005-2008, i e-mailed carputer shop and they are 99,99% sure that it will fit.
    2009 model have that usb and audio in connection, i think, we have also ready place inside the center armrest, there is plank "holes" where factory connectors will fit, i have seen one installed by one of the members of acurazine forum. There was some issue with that factory usb wire but i don't remember exactly.
    This is the Acura/Honda music link accessories from factory, i think that it will be found from Honda dealer easily.
    ACURA MUSIC LINK for 2007 ACURA RL
    And here from UK some of those parts.
    Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda
    Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

I am going to use something like these when installing.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-N7ApfjA83SG/p_113CAU1EX/Kenwood-CA-U1EX.html
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/212RdXf5stL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited: Monday 21st Jan, 2013
  20. LegendG1 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks MMan, I checked last night and came up with matching honda part numbers for a different model with the cost being considerably less than if it was a legend part however today I found out from my honda parts man that the parts were discontinued as one of the 3 items making up the full kit was a problem, in terms of the supplier to honda, so honda discontinued the kit.

There is a kit from usaspec.com which seems to fit, just need to see about connecting it as they seem to connect to a tuner in the boot as they have satellite radio option there. As always.... It is never straightforward doing the non factory fit stuff however it is satisfying when solved! You tube has very useful fitting video which is a great help, from hifi installers working on a legend.

Thanks again for the tips & info, appreciated.

G