General iOS apps for use with ELM327 Wi-Fi OBD2 reader

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galgo, Friday 5th Jun, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I ordered one of those Wi-FI ELM327 OBD2 thingies off eBay yesterday and plan to use it with my iPhone so I can get some realtime data from my car.

Can anyone recommend any good apps for the purpose? I like the look of DashCommand but I wondered if there was anything that could give me more technical information (is that even possible with just an app and a cheap ELM327 tool)?

Thanks!

2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Torque app is pretty useful.

3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Torque is only on Android.

4. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    On what car are you going to use it?

In older cars where the ECU does not use the canbus it will be very laggy, you won't be able to read more than 3-5 PIDs at once no matter what app you are going to use.
    If you have a modern car with ECU using canbus then it will be fine.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I see that you mentioned 'cheap elm327 tool'. I am therefore assuming you got one of the £15 to £25 models. In my experience (with the bluetooth versions), these have been pretty much hit and miss when it comes to quality and how much info they can read. They usually are pretty slow. I've been through a few different makes and models, and the 'cheap no name brand' ones have always been unreliable. Also, whatever you do, do NOT insert the CD that comes with these things in your PC, as they are invariably riddled with viruses and malware.

That said, if you look at something like Torque Pro and what info it can get, that is pretty much the limit of what you can do with these OBD2 readers. Not sure of what specific app you would use for iOS though, as I only use Android apps.

6. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is the one I bought.

I'm using it with the OBD Fusion app for iOS and it works fine as far as I can tell.

Didn't need to use the CD it came with. All I had to do was connect to the Wi-FI network the OBD tool automatically set up and it worked in a true "plug and play" sense.

Used it on my car and my other half's Skoda with no issue. No lag or anything either.

7. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    No Lag on 04 Accord? :Smile:

Monitor 7 PIDs for instant including the RPM and try to do a real time log and see the huge lag :Smile: