Off-Topic iPad Air

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Friday 1st Nov, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Christmas is coming a few apple devices are on the list and one is the iPad Air.

Today the floodgates have been opened for the Air, has anyone got it yet and any reviews. I own a 3rd Generation iPad Retina its not a replacement for me this time, but I could be persuaded to sell my 3rd Generation.:Whistle:

Google\Android lover this is not a thread which is better so please stay well clear of this thread, please. I have no intention of getting an android device.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm in that unfortunate position of pretty much having to buy an iPad for work, as much as I want to buy a new Nexus 7, I already own both a "retina" and standard screen Android deivce for app/web testing.

By the way, the Mini has the same CPU, RAM, it's lighter, packs the same resolution screen. Most importantly it's also cheaper.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The good point about the mini is you can hold it with you hand the larger ipad you have to be on a table or a cover which stands it up in your lap.

However the gift is for elderly parents who may struggle with the small screen, its their first smart device or anything modern.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The mother looks after an 80 year old friend who gets on well with a 2nd Generation iPad if that helps at all. However he couldn't get on with a laptop.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The 2nd Generation ipad was a full size version mate the mini didnt come till version 4 :Wink: on second thoughts I think I will have to scrap the iPad for them.

I have just released both of them are deaf as doorposts:Frown: so facetime or any audio visual experience will be very challenging, I doubt there is an accessibility app to make sounds amplified or work with hearing aids?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm aware the 2nd Feb is 9.7" mate, I was just trying to give some feedback on an OAP using an iPad. I'm not sure on accessibility options but I'm sure there's got to be some Bluetooth enabled hearing devices about.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry just assumed you were on about the Mini on the 2nd Generation. if Apple or Android made a tablet for OAP with hearing difficulties then Microsoft is dead in the water overnight.

My father in law screen on his Windows XP machine is large size icons and it works for him they offer accessibility options out of the box. Ipad you can zoom in but for hearing it has to be close to their ears. don't know if the bluetooth will be able to cancel other sounds around them?

Just seen this KB article for phones iPhone: Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC)

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've actually got to look into large text/graphics on Android for the mother's partner too. I've got really little experience with accessibility options outside of Windows. DPI settings or just dropping res work in that case.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    one option.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That does seem pretty useful, I use an equaliser app on my phone for balancing out bassy microphones when listening to the radio in bed.

Don't judge me :Wink:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lol squeezing the bass eh