Off-Topic iPhone 4S screen cracked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Monday 29th Apr, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys I removed my iPhone bumper so I could clean my phone. after cleaning the phone slipped out if my hand and developed a very small crack.The touch screen and all the features work. What do I need to get this replaced ? Any suggestions DIY or send the phone for screen replacement the crack is so small it hardly noticeable.

2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

A DIY replacement is possible but it can be a bit fiddly ! Check youtube for vids on screen replacement and see for yourself if it's worth trying or not

3. AccordEZJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Take it down to the Apple store, if its still under warrenty and you havent made a claim before they should replace it for you, one off goodwill gesture! Well thats what they did for for a few people I know...give it a try...

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Google replacement as seen something on apple repair (their own site i think) recently about £29 as i recall. could be wrong but sure tests what it said i was looking former battery cost for wifes 4s. Year warranty with apple to.

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    CJ I've done this few time for friends and clients myself. It's fiddly and takes some patience so think about it.

Use this guide if you want to have a go or just look at what's involved.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+4S+Display+Assembly/7277/1

You need to get the LCD and digitizer as you will not be able to separate one from another on your broken phone. Should be around £15 on eBay.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for the suggestion chaps, I am in cannot be bothered attitude to fix it myself so it will be going to a local chap who will do it in one hour .

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I took my galaxy S2 to the carphone warehouse to replace a smashed screen for £79. Its a long story but I ended up with an S3 instead :Thumbup:It was nice to have a proper shop that could repair phones as local trading standards informed me of how the back street shops round here salvage your own phone and in some cases just give you a completely different phone with IME etc .
    CPW have a "Geek Squad" department for phone repairs now so it may be worth a call as they were the cheapest I could find for my phone.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    that is my worry these back street dude will rip my phone apart for good bits and leave mine with faulty bits which will eventually kill the phone.

I may buy a new phone :Whistle: Helen may kill me lol

9. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd do that for you to return a favour but sending the phone via mail while you can have it done locally defies the point :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

iPhone Repairs - iPhone 5 - iPhone 4S - iPhone 4 | Geek Squad

Get a quote if theres a centre near you.

The galaxy S3 was £180 to fix compared to the £79 for an S2. Its all glued together apparently. The you tube clip made it seem easy to do but after a failed attempt on a HD2 I gave up on fixing phones. Those damn ribbon cables are tiny buggers that tear far to easily.:Angry:

Id like a HTC one if I had a choice.

11. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes she will! Lol

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When are you up north again Matey ? :Hey:

13. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Actually got a trip to Newcastle next Wednesday or Thursday :Smile: Are you around?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes mate I will :Wink:

15. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok well get the part and I'll bring my tools and experience and we'll fix that for you over a nice cup of warm coffee :Smile: