AutoExpress iPhone 5s can control new Honda Civic's dashboard

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autoexpress, Wednesday 4th Dec, 2013.

1. Autoexpress Auto-Generated News Feed

News 4 Dec, 2013 Honda has announced a new iPhone 5s compatible interface will be fitted to the upcoming Civic
    mf.

More...

Attached Files:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    poor Android users and the best bit is they made the announcement of this over Google Hangout :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

unhappy-android.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Tut, this is one decision I find extremely reckless for Honda. They should at least cover Android and preferably Windows Phone too.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No I think Honda have done the logical and sensible thing to adopt the iPhone to standardise their product implementation on the Civic. Android you have a few million devices and few software version it will become a nightmare to support a stable and reliable service.

Honda have in the past have always supported apple devices or made apple integration into their car first over another manufacturer.. that tell you something.

But make this announcement over Google hangout is classic a proper rubbing it in Google's face!

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Nonsense mate, there's 2 versions of Android as far as app development goes. The latest branch starting at v4 for ICE Cream Sandwich, and the v2 branch with Gingerbread and Froyo.

It's a very silly business decision to isolate a lot of the market by only supporting Apple products. Apple is the most loved and hated device manufacturer in the world. Some people would actually not purchase the car once finding out that it's tied down to the Apple ecosystem in order to utilise all its features, people don't like being held ransom or tied down like that.

Flip side, some people will also buy the car and then an iOS device just so they have that support.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's not a silly business decision if all your competitors are implementing iOS controls into their models.
    I also strongly doubt people won't buy the car just because it has the ability to be integrated with an iphone.

I expect they don't want Android anywhere near the car systems from a security point of view. I'd imagine android's bugs would cause havoc, (Think Toyota and no brakes).

Last edited: Wednesday 4th Dec, 2013
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well yes mate, there's only 2 main versions of Android to develop for. That's like saying you can't develop for Windows because there's thousands of manufacturers of Windows machines, it makes no difference. While yes there's more testing involved, more hardware specifications to performance evaluate, more screen sizes that need responsive testing - there's actually no difference as far as versions to cater for. iOS has what, 3 versions of iOS that are in main adoption atm?

I think you underestimate consumer snobbery, if I wasn't such a Honda fan I would also boycott a car manufacturer for their decision to boycott my chosen operating system in its latest features.

Firstly, native Android itself is rock solid stable and has been since v4 was first introduced. I can't think of any android bugs I've ever come across. Secondly, it controls over 80% of mobile market share and ignoring it is of course a silly business decision - while other manufacturers may be doing the same thing, it's those that choose to cater for the majority of the market that will see the widest adoption, it's simple logic. Security on Android isn't as tightly nailed down (it is of course mostly open with it's source available as the AOSP project), the application sandboxing and permissions from the operating system itself are pretty damn robust. Like Windows, 99% of viruses the user chooses to let in because they know no better. Banks trust Android, Honda can trust Android.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate you still haven't taken into consideration the Bluetooth standard is still open ended no two Bluetooth devices conform to a given standard. That is one of biggest issue still facing HFT integration for phone calls on all Honda cars.

with so many android device with varying standard of Bluetooth how can any manufacturer make a compatible system.. there is no issue with the android O/S it is the interoperability which sucks.and it sucks big time.

Apple one device or O/S one equals standardisation to one code.. simple really..

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There is bluetooth standards mate and has been since it was first introduced. The normal practice for them is to cater for v2+ which has been in use for a decade. I believe v3 worked on a higher speed and v4 was working on low power consumption. The core principles still remain the same.

No denying Apple is easier to cater for overall, I'm just saying you overestimate what's involved in Android development, it's not so different to Apple development in terms of time consumption whatsoever.

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Apple all plug in at the same place - much easier and also cheaper to do, plus the Apple fanbois now have another accessory for their phones - a car!!!

I am definitely on the android bandwagon, but I would never expect them to build something that accepted only HTC or Samsung phones, especially at todays rate of development and model release. Now the iPhone 5 is out with its smaller connectors in the bottom, I can see that interface remaining for at least 5 years much like the last one. The change in connector will have done wonders for the accessory industry as everyone queued for the latest phone from Apples stable.

*Sent from my 2013 MacBook Pro :Tongue:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

So do all Android, Windows Phones and Blackberry combined, they all use the MicroUSB standard - 100% the same. It's Apple that's the odd one out.

The industry was sued for using a non-standard connector, remember when every phone had a different connector? The entire industry conformed to MicroUSB, except Apple, they instead released a ridiculously over-priced MicroUSB adaptor for their entire range and claimed consumers could buy one if they wanted to. Again, it's Apple with 2 connectors on the market, and every other phone manufacturer (regardless of operating system) using just 1 between them.

I might sit here and fight the defense of other operating systems, but I'm not against Apple products. I own a MBP, I've owned iPhones in the past, I also need to buy an iPad shortly for work. The point is that cutting off over 4/5s of the market and the biggest operating system is wrong.

13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't see Honda making the decision on a whim.
    Maybe they just recognise another premium product when they see it.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You need to take a look at the HTC One, Sony Xperia or Nokia Lumia ranges - all are premium devices with high build quality.

As you touched on earlier, they're being sheep, they should be innovating like the Honda we all know.

15. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

You completely missed my point

Apple are by far the most popular single phone available and they ALL have their connections on the lower edge, therefore 5, 5S, 5C and whatever else is likely to come will work - in the same way up until the 5 all iPod docks would accept virtually every form of iPod and iPhone and even iPad.

Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Nexus, etc etc all connect in different places depending on make and model. Their connection type may be the same, but its not in a uniform location so getting the car to work with these is never going to be aesthetically pleasing or easily done in a manner which didn't look like an afterthought.

So as much as I am an HTC/Android fan, the fact that 30% of smartphone users own an iPhone, and they will always remain popular makes it the sensible option to go with.

Although 50% of smartphone users own Android devices, how would you determine which make or model to cater for? there is no way you would make it for the Samsung galaxy S4 - cos no doubt the S5 will be totally different again, same with the HTC One, so why not go with the market share, the single most popular phone and the one that will also have full support from the manufacturer of the phone. Not a hard decision in my books.

What they should of course do is create an app, available on both android and IOS, which allows you to pair your device to the car and control it wil the steering wheel buttons and whatever other tricks they have up their sleeves.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There's no mention of any dock for the car Pete, this works wirelessly over Bluetooth.

No doubt, but as Android controls an even greater market share it's rather silly to ignore.

I think you misunderstand how Android apps work, they are not in any way tied down to different models, they are tied down to different versions of the operating system. Since v4 compatibility has been fairly uniform, and over 75% of Android devices now run v4 or later. Across various countries in Europe, the lowest market share Android has is around 55%, the highest is over 90%. Even if they just released an application capable of running on v4 or higher, no matter which country you pick throughout Europe, that's still a greater market share of compatible Android users than iOS has altogether (and of course, iOS' 30% market share is split between 3 main versions too).

Exactly this, they shouldn't be ignoring the largest operating system in the world. If/when Windows Phone reaches a viable market share they should also cover that platform too.

17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

I agree, but I was talking about the physical phone - not the black magic that goes on inside.

I would dare say it will be a dock of some description if they are stating iPhone 5S, otherwise surely it would be pointless.

Unless of course it is purely for marketing, as iPhone 5S would be a popular search thread, and what will actually happen is a multi-platform connectivity via bluetooth or wireless

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

As you brought up, phone's come in different sizes and form factors. Even if there's some uniformity in current iOS devices, they won't go and build in bespoke docks as designs are subject to change over the coming years.

I had this thought myself, but Android integration would be such a big thing (like indisputably iOS integration is) that they wouldn't leave it off the headlines. It's a huge selling point.