Body, Paint & Styling Is GT front spoiler supposed to be loose or solid?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Rakoribs, Wednesday 15th May, 2013.

1. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 2009 ES GT tourer i'm getting soon had a loose front spoiler.
    The bolts underneath (at the back) seemed fine, but the top front lip that goes up and over the car body was loose - able to move up and down maybe 10mm+ (from memory).
    The spoiler movement had scratched (mildly) the body paintwork at body shape corners.

Should this be solidly fixed in place? (other fixings at the front edge or double sided tape?)

Cheers, Mark.

2. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Mark, mine does the same, the front edge is held against the bumper with double sided tape.

Will get mine off and clean it sometime, I'll ask HH if you can buy the tape, or if not some 3M off ebay should do the job.

I guess the tape fails after a while, mine has been grounded a few times also.

See the guide here:

Bulletins & Advisories - Saloon Genuine Accessories • Honda Karma

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get some Tigerseal and bond it on properly :Thumbup:

4. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Can be useful to be able to separate them for repair, hence Honda use screws, bolts and tape I suppose.

5. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got to admit i'm not keen on Tigerseal after seeing a m8's recent attempts at body modifications to his Focus ST - that stuff looks pretty permanent.
    He explained it was a type of silicone, but when i saw the job - its rock solid and looks like it'll take a grinder to get it off.

If i ever want to attach A to B in such a way as it'll NEVER fall off, that looks to be the stuff i'd want to use.
    Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

Double sided tape it is, i better make sure the garage don't use anything stronger in case i need to take it off at some point.
    I guess i'd only need to if i need to take the bumper off or if it breaks and i need to take it off to replace it.

I'm wary of permanent repairs due to past experience.
    The boot sub woofer panel (plastic backing frame) is broken too, i've pointed out that if they are thinking of glueing it in place, just to leave it and i'll do something with it.
    Particularly as i'll want to take the sub & amp out and have a look at what the OEM setup is :Whistle:
    Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for the pdf as well.

Last edited: Wednesday 15th May, 2013
  6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd say your mate was out of his depth using it then. It is permanent, although I see no reason why when adding your spoiler on, you would want to take it off anyway???

Different if you smash it on a curb or whatever and you want to replace it, but truthfully, how many car owners of any type put a spoiler/front lip on and then take it off again repeatedly?? :Unknown:

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well you might want to TDK. For example, my front spoiler is kerbed on the edges, so its good to be able to unbolt it and respray it, not have to respray the whole bumper or try and mask it off. Or if I replace my front bumper, I can unbolt and refit the spoiler without having to buy a new one.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

True - depends on the owner, as with most things.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I had my a spec kit on my tourer for over four never had to take it off , park the car sensibly don't climb kerbs..etc etc. The original tapes and fittings provided in the Honda kit is more than adequate to last a lifetime provided they were installed correctly.

edit for your info the Type-S and ex gt front spoiler DO not come fitted from the factory , the dealer has to install them.

10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Previous owner damaged mine, I'm not that clumsy.

Obviously the Honda tape isnt good enough as both mine and Rakoribs spoiler are hanging down. Seems to be at the front edge, one side over the most prominent part between the fog lamps and central grill.

I'll get mine off in a few weeks clean it up and refix it, I'll take some DIY pics.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats more to do with the previous owner(s) than the Honda tape/adhesive...as you said, previous owner damaged yours.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was going to say that since when it Honda fault when you have neglect ! I have not faced that issue ?

13. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi DK,
    It wasn't a reference to the job my friend had carried out (although i'm not keen on max power style exterior stick-on bits), but to the qualities of the TigerSeal itself - solid & permanent.
    Permanent repairs of that type come with risks - i've been caught out in the past thinking "i'll never need to move that again".

I don’t know yet if the spoiler/splitter needs to come off to remove the bumper? If that’s required for whatever reason at some point.
    But if the spoiler get broken, or as Rich has suggested requires a refurb, I’m not creating more work for myself.

Each to their own.
    Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahem... the wife will be insured to drive my car.
    Nuff said :Smile:
    Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

The spoiler on the soon-to-be-mine Accord doesn't look at all damaged, so it looks like a failure of the tape - but i have no idea of the previous history, it may even have been removed for some reason and not taped back on, just bolted.

I guess i'll be having a go at this job as well, i'll try to remember to take some pics.
    At least on that job i won't be missing out taking pics due to manky oily hands, as thats my usual excuse :Wink:
    Cheers, Mark.

Last edited: Thursday 16th May, 2013
  14. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Mark,

You can take the bumper off with the spoiler/splitter in place. Its just attached to the front edge of the bumper, doesnt interfere with the bumper fixings.

regards

Rich

15. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gotcha m8.
    Thats one less thing to consider, although of course i'm sure i'll never have any reason to want to take the bumper off either (fingers crossed).
    I've picked up my car now - they have fixed the spoiler/splitter solidly, so i'll hope/assume it was with double sided tape, too late now anyway.
    Cheers, Mark.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As long as you don't go kerb fighting your spoiler will be fine. :Thumbup: