General Is Honda a Fun & Engaging Brand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Sunday 9th Feb, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is a question for all Honda owners is Honda currently in 2014 seen as a ‘Fun & Engaging’ Brand? Please thing of the new cars coming like the Civic tourer, Type-R, NSX and Vezel.

Answers on the postcard please

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd say no purely because there's not enough marketing out there to remind us of it. My brother didn't even know about the awesome new Type-R to come, people at work never knew about the new NSX. But they all know about the new Audi Quattro coming.

I still think Honda is seen as the safe and reliable choice with the 7th Generation Civic type-r being the last real fun car so to speak. Just my thoughts that's all.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    I don't think Honda has ever been a 'Fun & Engaging Brand', their focus has always been on reliability, efficiency and technology.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I don't think it is seen as fun and engaging but ironically my 6th Generation has been the most fun and engaging drive, still feels like new and I still enjoy driving it.

More ironically some brands perceived as fun and engaging (take your pick from vw, renault, peugeot, citroen) are anything but and thats before you even talk about the engineering (maybe that's where the fun and giggles are to be found lol).

5. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Is Honda a Fun & Engaging Brand?

If you take into account manufacturers like Citroen, Peugeot and Vauxhall , Honda perhaps does not rank in the top for Fun and engaging. However for these manufacturers the fun and engagement (games) starts with poor reliability, electronics and engaging with people like the AA and RAC!
    Mike c

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So are we all saying Honda needs to create a new niche to celebrate its core hallmarks of reliability, efficiency and advance technology more appealing to people.. Currently Honda does not do enough to promote its car to highlight these qualities it more focused on brand identity?

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In short NO it is not.

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle

Hmmm...thats how I perceive it already, I guess when you mention Honda you typically get reply such like "..goes on forever... never breaks down... lot of toys for the money".

What I think the problem is that Honda need to inform that qualities they have are not mutually exclusive with fun and driving experience. I guess the impression that solid reliability, efficiency and technology equals "grandad mobile"

Honda maybe needs to step back from promoting what is a 'given' in my eyes and try a different bit of marketing spin telling people what they want to be wanting. To quote Steve Jobs

“people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”

Ichiban likes this.
  9. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I don't think Honda brand is associated with those 2 words in particular.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good point however just coming back to this question from today's perspective.. Honda in the UK wants us the consumer to base our perception of Fun and Engaging on these core values..

1) The new Honda Civic Tourer with class leading interior space.
    2) fuel efficiency of the new 1.6 Diesel engine.
    3) BTCC victories from 2013 and using the new Civic Tourer a BTCC car.
    4) arrival of two sport cars Civic Type -R and NSX.
    5) Return of Honda at the F1 scene in 2015 with McLaren.
    6) 5 years servicing and warranty deals with all new cars..
    7) Competitive new car financing deals.
    8)Earthdream Engines.

and a few other not to mention buy British made products. Now honestly answer can Honda clearly think to announce to its target audience "They are back" to the good old days.. or is too little to late.

11. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Is Honda a Fun & Engaging Brand?

Engaging = winning; attractive; pleasing: an engaging smile.
    Fun= something that provides mirth or amusement:

Looking at these definitions I would say : it is a winning product that is attractive and pleasing me more each time I drive my CR-V. It makes me smile!
    It also provides me with a lot of enjoyment when I look at it when I have just cleaned it and it is sparkling clean.
    So yes, my Honda is fun and engaging!

Mike c

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Is Honda a Fun & Engaging Brand?

Good stuff so its clear to see your perception of Fun and Engaging is clearly defined based on your car but your perception on Honda the whole isn't?

13. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I would say no.

However, there are very few, if any, other manufacturers that make adverts that are as appealing to the masses. Not only appealing, but amusing and sometimes tear jerking.

What they do not do is provide a vehicle in the current line up that even remotely gets the pulse rate higher than normal. That is unless you are a sad act like me and like cars predominantly purchased by members of the community who are collecting their pension.

With that in mind, Honda do the same as every other manufacturer - create a vehicle appealing to the masses for a certain use. Where they fail in my mind is with an equivalent to Mercs AMG, Audi's RS or BMW's M-Sport. Mercs do nothing for me, but a C63 AMG estate gives me wood, A4's are possibly the most boring car on the road, but an RS4 is flat out horny - I am yet to see an M I ould actually own aside from the 335D Touring X-Drive with the MASSIVE brakes. Honda doesn't have those options.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pete I doubt the Japanese manufacturer will get into a horsepower battle with the European manufacturers. In the 80s and 90s there was a gentleman's agreement among all the japanese car manufacturer not to exceed 280PS and avoid a potential war.

Now that agreement is some watch relaxed with the LFA , the new NSX and other Japanese supercars.Mugen offer a similar service for Honda , it not as widespread as the Germans.

Come on guys get your thoughts across :Smile:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    bumpy to thread