Aftermarket Kit Is it possible to retrofit Cruise Control?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Emeye, Friday 7th Jun, 2013.

1. Emeye Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've recently acquired a 2005 plate FR-V 2.0SE for my wife and we love it. The only thing it's lacking which would have been nice on our recent holiday to France is cruise control, which the Sport models have. On the 15 hour, 715 mile drive back to Manchester I actually ended up with small blisters on the side of my throttle foot where it was pivoting against the pedal!

So, anyone any idea if you can buy the switches and then cable it up relatively easily like I had done to my first 5th Generation Golf Gti by the main dealer for £150 IIRC, or is it a massive ball-ache of a job?

cheers. :Smile:

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Emeye,

I'm not familiar with VW products and aftermarkts products, but I do know it's (financially) impossible to mount the original Honda cruise control on your car.
    The throttle body is 'drive by wire' and it's the engine ECU that decides what happens with the throttle valve.
    Was the Golf a classic old school cable driven throttle valve?

3. Emeye Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No, the Golf was a 57 plate 5th Generation GTI. It's quite a common VAG mod and dealers regularly have an offer on. They change the indicator stalk for one with a cruise switch on it, fit a small section of loom and then plug it into their diag PC to tell the ECU to enable cruise control.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've seen an aftermarket set up on a CR-V before now. Have you had a search to see if you can get hold of one?? It would be a case of cutting into the loom for the brake,clutch and accelerator switches and no doubt a feed and earth. The unit itself should then control the voltage output to the throttle and ECU, thus keeping the same speed.

5. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is the first car I've ever had with cruise control. (2009 CR-V)I love it!

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    My current Accord 2011 2.0 i-VTEC is for me the first car I own with cruise control, but I must admit I wouldn't mis it for my driving pattern. It was once usefull for a long drive in Germany since I bought the car last November. Looks like Belgium is to crowded/to small to make it an interesting thing.