Electrical & Lights Is my battery not beefy enough?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Thursday 11th Jun, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I bought my Accord back in January it had a 62Ah RAC battery which didn't even fit on the tray properly, and was held in place with a Ford battery clamp lol

I replaced it with a Bosch S4 021 battery (type 158 I think it is) which is 44Ah and has a CCA rating of 330 amps. Looking on the Lings Honda website and Google Images, the OEM battery (p/n 31500-ST3-111HE) appears to be a 48Ah battery with a CCA rating of 420 amps.

Assuming I make sure my battery is always charged up, is it OK to stick with it or should I sell it/keep it as a spare and buy the OEM one?

The only reason I got the Bosch is because I've always bought them for other cars and have never had issues with them. The Bosch battery application guide shows that the one I bought is the right (and only) battery for my 2.4.

2. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Get onto Holdcroft they do great deals on batteries for instance one for a idtc 7th Generation diesel £44 delivered. No body could match that ata the time.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The CCA rating of 330 is a fair bit down on on the OEM 420. No panic, but that could cause an issue on a really, really cold start.

4. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    As John said, Holdcroft Honda is a very good place to buy a replacement. I bought one from them for my diesel a couple of years ago and they were cheaper than anywhere else for a battery with an excellent spec.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    7th Generation Petrol Accord are lazy starters they always have been so don't think your starter motor is weak or the battery.

Its is a characteristic of the car which is annoying and no amount of money throwing will fix it. Have a read of it Article: 7th & 8th Generation Honda Accord Long Crank Times?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's odd neither of my two 7th gens ever had a long crank. Always consistently short.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can't be they are all long and slow your perception may be short lol