Electrical & Lights Is the genuine Honda Parking Sensor kit worth it?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by -BA-, Friday 3rd Jan, 2014.

1. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am considering getting the read parking sensor kit for my Accord Tourer but the prices are extremely high (£420 for the rear only and £620 for front & rear). I have heard mixed reviews on after market setups and I would really like one that is as integrated into my stereo system as possible and don't particularly want some dashboard addon displaying distance (an audible alarm is fine).

Could you guys comment on the kit and let me know what you think please?

2. mr.xkr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It works like a charm, but price does not worth it, there are several great kits of companies with great quality.

I've only rear parking sensors, and I have no display distance, I though the OEM had, but installed after buyed they do not (or if not installed both, front and rear).

If I were in your condition, I will search aftermarket ones.

3. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I fitted to my both cars and my friends car dolphin sensors, I had them on my car over two years, my friend nearly two years and they're faultless (touch wood) they have a wide range of colours and many kits available with displays or without, worth to look at them ;-)
    Dolphin Parking Systems - Colour co-ordinated reversing sensors

4. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i think it is a great thing to have parking sensors if you are not sure of the size of your car and it saves the missus getting out to see if you got enough room to park it :Wink: I don't have them and wouldn't be sure about using them

5. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looking at various possibilities and would love to know if anyone has tried one of these? It replaces one of the number plate lights and has a camera attached.

Number plate light with camera

6. 1093 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have fitted Bosch Park pilot rear sensors to my saloon not the cheapest but they seem to be very well made and come with good instructions, you can also visit the Bosch website for fitting guide. You will need a 26mm and 35mm hole saw (Ebay both for less then £10).
    the sensors need painting unless you want to keep them black. The audible alarm has an LED distance lights also, I wasn't worried about the LED lights so fitted the reversing speaker within the right rear car speaker as there was room, the system works fine and is easy to set up. The alarm could do with being a little louder I have adjusted the volume which is possible but it might be where I've located the alarm.
    if your interested check it out on the Bosch website under Park Pilot.

7. mr.xkr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Also, I do not recommend it, sensors will be heard from the front or the rear side, if you install them on the stereo, you will hear it everywhere.

It maybe look stupid, but if you install both sensors, it is not because you will not difference them.

Bosch are a great, I know some who installed them and no problems until today.

8. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have taken a look at the Bosch Park Pilot and like the look of it but it states on the Bosch website that it is not for use with cars that have a trailer hitch. This isn't the case with all parking sensors is it? My local Honda body shop have quoted between £60 and £90 to fit a kit and are offering me fitting at cost due to some messed up work on my bumper that has caused delay. Does this sound a reasonable offer as I am not keen on fitting them myself?

9. 1093 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The quote you have been given for fitting is a good price and even better if it includes painting!!
    You can purchase an optional switch from Bosch if you have a trailer hitch, I don't know the cost of these.
    I'm not sure about about other sensors but I do know the bosch ones are good quality.

10. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well Amazon have the Park Pilot at £130 and it says it can be used with trailer hitch but am unsure how much better it will perform over a Dolphin kit. Could even get one of the camera Dolphin combos for that price. No reviews I can find either. Hmmm...

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Towbar :Wink:

In fairness though, the tourers are very deceptive when reversing, had a couple of moments where I have been a solid 2 or 3 feet away from an object and was dubious about going further.

Towbar helps though :Tongue:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Also know as shed pulling device :Wink:

13. 1093 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Contact Bosch Uk I'm sure they will help with any questions you may have. I'm not sure but was told the genuine sensors are made by Bosch if you look at the fitting instruction via Wiki on this site for the originals it's very similar to the park pilot.
    as to the other brand it can't comment.

14. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    or racecar transportation enabler :Wink:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah you have top have a lot of Motorsport stickers on your car to distance yourselves to the shed pulling fraternity.. :Wink: a Towbar used for anything else apart from pulling a shed is allowed . sheds should be taken to Top gear for their proper disposal.

16. -BA- Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right I have the Bosch Park Pilot ready to be installed next Friday. They are going to charge me £90 + VAT to fit. Would have loved them to fit the camera and rearview mirror monitor too but they wanted 8 hours to fit that which I just can't justify.

I have sourced the Bosch switch for turning off the Park Pilot when using a trailer but it is a horrid old style lever switch. I am after a standard push button switch for my dashboard to fit in one of the spare slots. Anyone know where I could source something like that please?